Possible turkey units?

Madbowh

To look at phone records yes, they don't need phone records of you allow location sharing. I have no doubt they are watching every location of big game when checked in on the app. How many people buy a license online, if you get it online you will be checking it in on the app because your transport tags are digital, unless you print it out, I have watched twra check to many people and had run ins myself to not believe they already look at everyone's location that uses the app to check in.

I wonder if you can still check in on the app if you turn off location?

Kelljp

Where I hunt in East Tennessee (Carter and Johnson counties), to tag a kill on my phone usually means waiting until I get home or driving until I get a signal. The coverage for phones on North Cherokee WMA is not that good. I attach the paper tag on the kill to stay legal until I can use the app. So I'm not sure how that would benefit them.

Smells Like Sulfur

They have ability to look at the gps coordinates and it is used sometimes in keeping up with cwd kills. But to look at your phone records to see where you were prior to tagging an animal would require a search warrant unless you give consent.
Absolutely true, but there's ways around that. License plate scanners and traffic cameras can be accessed with no warrant, and if the TWRA app happens to be running in the background, I think they could legally use the location data, but ONLY if the app is running and you have given permission.

The app permissions are what really get you, in order to use the app, they can make you wave certain rights. Of course, you have the choice to not download the app, register everything on your computer, and use paper tags.

rbreedi1

You do not have to have phone service to use the app anymore supposedly..
Here's a quote from the TWRA site: "The TWRA On The Go app works even when you're out of cell signal range. Just check-in your harvest on location, and a harvest confirmation number will be generated. Your information will be automatically submitted to TWRA when you are back in range of a signal."

I have not tested this as I usually have signal but just throwing that out there..

Kelljp

You do not have to have phone service to use the app anymore supposedly..
Here's a quote from the TWRA site: "The TWRA On The Go app works even when you're out of cell signal range. Just check-in your harvest on location, and a harvest confirmation number will be generated. Your information will be automatically submitted to TWRA when you are back in range of a signal."

I have not tested this as I usually have signal but just throwing that out there..
I'm confused then, to open the app for my account I have to input my bday, last name ...to get to my account. If I don't have a signal I don't get to were I fill out the information for the tag.

Smells Like Sulfur

I'm confused then, to open the app for my account I have to input my bday, last name ...to get to my account. If I don't have a signal I don't get to were I fill out the information for the tag.
I seem to have the same issue. It won't even let me load the main page without an internet connection. I just carry paper tags with me anyway, and check in when I'm out of the woods. If it wasn't for all of the sweet topographic mapping apps, I probably wouldn't even carry my phone with me while hunting.

rbreedi1

I seem to have the same issue. It won't even let me load the main page without an internet connection. I just carry paper tags with me anyway, and check in when I'm out of the woods. If it wasn't for all of the sweet topographic mapping apps, I probably wouldn't even carry my phone with me while hunting.
Have y'all updated your app to the latest version?

tnanh

Absolutely true, but there's ways around that. License plate scanners and traffic cameras can be accessed with no warrant, and if the TWRA app happens to be running in the background, I think they could legally use the location data, but ONLY if the app is running and you have given permission.

The app permissions are what really get you, in order to use the app, they can make you wave certain rights. Of course, you have the choice to not download the app, register everything on your computer, and use paper tags.
No. Just no. They( government) own the lprs or pay to use them most times. They are not searching property owned by us.

Smells Like Sulfur

No. Just no. They( government) own the lprs or pay to use them most times. They are not searching property owned by us.
Pretty much everything I'm saying applies nore to public land. Private land is an entirely different story. Just because they have your coordinates, doesn't mean they can come on your property, That's when you need to start getting warrants involved.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I think hunters leave too much up to the game agencies to decide how they hunt. When I first moved to TN I killed my four birds on multiple properties (all in the same area) for the first few years. Then the bottom dropped out. I noticed a drop in bird numbers one year, but then it was like they were nonexistent the next year. The population slowly grew, but it is still less than half what it was a decade ago. I killed one turkey last year and one this year, but I only shot on bird in the previous 4 years because I knew there weren't very many around. If hunters are not able to control their own trigger finger or won't see what's going on with the population in their area, then they should just stop hunting as they are not only ruining the hunting in the future for themselves but everyone else too. Way way too many guys going out there trying to kill their limit without any regard to conservation. Don't leave it up to TWRA to limit your harvest, do it yourself.

knightrider

I think hunters leave too much up to the game agencies to decide how they hunt. When I first moved to TN I killed my four birds on multiple properties (all in the same area) for the first few years. Then the bottom dropped out. I noticed a drop in bird numbers one year, but then it was like they were nonexistent the next year. The population slowly grew, but it is still less than half what it was a decade ago. I killed one turkey last year and one this year, but I only shot on bird in the previous 4 years because I knew there weren't very many around. If hunters are not able to control their own trigger finger or won't see what's going on with the population in their area, then they should just stop hunting as they are not only ruining the hunting in the future for themselves but everyone else too. Way way too many guys going out there trying to kill their limit without any regard to conservation. Don't leave it up to TWRA to limit your harvest, do it yourself.

IMG_3181.gif

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Poorhunter,
That's the post of the century!!!!!! I can't begin to say enough how much I agree with you. The most common sense in any post I've ever read on here. Thank you for saying it!!!
Obviously not every agrees:p, but thank you.

I just wanted to point out that it's the responsibility of us hunters to conserve the resource not government agencies, and there are so many areas of our lives that we have ceded our responsibility and even our rights to the government. I guess it sounded like I was bragging to some, and I suppose it could be read that way.

knightrider

Obviously not every agrees:p, but thank you.

I just wanted to point out that it's the responsibility of us hunters to conserve the resource not government agencies, and there are so many areas of our lives that we have ceded our responsibility and even our rights to the government. I guess it sounded like I was bragging to some, and I suppose it could be read that way.
Just poking at you 😁 cudos for your restraint that most of us are to weak to have😂

MickThompson

@nwsg76 and I used to hunt a piece together that I would put up against anywhere... 10 years ago. We had exclusive permission and it's as perfect a turkey farm as you'll find. We would kill 1 apiece and move on. In spite of that restraint, I haven't heard a gobble there in at least 5 years.

Sometimes things happen in spite of your best efforts.

MidTennFisher

I can think of several issues that will have to be addressed (if possible), but I'm curious why you think it can't work.

I ask because I genuinely respect your opinion on the subject. And to be clear, I'm not arguing that it will work, but I don't think the current regs are particularly effective either. Several states manage turkeys by regional unit (e.g., AL, AR, FL, SC). Why do you think it won't work in TN?
SC does nothing intelligent when it comes to managing anything. The lower part of the state has turkey opener March 22nd, the rest of the state is April 1st. But the March 22nd opener in the lowcountry is only for private land. WMA still opens April 1st. Both openers are too early in my opinion.

They allow baiting for deer despite many studies citing the growth of aflatoxin in corn piles during warm weather at high enough levels to kill young turkeys. Come August, this state is covered in half of Iowa's harvest of corn on the ground.

They also screw public land hunters by giving us only a 4 week season (and we can't hunt Sundays on public land) while private land gets 6 weeks plus Sundays. As a guy hoping to move back to Tennessee someday, the last thing I'd want TWRA to do is literally anything similar to anything SCDNR does.

Note: We finally are allowed to hunt public land this season on Sundays but that does not include turkey season. They said the WMA population of turkeys can't handle full weekends of hunting. All our DNR does is restrict hunter opportunity and call it "management".

Bgoodman30

Thank you! Amazes me the turkey hunters that cry for more regulations... A lot of the griping stemmed from the overcrowding on WMA's from Oosers and Utubers but that's like 5% of the state.. I like the proposed changes to zones especially the 3 birds in Mid TN. A like one week earlier due to green up and late May is just silly unless your'e in Maine.. Sadly we are never going back to check stations.. I know TWRA will use SM to bust check in violators.. TWRA overcorrected last time hopefully they can fix it a little...

Boll Weevil

Anyone know when new regs would be available if they did choose to make any changes? When are they typically published?

Latest posts