• Help Support TNDeer:

Christian county Ky

Agreed. IMO that is the big value of a 1 buck limit. (not trying to start a debate about this or say TN should go to 1 buck). But I imagine hunters are much more selective with only one tag, meaning more of those "pretty good" bucks survive another year.
I agree.

Agreed. IMO that is the big value of a 1 buck limit. (not trying to start a debate about this or say TN should go to 1 buck). But I imagine hunters are much more selective with only one tag, meaning more of those "pretty good" bucks survive another year.
IMO, in the case of KY, the less antler-high-grading is more the result of short gun seasons than the 1-buck limit. If Tennessee had a 9 to 14-day rifle season (like KY), we would have less antler-high-grading, even with our 2-buck limit.

But be careful for what you wish.
Everything is a trade-off.
IMO, the 2-buck limit is the perfect compromise between all factions.

While I actually wish we had fewer gun-hunting days in TN, I prefer what we have now rather than SO few as in KY. My wish is all TN buck-hunting opportunities simply end a bit sooner, such as January 1st being the last day of the season, with no January juvenile hunt, no more deer hunting period until the next fall.

IMO, in the case of KY, the less antler-high-grading is more the result of short gun seasons than the 1-buck limit. If Tennessee had a 9 to 14-day rifle season (like KY), we would have less antler-high-grading, even with our 2-buck limit.

But be careful for what you wish.
Everything is a trade-off.
IMO, the 2-buck limit is the perfect compromise between all factions.

While I actually wish we had fewer gun-hunting days in TN, I prefer what we have now rather than SO few as in KY. My wish is all TN buck-hunting opportunities simply end a bit sooner, such as January 1st being the last day of the season, with no January juvenile hunt, no more deer hunting period until the next fall.
I totally agree with you, shortened gun/gun outside the peri rut is probably the most significant factor.

That said, I've passed several ~130 8 points in Ohio that i probably wouldn't have if i had 2 tags, and know several others around us who do as well. So probably has a significant effect as well, at least in certain areas, just not as much as limited gun hunting probably.

Last edited:
and dont forget, with a ky license you get two deer, only 1 buck so if you want additional deer you buy additional tags!
I'm pretty sure a KY deer tag now allows you to harvest 4 deer (3 antlerless, 1 antlered or antlerless). I think this reg was changed 3-4 yrs ago to encourage folks to harvest more does. That hasn't worked as the "average" hunter still harvests 1.2 to 1.4 deer per year.

Not everyone bow hunts or has the opportunity to hunt more than one day a week. Why put further restrictions on many people who dont need them or want them?
So everyone should just have the same opinion as you because some people only have a day a week to hunt? I manage my time off so i can hunt as i please. If other people do not that is their problem. They do not archery hunt. Also their problem. Nobody wants less days available, just less days with a 300 short mag.

So everyone should just have the same opinion as you because some people only have a day a week to hunt? I manage my time off so i can hunt as i please. If other people do not that is their problem. They do not archery hunt. Also their problem. Nobody wants less days available, just less days with a 300 short mag.
So screw the the majority of the demographic of tn hunters , now i see where its going😂😂 im sure glad its not burger king biology just yet in the day and age of me,me,me

So screw the the majority of the demographic of tn hunters , now i see where its going😂😂 im sure glad its not burger king biology just yet in the day and age of me,me,me
What I'm talking about. Any difference from your opinion, instant what aboutisms and combative rhetoric.

You seem insecure of your opinion. If you're gonna be the heel always be the heel and dig in.

I think Tennessee has come along way introducing trophy bucks . We do have the world record non typical 👍. I've seen some really good bucks taken the last few years .

I agree with that, but why do you reckon it's happening?

My belief is that it's happening despite the liberal hunting regs, and can be attributed to the trend in hunter mindset wanting bigger bucks to hunt. Hunters both public and private are holding higher standards and allowing young bucks to reach maturity. Land management for buck hunting has become a huge thing, and hunting mature bucks on public land has become a huge thing. The hunting culture has shifted and I suspect TWRA will eventually be forced to follow with some reg changes.

At the end of the day I do agree TN has been producing some great bucks in recent years. And I believe it's because it's what the majority of hunters want, and they're doing what it takes to have it.

My belief is that it's happening despite the liberal hunting regs, and can be attributed to the trend in hunter mindset wanting bigger bucks to hunt. Hunters both public and private are holding higher standards and allowing young bucks to reach maturity. Land management for buck hunting has become a huge thing, and hunting mature bucks on public land has become a huge thing. The hunting culture has shifted and I suspect TWRA will eventually be forced to follow with some reg changes.

At the end of the day I do agree TN has been producing some great bucks in recent years. And I believe it's because it's what the majority of hunters want, and they're doing what it takes to have it.
I honestly think it's mostly due to social media and cell cams…people are beginning to realize what it takes to get big deer and the most important aspect is age. If you know what's in the woods and what's growing in your state you're More inclined to self impose trigger restraint on a "borderline" buck and there's no way around the fact that the vast majority of hunters want to kill big bucks PERIOD!

This exactly.

TN is producing better bucks because hunters are willing to pass up younger bucks. Never in a million years did I ever think I would see the day that so many hunters are willing to hold out for mature bucks, but here we are. Allow enough bucks to mature, and the "right arm" of the bell curve distribution of antler scores is going to show up more and more. 140+ mature bucks may only make up 15% of the mature age-classes, but when you produce enough mature bucks, that 15% shows up.

I honestly think it's mostly due to social media and cell cams…people are beginning to realize what it takes to get big deer and the most important aspect is age. If you know what's in the woods and what's growing in your state you're More inclined to self impose trigger restraint on a "borderline" buck and there's no way around the fact that the vast majority of hunters want to kill big bucks PERIOD!
And all of that comes from hunters being able to educate themselves. Put enough sources of good information out there (and trail-cams are a huge part of that), and hunters learned quickly and adjusted their goals.

Honestly, I never expected this level of participation from hunters. I believed older/mature buck management would be something that just a select few hunters would practice. But now it is well distributed among the hunting public. I underestimated the average hunters will-power and desire to change.

What I'm talking about. Any difference from your opinion, instant what aboutisms and combative rhetoric.

You seem insecure of your opinion. If you're gonna be the heel always be the heel and dig in.
Whats combative? Im glad everyone has an opinion, i just hate seeing hunters want to snuff out the other guys because its all about antlers and being worried about what everyone else kills. People are never satisfied and always want it their way without even thinking about everyone else. The way the limits and lengths of segments work out seems great so everyone can hunt the way they see fit within limits of the law.

This exactly.

TN is producing better bucks because hunters are willing to pass up younger bucks. Never in a million years did I ever think I would see the day that so many hunters are willing to hold out for mature bucks, but here we are. Allow enough bucks to mature, and the "right arm" of the bell curve distribution of antler scores is going to show up more and more. 140+ mature bucks may only make up 15% of the mature age-classes, but when you produce enough mature bucks, that 15% shows up.
Exactly . Our hunting public has also grown with the mature bucks . Let me explain.... most are baby boomers and when we were young it was about numbers but as we have matured we want bigger bucks . You can have plush food plots , less hunting pressure , nutrients for your deer and good genetics but ....if they don't reach maturity none of this matters. Most of us (not so much myself) have grown with our bucks and that has also grew on our children . I would be safe to say 75% waits on a decent mature buck or at least not so much shooting the 1.5 year olds .

Latest posts

Back