• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Is this right?

lol

I'm new to this. I broadcast wheat, cereal rye and crimson about 2 weeks ago. Haven't had much rain. Stopped by today to look and I've got some stuff coming up. Does this look like what I planted or something else?
1000014730.webp

Looks real good to me; especially if that is near Monroe county since we haven't had hardly any rain here on the east side. I'm not far from to Monroe; and forecast for me is 3-4 inches this week. Would expect your plot to really take off after that.

Looks real good to me; especially if that is near Monroe county since we haven't had hardly any rain here on the east side. I'm not far from to Monroe; and forecast for me is 3-4 inches this week. Would expect your plot to really take off after that.
Good deal. I overseeded a bit today before the gully washer they're predicting. That field is along a creek bottom and has a spring that seeps through the middle of it, its not enough to flow but it gets mushy if you drive through it. I wasn't expecting it to start growing so soon, the spring looked like it had dried up quite a bit, but I think it may be keeping the soil moist underneath and just evaporating at the surface. A little up the hill I didn't have anything growing yet so that's got to be the reason.

I'd be over-joyed if my plot looked like that! To answer your first question yes, its what you broadcast. Only see a few weeds - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Awesome! I wasn't sure what I was looking at. As far as the weeds, there was no way I could get rid of all of them. I sprayed 3 times over 6 weeks beforehand but it only knocked out about 90%. Across the creek from this I've got about an acre of so of ragweed I've left standing. They were tearing it up so I didn't want to take away something they were eating. I'm hoping next year I can get some equipment in there and do it right with a drill after a good nuking.

Just remember that some weeds are more attractive and nutritious than what we are planting, so having a few weeds in your plots is no big deal.

Just remember that some weeds are more attractive and nutritious than what we are planting, so having a few weeds in your plots is no big deal.
I'm still trying to learn which are good and which are bad. There's quite a few invasives I've found that are no benefit which makes it tough to manage. They're hard to get rid of without killing everything.

I wonder if mowing that ragweed would keep it growing? Deer seem to like the new growth.
I've not learned enough yet to know. Last year, we had to mulch these fields that had grown up just to have access to the property. We ended up with a lack of cover, so I'm curious if leaving the rag weed standing at height might make the deer more comfortable with movement. Next season, I should have my patch cuts done and will do something else with the field.

Latest posts

Back