Possible turkey units?

Falconi

IMO, the reason it WILL NOT WORK is because of the current check in procedures. If I can check a bird in by phone or computer from my vehicle or home, it won't matter if my county is open or if I have already taken my county limit. I can pick any county in the state during my check in. It is nice in theory, and gives biologists "work" and job security to determine those regs, but, it is totally nonenforceable.

It will be abused.

I will be lobbying against such a change.

Does anyone know if the TWRA app use GPS to record the location?

Madbowh

How many does get killed on the short bow hunt and youth hunt? Can't be many on 90,000 acres.

Why shouldn't a Catoosa buck count against your bag limit?
short answer on bonus buck, because it never has counted.

This year 55
Last year 76
How many more deer would be there if those does weren't taken. I mean this point based off twra song low harvest numbers, if so why not change the does. The main point here is bad decision making consistently

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023_103938_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_103938_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20231023_103839_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_103839_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20231023_103853_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_103853_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20231023_103933_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_103933_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 37

MickThompson

short answer on bonus buck, because it never has counted.

This year 55
Last year 76
How many more deer would be there if those does weren't taken. I mean this point based off twra song low harvest numbers, if so why not change the does. The main point here is bad decision making consistently
I bet if we looked far enough back we'd find a time before bonus bucks.

76 is less than 1 doe per 1000 acres on Catoosa.

Madbowh

I bet if we looked far enough back we'd find a time before bonus bucks.

76 is less than 1 doe per 1000 acres on Catoosa.
76 I think is high for the amount of hunters I seen. Had maybe roughly 20 on genesis in2022 bow plus drive ins. Just random in 07 there was 133 does taken on the bow hunt. This was pre-logging days, now they have cover....hmmmm think harvests will drop with the amount of cover they gave em.

My own personal stats for 15 years, every scouted area I put a camera i get multiple legal bucks every year during bow and tons of does. Between legislators and twra they just make a mess of things. Occasionally they get some decent 1 off regs. I'm sure a lot won't agree but they need to leave the turkey season the way it is

megalomaniac

How bad is TN gonna screw this up?

My takeaways from watching the video... limits will be between 1 and 3 birds depending on populations. I don't care about this one way or the other...

Season will move to Sat closest to April 7th because folks don't want season to extend to Memorial Day Weekend. I HATE this. The 2w delay in middle TN resulted in some of the best turkey hunting the stare has ever experienced (as evidenced by one of the highest kills ever recorded for an opening day weekend). Hunting unpressured birds at the peak of breeding just after flock break up made for some FUN hunts. Plus, personally I LOVED being able to hunt Memorial Day weekend, as I had a 3 day weekend to come up to TN without having to burn a vacation day for travel. And it's great timing for planting summer plots.

Jake harvest... TWRA feels killing jakes has no impact whatsoever on long term population trends or dynamics. This is true in areas with multiple toms remaining after season closes to service retesting hens in June or July, as well as jennies initiating their first nest in June or July... but in areas where all toms have been killed during season, having jakes who are becoming sexually mature in summer provides a means for renesting hens to be bred. Just sad.

Fall season... TWRA doesn't feel killing toms, jakes, or bearded hens makes any difference. Probably doesn't in boom years with tons of birds. But not a great idea IMO in the lean years or areas with marginal populations

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025_104828_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025_104828_YouTube.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 50

Flintlocksforme

IMO, the reason it WILL NOT WORK is because of the current check in procedures. If I can check a bird in by phone or computer from my vehicle or home, it won't matter if my county is open or if I have already taken my county limit. I can pick any county in the state during my check in. It is nice in theory, and gives biologists "work" and job security to determine those regs, but, it is totally nonenforceable.

It will be abused.

I will be lobbying against such a change.
People that hunt everyday of the season don't check in turkeys. They just keep count.

Flintlocksforme

I hunt everyday I can starting down south from the middle of March to end of May up in Nebraska, South Dakota and I check every bird in.
That's not what I was implying, and that's what it's all about. Get a limit and move on. I am more familiar with those that stay in one county.

tnanh

I would bet that we we'll see GPS access from the TWRA app soon. They'll know exactly where you checked that bird in.

If they suspect you killed the bird in a different county, they could easily get your phone records, and follow your parh to see exactly where you were hunting. Even if you're not running GPS on your phone, it's possible to track your location.

They'll be able to see somebody spend 6 hours in the woods in a "legal" zone, then all of a sudden they'll drive 4 hours and check in a bird.

I think that digital tagging is in its first stages, and will become much more secure and complex in the coming years. The requirement of a geotagged photo would make it difficult to falsify your location.

The TWRA app already has location permissions by default. They already know where you are.

View attachment 199636
Phone records require a search warrant and TWRA has no idea how to get one of those much less sense enough to write one.

Smells Like Sulfur

Phone records require a search warrant and TWRA has no idea how to get one of those.
True, but they don't if you voluntarily give them location access when you sign up for an app.

The app already has location access enabled by default, that means the developers have access to their users locations, and the developers are TWRA. I think as long as you agree with the terms and conditions of the app, they're on pretty solid legal ground recording your location while the app is running (tagging).

It's really just a matter of if they are doing it, yet. Not even necessarily to catch people doing what they're not supposed to, but it would give them very specific data as well, even if it was anonymous.

Kelljp

Bottom line is, they have the ability with today's technology but I doubt they will ever put the effort forth to apply it. People will cheat if that's what their intentions are irregardless of what process is in place. I'm sure some of you remember people that had multiple family members checking deer in for them if they even did check them. There ain't no foolproof method except boots on the ground, and they are spread pretty thin.

Smells Like Sulfur

Bottom line is, they have the ability with today's technology but I doubt they will ever put the effort forth to apply it.
I respectfully disagree, the app is still brand new, and we're only turning into more of a police state. I have trouble believing that they won't start using more digital technology to try to track hunting, illegal or not.

A lot of big cities already use gunshot sensors, and stuff like that becomes cheaper and more widely available, I would expect to see it out in the woods in popular hunting areas as well. Gunshot detected, all people nearby recorded to see if they've checked in game. That's like 15 lines of code, a microphone, and a camera or two. The microphone on your cell phone could be used to pick up the fine granular details too, All they would need to do is add in microphone access to the app, and I bet 99% of the users wouldn't even notice the new permission added.

Photographs are already searchable and geotaged unless you go out of your way to disable that feature. Any photo you take on your phone is then uploaded to a server (generally, unless specifically disabled) where that photo no longer belongs to you and can be thrown into a database and searched at will by someone else, like LE looking for photographs of things that have been killed, on phones that have not tagged in game. If you have an Android, go to the photos app and search for something like dog or car, it'll come up with all of the pictures of dogs and cars in your library, it already knows what's what.

The state is covered with license plate scanners, they know where you are regardless of whether you have your phone or not too. As artificial intelligence gets better they'll be able to track suspicious driving patterns and cross-reference them with hunting apps.
People will cheat if that's what their intentions are irregardless of what process is in place.
I totally agree with that, but it's only going to get harder and harder as they use digital technology to track everyone.

I think it really just comes down to if TWRA is going to put in the effort. As the technology becomes cheaper and easier to use, less effort is required to use it, and we're more likely to see it used on a wide scale.

tnanh

True, but they don't if you voluntarily give them location access when you sign up for an app.

The app already has location access enabled by default, that means the developers have access to their users locations, and the developers are TWRA. I think as long as you agree with the terms and conditions of the app, they're on pretty solid legal ground recording your location while the app is running (tagging).

It's really just a matter of if they are doing it, yet. Not even necessarily to catch people doing what they're not supposed to, but it would give them very specific data as well, even if it was anonymous.
They have ability to look at the gps coordinates and it is used sometimes in keeping up with cwd kills. But to look at your phone records to see where you were prior to tagging an animal would require a search warrant unless you give consent.

Latest posts