• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Dove Wheat

lol

I stopped by my local co-op today to try and get some seed for planting in a week or two and the only wheat they had was "dove wheat." They said it was awnless but uncleaned wheat and suggested it might work for my purposes but being unfamiliar with whatever dove wheat is, I declined. Anyone have any experience with this stuff and whether its worthwhile to plant?

Last edited:
I stopped by my local co-op today to try and get some seed for planting in a week or two and the only wheat they had was "dove wheat." They said it was awnless but uncleaned wheat and suggested it might work for my purposes but being unfamiliar with whatever dove wheat it, I declined. Anyone have any experience with this stuff and whether its worthwhile to plant?
It'll come up. May have some weevils in it to.

And it will fill your plots with so many species of noxious weed, you'll be kicking yourself for planting it.
A hard freeze will take care of most of the weeds. If he eventually sprays it, I don't see that it matters. That being said, however, I'd buy better seed if you can get it.

A hard freeze will take care of most of the weeds. If he eventually sprays it, I don't see that it matters. That being said, however, I'd buy better seed if you can get it.
You need to see the awful stuff growing in plots to this day from the couple of years of planting feed wheat 20 years ago, and I spray and spray and spray!

NEVER plant feed wheat!

The most likely way to spread Palmer, amaranth, pig weed is by spreading uncleaned wheat!
IMG_3270.webp

This is the devils spawn of which I speak.
7 feet tall, 8 feet wide, millions of seed. One stem big as my wrist at the ground!

Why not go with oats or rye if wheat is unavailable?
I may have. I had some ground cleared earlier this summer and threw out buck forage oats mostly for erosion control but nothing ever touched it so I'm not sure how it would do in the fall. I've not tried any cereal rye but the co-op has that in stock. I suppose as long as I have some grain to go along with the crimson clover I'll probably be alright.

Latest posts

Back