Is it possible?

Setterman

That the use of corn for trail cams is having a negative impact on the population?

I think it could, either concentrating them on farms that run cams year round, allowing for easy predation, or poisoning from tainted corn

MickThompson

Setterman":13ms3lub said:
That the use of corn for trail cams is having a negative impact on the population?

I think it could, either concentrating them on farms that run cams year round, allowing for easy predation, or poisoning from tainted corn

As well as concentrating birds and facilitating spread of infectious disease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZachMarkus

I'd say it doesn't help, I run cameras year around on my farm that doesn't get hunted but mainly use wheat for turkeys. Honestly though, they don't come in there like you think, they come through every few days and hang around while and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rockhound

I would say corn has a huge effect. You can hang a camera in the hardwoods and go pictureless for months bit as soon as you poor out corn, you have deer, turkey, bobcat, fox, coyote, possum, coon, etc. The whole good chain revolves around that pile until it's gone.it will pull nest raiders into areas that they otherwise would not travel on a frequent basis, and predators can hide feet away and pounce when they come into feed.

Setterman

Rockhound":2akrqes8 said:
I would say corn has a huge effect. You can hang a camera in the hardwoods and go pictureless for months bit as soon as you poor out corn, you have deer, turkey, bobcat, fox, coyote, possum, coon, etc. The whole good chain revolves around that pile until it's gone.it will pull nest raiders into areas that they otherwise would not travel on a frequent basis, and predators can hide feet away and pounce when they come into feed.

Good,point, on places that do it year round is it artificially supporting more nest raiders by supplying them with unlimited food?

Rockhound

Setterman":1yimnxft said:
Rockhound":1yimnxft said:

Good,point, on places that do it year round is it artificially supporting more nest raiders by supplying them with unlimited food?

Your dang right, it is supporting more nest raiders, with unlimited easy food. Then they have the rest of the night to prowl around the edges of the fields the feeders are in, and find nests.

AT Hiker

Our former TWRA head guy has a theory on feeders and predators and it makes perfect sense.

Goodtimekiller

I feed corn from the end of deer season until March and never get any turkey pics, turkeys just dont use my farm during those months so it't not a magnet. However, i use covered feeders so the corn doesnt get wet just in case turkeys were to come by and any time i have corn out i am trapping nest predators, saves turkeys and money on corn.

TheLBLman

Yes, corn feeding can have a negative impact on turkey populations.
I've seen it wipe out entire flocks when certified aflatoxin-free corn actually developed aflatoxin.
A single kernel of corn that develops aflatoxin will kill an adult turkey.
No matter how you "protect" your corn from aflatoxin, some can get scattered around and develop this toxin.
You'll just typically never realize it, nor will you find the turkeys that die from it.

Unless you specifically purchase aflatoxin-free corn (usually have to get it at your county Co-Op, or as horse feed),
corn sold as "deer corn" (such as per Walmart) commonly already contains aflatoxins.

I also think increased predation may be more significant (around feeding stations) than many would believe.

Bobcat, coyotes, even dogs have proven quickly and very adaptive in ambushing both young deer and turkeys near feeding stations.

AT Hiker

Then again, KY allows baiting....are their turkeys fairing better than ours?

woodsman04

I think it has a negative impact, so I wish people wouldn't do it. If you want to feed them broadcast it in the woods and keep it spread out.

Setterman

AT Hiker":35shv89a said:

Their harvest numbers are really bad this year. Georgia legalized baiting several years ago and their population has been in free fall. They've killed under 10,000 birds so far with a season that started a week before us

Mike Belt

No authority here but I'd guess it does more harm than good. Not only the potential for tainted corn but once a predator makes a kill in or near a pile that spot is probably kept on his radar.

@fulldraw

Setterman":890s35f0 said:
AT Hiker":890s35f0 said:

Their harvest numbers are really bad this year. Georgia legalized baiting several years ago and their population has been in free fall. They've killed under 10,000 birds so far with a season that started a week before us

Ky is about 6,000 shy of its average going into the final weekend. I, for one, think weather has played more of a role in this number being low. Typically I've killed my two by the second weekend. This year it was the 26th and 29th. Have seen gobblers and jakes each time; they just are now acting like they should. Even the guys from GA that lease property around us didn't show up this year. Both weekends were either cold or pouring down rain. Most of the season kills are within this time frame. Not to mention turkeys were still grouped up at this time too. Personally, I think a lot of turkeys survived this year due to the weather. I'm willing to bet, if the weather cooperates, Ky will see an increase in total kills next spring. Just my thoughts as I'm sure some will disagree.

megalomaniac

I would think it certainly IS possible that the population can be negatively affected by supplemental feeding for the exact reasons already listed. Increased predation around feed sites, potential for aflatoxin, increased nest predators, etc.

But I really think more birds are killed by those hunting over bait. The pic I posted earlier this year of my lease here in MS comes to mind...

Roost 1

megalomaniac":34glir8s said:
I would think it certainly IS possible that the population can be negatively affected by supplemental feeding for the exact reasons already listed. Increased predation around feed sites, potential for aflatoxin, increased nest predators, etc.

But I really think more birds are killed by those hunting over bait. The pic I posted earlier this year of my lease here in MS comes to mind...

I've been saying this for years, lots of turkeys are being killed by hunters over bait. What hunters don't understand is that the hens are nesting near this bait, which draws the predators. Now the hunters are killing the gobblers and the predators are getting the nests and maybe perhaps a hen on occasion.

Same thing happens in KY, and by the way our population is way down as well. I'm not going what I hear, but if turkeys are around they leave sign. No sign along with no sightings equals no turkeys.
I know a lot of good turkey hunters that haven't killed one yet and most likely won't.

However these issues are not limited to KY and TN, to my understanding it's all across the country. I honestly believe several factors are the cause. Loss of habitat, farming practices, poor hatches, baiting, too many being killed in most areas, predators, and strutting decoys (or fanning).
I know guys that mop turkeys and don't own a turkey call. Just carry a shotgun, tail fan, and a little scratch here and there for the times they want to sit and pretend they are hunting. :bash: :bash:

Setterman

@fulldraw":3rcufvb0 said:
Setterman":3rcufvb0 said:
AT Hiker":3rcufvb0 said:

Ky is about 6,000 shy of its average going into the final weekend. I, for one, think weather has played more of a role in this number being low. Typically I've killed my two by the second weekend. This year it was the 26th and 29th. Have seen gobblers and jakes each time; they just are now acting like they should. Even the guys from GA that lease property around us didn't show up this year. Both weekends were either cold or pouring down rain. Most of the season kills are within this time frame. Not to mention turkeys were still grouped up at this time too. Personally, I think a lot of turkeys survived this year due to the weather. I'm willing to bet, if the weather cooperates, Ky will see an increase in total kills next spring. Just my thoughts as I'm sure some will disagree.
KY is 11,000 birds shy actually. As of this morning the total harvest is 23,000 and change

For a decade or more KY was the single best state for easterns, in 3 weeks they killed what most states do in 6 weeks with a 2 bird limit. Truly remarkable hunting. For their harvest to drop this low it is alarming

Weather sucks off and on and every year. Sure it sucked some this year, but it's also been beautiful at times. It's just spring.

The more excuses are made the less likely anything changes to return to the glory days. I understand that it may seem fine, but there's too much evidence of the opposite

Bone Collector

Setterman":m3dyil4f said:
Rockhound":m3dyil4f said:

without a doubt. I have run cameras year round since 2014, so I have some data. I can tell you that when i was putting corn out that i would get 6-8 coons sometimes in one frame, and coyote's bobcats, foxes, and possums picked up too.

Finally last year we started talking about this decline in more depth and once it was mentioned about the correlation between corn and nest raiders, I decided to stop putting it out during the off season, after February. I still get picks of coons, but not nearly as many. However I still have seen no poults.....

Latest posts