• Help Support TNDeer:

Flyrod and reel for bluegill and small trout?

WTM

ive always wanted one for the fly hatch on ky lake. what would be a descent priced rod and reel, weight, etc for casting dry fly and maybe sinking nymph size baits. i found a descent sized creek that may have brook trout as well.

5 wt 8.5- 9 ft

Look at TFO. good rods and reasonable
Get a Hobbs Creek reel to match it $40? You don't need an awesome reel for bass or panfish.
Weight forward floating line ought to make that thing work just fine.

I've got two cheap ones but they will cast a fly.

I got mine at the end of the season Walmart mark down.

I was making my usual pass thru the sporting goods section one day and there they were $10 & $12 respectively . :party:

They were originally priced around $100,

My Dad and I fished them for gills when I was growing up.

Nothing like a nice quiet morning catching blue gill when all the sudden a 3 or 4 pound bass takes the fly!
It's on then.

When the flies hatched we fished a black gnat behind a yellow or white small popping bug.

Nothing like rolling that fly under a bush or dock and hauling in a hand sized blue gill.

I grew up in Florida and use to fish with a fly rod and popping bugs all the time... That was a lot of fun.. If you ever go to Florida... take it with you

WTM":2k8bu5pi said:
my walmart sux. you would think being 8 miles from the largest lake in tennessee they would have more fishing stuff.

You think your Walmart sux.... make the drive along 70 to the East about 20 miles or so, were down to a couple 20' long isle . :livid:

Smo":2p3ps3dk said:
WTM":2p3ps3dk said:
my walmart sux. you would think being 8 miles from the largest lake in tennessee they would have more fishing stuff.

You think your Walmart sux.... make the drive along 70 to the East about 20 miles or so, were down to a couple 20' long isle . :livid:

lol i go to that one quite a bit, for me, its almost as close to the one in camden. they have more rod and reels. the one in dickson has even more fishing stuff, go figure. found a bnm sam heaton super sensitive casting rods for 32 bucks each there.

If I was to buy a single "do all" flyrod, it'd be a 9' 5-weight. I'd get a small flybox and stock it with size 12 parachute adams, size 16 pheasant tails, a handful of small poppers, and some size 14 hares ear softhackles. It'd be deadly for trout and bream.

But........ I've got a bunch of flyrods and I tie flies. I keep an 8' 4-weight Cabelas Willow Creek combo that someone gave me in my vehicle at all times. As well as a box stuffed full of bream flies, hemostats, and a spool of 6# flouro. I drive quite a bit for work and it's nice being able to stop for awhile and make a few casts when I'm near a body of water. Which is pretty much everywhere in E TN.
cd1a49e0a3705232dea9c0f0b9c60749.jpg
8d923433203723fac703ddc5c3cd87d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back