• Help Support TNDeer:

Centerfire for Yotes - Daytime

Yes, except for hunting them during archery and muzzleloader seasons, you can not during those seasons. All other times of the year you can hunt yotes with centerfire.

When I checked the newest regs I see nothing that would make buckshot legal for ANY legal hunting.

It can be legal for hog depredation permits.
scn, what is one supposed to use for night hunting of coyotes and bobcats, which if I remember correctly, is legal effective 8/1? I know it's shotgun only and I thought I read where it states no single projectiles. Maybe I am mistaken.

OK, I read the night hunting section in the Hunting Guide where it says buckshot is legal. I find nothing in the Proclamations that are the actual legal part of the regulations that back that up. Unless it addressed somewhere in another Proclamation, that looks like a mistake in the Hunting Guide. On the Table of Contents page of the Guide, it states that the Hunting Guide is NOT a legal document. The legal documents are statutes, Rules and Regulations, and Proclamations.

In the Manner and Means section it continues to have this as the shotgun ammunition regs for furbearers:

Shotguns (including muzzleloading shotguns) using ammunition loaded with T shot (0.20 inch diameter)or smaller.

I guess that is something else for the agency to address and clarify in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Note #11 in the FIREARM, HUNTING DEVICE AND AMMUNITION chart states in the second sentence, "Buckshot and smaller shot is allowed." There are two separate sentences and the second sentence does not specifically tie in with the nighttime hunt. I think maybe the intent is for that 2nd sentence to go along in conjunction with the first sentence which mentions the nighttime hunt.

Note #11 in the FIREARM, HUNTING DEVICE AND AMMUNITION chart states in the second sentence, "Buckshot and smaller shot is allowed." There are two separate sentences and the second sentence does not specifically tie in with the nighttime hunt. I think maybe the intent is for that 2nd sentence to go along in conjunction with the first sentence which mentions the nighttime hunt.
And, that very well may be the intent. There may be an ammended version of the Manner and Means Proclamation that hasn't been posted.

The version of Proclamation 24-11, Manner and Means of Hunting, Taking, and Trapping does not have that language for footnote 11. Here is what the published footnote 11 says:

11. The footnoted firearms, hunting devices and ammunition are not allowed during the night-time coyoteand bobcat only
season.

So, unless there is a later version of the Manner and Means Proclamation than what they have posted on the website, it looks like that is another Hunting Guide mistake. There is nothing that I can currently find in Proclamation 24-11 that makes buckshot legal for coyotes at night. Again, the Proclamation is the legal document, and the Hunting Guide is not a legal document.

I did not listen to the Commission meeting where the nighttime season was discussed and voted on. It may have been that the Commission intent was to allow buckshot, but then they failed to change the Manner and Means Proclamation to reflect that. Maybe this is the agency's way of "correcting" the mistake of not amending the Manner and Means to reflect what the Commission wanted? ? Or, it could be mistakes in the Hunting Guide that were not caught before it was published.

Check with TWRA on their interpretation. As it reads right now, buckshot would not be legal.

And, I certainly stand ready to be corrected if I am overlooking it in one of the legal documents.

I did not listen to the Commission meeting where the nighttime season was discussed and voted on. It may have been that the Commission intent was to allow buckshot, but then they failed to change the Manner and Means Proclamation to reflect that. Maybe this is the agency's way of "correcting" the mistake of not amending the Manner and Means to reflect what the Commission wanted? ? Or, it could be mistakes in the Hunting Guide that were not caught before it was published.

Check with TWRA on their interpretation. As it reads right now, buckshot would not be legal.

And, I certainly stand ready to be corrected if I am overlooking it in one of the legal documents.
I really appreciate you taking the time looking this over, your really a blessing on this site. Before I take off with buckshot I will contact twra.

OK, I read the night hunting section in the Hunting Guide where it says buckshot is legal. I find nothing in the Proclamations that are the actual legal part of the regulations that back that up. Unless it addressed somewhere in another Proclamation, that looks like a mistake in the Hunting Guide. On the Table of Contents page of the Guide, it states that the Hunting Guide is NOT a legal document. The legal documents are statutes, Rules and Regulations, and Proclamations.

In the Manner and Means section it continues to have this as the shotgun ammunition regs for furbearers:

Shotguns (including muzzleloading shotguns) using ammunition loaded with T shot (0.20 inch diameter)or smaller.

I guess that is something else for the agency to address and clarify in the coming weeks.
I know you retired, but surely wardens should be up to speed on this, since they have to enforce these rules? Maybe call or message your local officer for clarification. Or would the regional offices be able to give a definitive answer on this?

Hate there is confusion, but not the first time.

SCN, as timberjack previously stated, you are a blessing to us on this site. Thanks for reading thru all this and weighing in with your interpretation. I will check with Mark (local TWRA officer where I hunt) to make sure we on our leased land are all on the same —and correct—page! Many thanks!

The reality is that people are going to shoot coyotes with whatever they have handy at the time.
During deer season, that's true. If I'm deer hunting and see a coyote, it turns into a coyote hunt. But my question was specific to the new regulation that recently enacted for night hunting. I dont think you'd want to be caught hunting at night with a centerfiire rifle. At least, I won't be.

Latest posts

Back