• Help Support TNDeer:

Climbing stick rope mod question

Ladys man

So I jumped on the saddle band wagon and so far I'm pleased. But the buckle straps for the sticks have got to go. I've been looking into daisy chain vs 8mm rope mod.
I've decided on the rope mod but have a question.
There is an REI store in Knoxville I was going to get the rope from but can't find the answer to my question. Is or what is the difference in 8mm accessory cord and 8mm static rope.

Accessory cord isn't rated for falls I believe. Static rope is. I have used all of the stick mods out there. I prefer daisy chains but they take a lot of practice to not get yourself into trouble in the dark…
Is accessory cord strong enough? I know the strength rating is plenty strong.

Been tinkering with this for years. Started with the rope mod you're talking about, then went to daisy chain, then to amsteel rope mod, back to the buckle straps, have ended up settling on amsteel daisy chains but attaching them with a trucker hitch. Gets as tight as the buckles but without the weight and noise.

I use the accessory cord on a set of mine. Has worked fine for many years. If you're looking to go light weight look at amsteel and it will pull your truck if you get stuck in the mud!

I have 8mm accessory cord on my sticks. Got it at REI. it's not as ultralight as amsteel but it is plenty strong enough and I've never had any issues.

Been tinkering with this for years. Started with the rope mod you're talking about, then went to daisy chain, then to amsteel rope mod, back to the buckle straps, have ended up settling on amsteel daisy chains but attaching them with a trucker hitch. Gets as tight as the buckles but without the weight and noise.
Same here
I use lengths of daisy to get into any tree I want
Truckers hitch and you're set TIGHT!!

Attachments

• IMG_3844.webp
    IMG_3844.webp
    99 KB · Views: 3
rdaoutdoors.com has something called the Trucker Daisy Elite. Super light and you can't get buckles tighter. In combination with how well my X2 stick bites it's a rock solid system.

rdaoutdoors.com has something called the Trucker Daisy Elite. Super light and you can't get buckles tighter. In combination with how well my X2 stick bites it's a rock solid system.
Those look legit. I was going to order some but found out i could trucker hitch the daisy chains i already bought, and felt a little ridiculous spending more money than i already had on a climbing stick attachment method 😂 still think they'd be awesome though

Ordered the 8mm static rope cut to 7ft. Haven't climbed yet just played with the length.
Make extra sure you attach the ropes as close to horizontal as possible and then set the stick hard before you step on them. Don't ask why im telling you that 😅

Those look legit. I was going to order some but found out i could trucker hitch the daisy chains i already bought, and felt a little ridiculous spending more money than i already had on a climbing stick attachment method 😂 still think they'd be awesome though
Yea If you already got the rope and length It makes sense to go to Youtube university and tie it yourself. I love mine, the sliding loop really tightens and secures everything. It's actually a pain to get off the tree after setting it sometimes.

I am not familiar with the trucker hitch, back to YouTube university lol

Latest posts

Back