• Help Support TNDeer:

Christian county Ky

A river doesn't discriminate. It dumps the same sediment to both sides. What is different is the regulations and bag limits.
100 percent disagree. Why does Walnut grow in some soil but doesn't grow in others? Why does some properties yield more bushels per acre than others? Soil.
Look at East Tn. If we go by your logic we should have plenty of does. Got some pretty farms that look similar to middle Tn farms that are loaded with deer. The only thing missing is well the deer. Up until this year the regulations have been in place protecting the does. I just can't believe if we restrict ourselves anymore we will grow more and larger deer. Just my opinion

Last edited:
Then would there be any argument to say kentuckys regulations also have a lot to do with quality bucks. Compared to places that have higher kill limits and long gun seasons. ? Or is all just soil like you hear constantly.
I've run photo censuses in southern KY and the adjoining counties of northern TN. Same buck age structure. The key is the soils of the sinkhole plain of that region. I've seen MONSTERS in the northern half of Montgomery and Robertson counties that correspond with the sinkhole plain. Soils, soils, soils...

Below is the region I am talking about. This area - on average - produces the largest bucks I've ever photo censused in the Southeast.

Attachments

• sinkholeplain2.webp
    sinkholeplain2.webp
    193 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
For sure, KY soil is better, and KY's short gun season with a 1-buck limit allows more bucks to survive the season. Half as many days to gun hunt in KY; buck limit is half as many.

Not saying I prefer this over TN's 2-buck limit and longer gun season.
Just pointing out how there are some noteworthy differences, besides the soil, in KY vs TN.

You do have to learn to leave the 130 inch 2 year olds alone though!
IMO, one of the biggest differences between what happens north vs south of the TN-KY state line is LESS antler high-grading in KY than in TN.

Why?
Many, many reasons, but just saying, even visiting non-resident hunters to KY are less likely to kill a top-end 2 1/2 than they would while hunting in TN.

Can't have many top-end older bucks when most top-end younger bucks are killed by the hunters.

I have seen maps of the soil and it's well documented, getting good minerals for so many years has helped all the critters I am sure, you can feed them but it's no where near the same, mother nature knows best lol. Anybody have that map that shows it? you will get big deer anywhere but consistency comes with the better soil. age is #2 aging is hard to do in a lot of hunting as you only have mere seconds to decide shoot no shoot, waiting for a better look has always been tough lol. at this age missed opportunity's do not hurt as they once did, seasons long and hopefully there will be a next year.

A river doesn't discriminate. It dumps the same sediment to both sides.
Not always the case.
Look at the TN River between Stewart & Henry County, TN. Nearly all sediment gets deposited on the west side of the river (Henry Co).
Why?
Because most of the east side is high rocky bluffs (Stewart Co).

For sure, KY soil is better, and KY's short gun season with a 1-buck limit allows more bucks to survive the season. Half as many days to gun hunt in KY; buck limit is half as many.

Just pointing out how there are some noteworthy differences, besides the soil, in KY vs TN.

IMO, one of the biggest differences between what happens north vs south of the TN-KY state line is LESS antler high-grading in KY than in TN.

Why?
Many, many reasons, but just saying, even visiting non-resident hunters to KY are less likely to kill a top-end 2 1/2 than they would while hunting in TN.

Can't have many top-end older bucks when most top-end younger bucks are killed by the hunters.
That makes sense, thanks

Why?

I don't see any indication more bucks are surviving to older ages in KY. Buck age structure is the same either side of the line. However, I do agree there is less antler high-grading.

I hunted two years non resident public hunting when my son was going to UK. Never made it to the western counties of Kentucky but even the central counties have large number of quality deer. Never got a shot with my bow but saw some nice ones.

I don't see any indication more bucks are surviving to older ages in KY. Buck age structure is the same either side of the line. However, I do agree there is less antler high-grading.
I definitely agree with you here, at least as it relates to Ohio.

What frustrates me is that when working in williamson and davidson counties, seeing the potential that our deer have if not high graded/allowed to get to an older age (whichever one thinks the reason is).

The average "neighborhood" or golf course buck I see working in brentwood and Franklin is on par, at least size wise, with a majority of bucks I see every year in Ohio.

On a statewide basis, the only practical way to reduce hunters' antler high-grading (killing off the younger bucks with the largest antlers, at a higher rate than same-age young bucks with smaller antlers) may be by simply having less deer hunting.

Generally speaking, anywhere there is deer hunting, we hunters tend to choose bucks with larger antlers over those with smaller antlers. The result is that mainly those bucks with average to below average antlers become our fully mature bucks in TN. We kill off our best stock before they can approach their great antler potential.

On a statewide basis, the only practical way to reduce hunters' antler high-grading (killing off the younger bucks with the largest antlers, at a higher rate than same-age young bucks with smaller antlers) may be by simply having less deer hunting.

Generally speaking, anywhere there is deer hunting, we hunters tend to choose bucks with larger antlers over those with smaller antlers. The result is that mainly those bucks with average to below average antlers become our fully mature bucks in TN. We kill off our best stock before they can approach their great antler potential.
This is true.

I definitely agree with you here, at least as it relates to Ohio.

What frustrates me is that when working in williamson and davidson counties, seeing the potential that our deer have if not high graded/allowed to get to an older age (whichever one thinks the reason is).

The average "neighborhood" or golf course buck I see working in brentwood and Franklin is on par, at least size wise, with a majority of bucks I see every year in Ohio.
Agree. Although southern Davidson and Williamson counties have quite good soils, and can produce some really huge bucks, there is still antler high-grading in huntable sections of Williamson County. But in the unhunted sections, you can find some whoppers. I've seen some monsters in Belle Meade and Belle Forest.

Agreed. IMO that is the big value of a 1 buck limit. (not trying to start a debate about this or say TN should go to 1 buck). But I imagine hunters are much more selective with only one tag, meaning more of those "pretty good" bucks survive another year.

Agreed. IMO that is the big value of a 1 buck limit. (not trying to start a debate about this or say TN should go to 1 buck). But I imagine hunters are much more selective with only one tag, meaning more of those "pretty good" bucks survive another year.
and dont forget, with a ky license you get two deer, only 1 buck so if you want additional deer you buy additional tags!

Latest posts

Back