• Help Support TNDeer:

How Many Have You Killed?

If you are into numbers, you are doing it for the wrong reason.
TOTALLY agree.
But if you are into research about effectiveness of different bow/arrow set ups. Broadhead effectiveness, wound channels, deer reaction to shots on impact, entry exit wounds, blood trail lengths, and LOADS more data...numbers, not size of deer, but NUMBERS OF DEER KILLS...are EXTREMELY important!

I'm at 51… I keep tally marks on my gun case, even for deer I've killed with bow I'm always sure to go scratch a mark when I get home.

TWRA records only go back to 2005, have killed 47 in that time frame, couple years didn't shoot nothing, before that killed several from the mid 80's. most have came from muzzle loader, but bow xbow muzzy rifles, thinking about taking 1 with a sling shot just to be different 😂

TWRA records only go back to 2005, have killed 47 in that time frame, couple years didn't shoot nothing, before that killed several from the mid 80's. most have came from muzzle loader, but bow xbow muzzy rifles, thinking about taking 1 with a sling shot just to be different 😂
Used to always like to what my buddy and myself called a " slam" killing one with bow , muzzleloader and bow . One year I added the shotgun for a super slam at VVAP . At times the bow was difficult cause I usually try to hold out for a buck but would settle for a doe in late season of archery.

I really don't know how many I've killed. Some years only one the whole season. Other years maybe two. I've passed way more than I've killed.

367 bow kills is a significant amount of experience. Much respect.
Back in the day, I used to tell my friends that if a family member's life depended on it, and someone had to go in a thicket and kill a deer with a bow on the first sit, I'd hire 102. If he was booked up, I'd hire "Winchester" next. In the early years of TnDeer (1999 - 2009), them and their crew flat killed some deer with a bow, and wild deer at that, across several States. A lot of public land kills, not neighborhood pets. They know how to find deer in the woods, setup, and execute the shot at the moment of truth. No two ways about it.

Funny how times have changed. Back in the day when you told people you killed 10 bucks in a season they thought you had a great season and congratulated you. Now we live in a time when if you tell people you killed 10 bucks in a season they lose their minds. Not because deer aren't plentiful as ever either.
It's started to affect me. I only tagged 5 bucks last year in Tennessee and stopped hunting early so I could squirrel hunt with my dogs.

I have no idea on the number of deer I have killed . I know it's no where near as many as my father has killed. I had killed 50 by age 25. I am 55 now. When I was growing up my dad was killing 10-12 deer with his bow every season. Anything short of limiting out with every weapon and opportunity was a bad year. He killed 13 with a recurve before the compound bow became available. I set a goal to kill 100 with flintlock weapons about 14 years ago. I am about a third of the way there. Thankful for every deer that I ever killed and feel blessed to live in a state where they are bountiful.

Funny how times have changed. Back in the day when you told people you killed 10 bucks in a season they thought you had a great season and congratulated you. Now we live in a time when if you tell people you killed 10 bucks in a season they lose their minds. Not because deer aren't plentiful as ever either.
It's started to affect me. I only tagged 5 bucks last year in Tennessee and stopped hunting early so I could squirrel hunt with my dogs.

I have no idea on the number of deer I have killed . I know it's no where near as many as my father has killed. I had killed 50 by age 25. I am 55 now. When I was growing up my dad was killing 10-12 deer with his bow every season. Anything short of limiting out with every weapon and opportunity was a bad year. He killed 13 with a recurve before the compound bow became available. I set a goal to kill 100 with flintlock weapons about 14 years ago. I am about a third of the way there. Thankful for every deer that I ever killed and feel blessed to live in a state where they are bountiful.
RU like me and hunt 10 to 2 to dodge the deer hunters? I've got orange vests and a garmin for my dog and still worry about her till deer season closes.

RU like me and hunt 10 to 2 to dodge the deer hunters? I've got orange vests and a garmin for my dog and still worry about her till deer season closes.
Yes orange vests, blinking light collars and Garmin to keep up. I try to avoid conflict and certainly don't want my dogs to be put in a dangerous situation.

I was kind of shocked but I ain't young and it adds up, never shot a deer for numbers, have eat all of them, none shot to be given away though I have gave a lot of meat away to family. Have a few years left so numbers might go up or might not.

Latest posts

Back