• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Dove Wheat

I had never seen passion flower anywhere on my property until I started planting feed wheat. Now, the two plots I used to plant feed wheat in are loaded with it.

In the east mountains where there is no corn or beans, its a huge draw for miles around
I'm definitely in the mountains and lack the soil for corn or beans. This is at about 1600 ft and about a mile from the border with North Carolina. Also, I have a creek crossing that prevents me from having anything more than a sxs to work the ground.

From my experience wheat nor rye are powerful deer attractants. They make for a pretty setting and seem to slow deer down a bit as the head to the corn and soybean fields
Not really an option for me this year. Maybe down the road once we have a proper creek crossing installed that will allow tractor access to the field.

I'm definitely in the mountains and lack the soil for corn or beans. This is at about 1600 ft and about a mile from the border with North Carolina. Also, I have a creek crossing that prevents me from having anything more than a sxs to work the ground.
With wheat no need to work the ground, spread the seed and spray the grass and weeds

With wheat no need to work the ground, spread the seed and spray the grass and weeds
I've sprayed a couple rounds of gly already and plan to broadcast wheat and crimson clover heavy and drag it. I've still got some surviving greenery I'll have to wipe out first. Not sure why its not dead yet, so need to take a closer look before I plant. I've also got a couple other pockets of ground receiving sunlight where I may throw some seed to see what happens.

From my experience wheat nor rye are powerful deer attractants. They make for a pretty setting and seem to slow deer down a bit as the head to the corn and soybean fields
Our local corn and soybean fields have all been harvested by deer season (MZ/gun). Deer avoid those open fields like the plague once they've been harvested. They hammer cereal grains, but only when they grains are young or during very cold weather. The biggest draw in my area Oct/Nov are the clovers.

Wheat forage plots don't draw and hold bears like corn will in the summer either. You'd accomplish something to get an ear past them
We're in the heart of bear country but you'd be hard pressed to find any sign they exist. All the surrounding property owners are "retired" bear hunters, if I had to guess that's probably cause they've run out of bears to hunt. Pigs, on the other hand, limit my options more than my dirt. I've tried putting out corn to get a census and they'll just set up on it till its gone. I had one sleeping in it, then he'd get up and eat some more.

Latest posts

Back