• Help Support TNDeer:

Dunstan Chestnut Trees

@mcbuck58 - I got all 11 of the trees I got from you out yesterday. I did exactly your method, except a different weed mat than you. The ones I found I think you were using looked expensive (maybe I found the wrong ones). I think you said you got them for $2 a piece. The ones I found were significantly more than that. I already had a roll of mat, so I used what I had.

Boy, I wish we had the dirt you have up in KY. It was hell digging in rocky soil, even just going down 8" - wore me out, and I am in great shape! 🤣 - I put 5 in one location and 6 in another.

Anyways, I'm glad they're in and can't wait to see how they fair next spring/summer. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0319.webp
    IMG_0319.webp
    344.5 KB · Views: 1
@mcbuck58 - I got all 11 of the trees I got from you out yesterday. I did exactly your method, except a different weed mat than you. The ones I found I think you were using looked expensive (maybe I found the wrong ones). I think you said you got them for $2 a piece. The ones I found were significantly more than that. I already had a roll of mat, so I used what I had.

Boy, I wish we had the dirt you have up in KY. It was hell digging in rocky soil, even just going down 8" - wore me out, and I am in great shape! 🤣 - I put 5 in one location and 6 in another.

Anyways, I'm glad they're in and can't wait to see how they fair next spring/summer. Thanks again!
Hey jcdeerman. I'm sure any old weed mat will work as long as it's plastic so it condenses and makes a little water, keeps the ground moist and kills the surrounding vegetation. I have not had any rain since September 29. About to be some kind of record for the Bowling Green area. October in south central KY is the driest month of the year. It is a little cloudy now and a cold front is supposed to come through tonight and bring some rain but they are saying 20% chance for later tonight or tomorrow morning. It looks like it's south of me also. The seven day has no rain in the forecast. The eight I'm planting this fall are still on my porch being watered every day. They are still green while all my orchard trees have yellow leaves and going dormant. Good luck with those trees and give me a progress report next year. Thanks again.

Hey jcdeerman. I'm sure any old weed mat will work as long as it's plastic so it condenses and makes a little water, keeps the ground moist and kills the surrounding vegetation. I have not had any rain since September 29. About to be some kind of record for the Bowling Green area. October in south central KY is the driest month of the year. It is a little cloudy now and a cold front is supposed to come through tonight and bring some rain but they are saying 20% chance for later tonight or tomorrow morning. It looks like it's south of me also. The seven day has no rain in the forecast. The eight I'm planting this fall are still on my porch being watered every day. They are still green while all my orchard trees have yellow leaves and going dormant. Good luck with those trees and give me a progress report next year. Thanks again.
It's not plastic, but will monitor. Fire ants are notorious for this crap. We shall see

I want a couple as big as 8 to 10 ft in containers
Where and when is my source?
I was selling 8 months old Dunstan seedlings that were 5 footers but all out now.

Drive to Chestnut Hill nursery in Florida if you want Dunstans.

For next spring go to Chestnut Hill nursery online and sign up for email notifications for your areas Walmart or Rural King. They will notify you when trees are going to be delivered. They will be 3 gallon or 7 gallon containers. They are 5 to 8 feet tall.

If you buy in spring just water and plant in the fall. If you plant in the spring plan on watering the tree. Large trees need good waterings when put in a new hole.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN...what type tree tubes are pictured and where did you get them?
I see so many options online....last ones I order were "ok" but looking for something a little better.

Last edited:
It's not plastic, but will monitor. Fire ants are notorious for this crap. We shall see
Interesting....never heard that? But I did have a large fire ant mound develop beside one of my weed mats where I had used some old landscape fabric that I had left over...covered the mat in mulch...that was couple years ago and thankfully the tree is doing fine....something to consider though.

Are you talking about the seedlings pots I grow them in. They are MT38 mini-treepots from Stuewe & Sons out of Tangent Oregon.
Oops....I see my typo....said tubs instead of tubes....curious about tree tube suppliers. I really do like the pots you use though....thanks for the information....now im going to edit my typo :)

3 gal are $35 and the 7 gal are $49.

The location I'm going to plant these in is near one of the new plots we developed last year.... I can drive too this location so hauling water won't be an issue...and it will get the recommended 6 to 8 hours of sunlight no problem.....in this particular area I'm just getting started so it will be these three trees to begin with....so I may try the 5 gallon drip bucket idea....but I like the big tank idea with drip lines run out.... interesting.

I would love to get some American Chestnut started someday as well.

Currently we have the 3 Dunstan mentioned and 13 sawtooth started in pots....so we're just getting started with the process..... appreciate the input.
Our WM has them and they are marked down to $15 for any size. I picked up 4 of the 7 gal yesterday.

I see so many options online....last ones I order were "ok" but looking for something a little better.
Sorry doubleridgre thought you were talking to me. I believe jcdeerman got the Plantra 58" doe tube. Go to Plantra.com

I got these off Amazon. Same ones I used this spring on all the ones we planted then. Same concept @mcbuck58 uses - only thing was I was using 4' ones and this order I ordered the 5' ones on @mcbuck58 recommendation

Attachments

• IMG_0344.webp
    IMG_0344.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back