• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Cowpea experiment

Boll Weevil

We have a high deer population and getting cowpeas to a point they can survive browse pressure to actually set pods can be challenging. So I tried drilling peas and sorghum at the same time to "hide" them from hungry mouths…it works. Part the crop and it's slam full of pods down in there.

80DD1DA5-305E-4136-9FCE-48CCF3E4A096.jpeg

You picking the peas for yourself or they all for the deer? Plot looks great!

How many days from planting was that picture taken? Sorgham seems awfully short for this time of year, which variety did you use?

Both; we get all we want and the rest for the critters. Drilled July2 so this pic was taken right at 60 days. Short because of 2 things: high plant population and late planting date. That late, I didn't care if it headed out or not just trying hide the peas. Brother put some in about a mile thataway as the crow flies in late May that's chest high with fully filled out heads 12" long.

Looks great. Been a good while, but have planted beans and sorghum together before, always worked well. If I am not mistaken tecomate or maybe some other commercial seed company used to have a seed blend with beans and sorghum.

Pennington duel season is working good for me. Buckwheat, sogrum, cowpeas, and soybeans. This field normally gets eaten to the dirt with beans only. Has a few stalks of corn that the turkeys missed when they were pulling the entire field up. Planted july 24th
That looks great. I just hate the price.

Pennington duel season is working good for me. Buckwheat, sogrum, cowpeas, and soybeans. This field normally gets eaten to the dirt with beans only. Has a few stalks of corn that the turkeys missed when they were pulling the entire field up. Planted july 24th
Looks good. Pennington has some great food plot products.

Back