• Help Support TNDeer:

Issues with scope base and rings

CliffordN

Trying to mount the scope and the rings cannot match up to the two piece base. Both rifle and scope are new to me. Scope came with rings attached, rifle had bases. The rings are as far forward and back as they can go and will not match the slots. Going to order another base, with multiple slots, but need to know what type of rings these are.

Attachments

• IMG_4988.webp
    IMG_4988.webp
    94.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4990.webp
    IMG_4990.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4989.webp
    IMG_4989.webp
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
Really odd that the rings would not be able to be far enough apart on a short action rifle. HOw much wider apart would you need the rings to be?
I thought the same thing. Trying to mount a Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter 3-12x56, and they need to be able to move about another1/8 inch to match the slots on those two piece rings.

So, should I order the 20 MOA model, because of the large objective lens on the scope? I really wish we had a decent outdoor store around here, so I could walk in and get a look at the base options versus ordering something.

No. The scope has to be level. If the objective is hitting the barrel when you mount the scope. You need a different set-up. Taller rings or a different base.
No it doesn't need to be level. All a 20 moa base does is helps give you more adjustment in the scope. Having a bigger diameter objective will most likely cause him to need taller rings.

You can get extended bases like you have, but a rail like the egw or seekins as I suggested will give you a lot more options to get the scope set like you need it. Buy quality products and you shouldn't have any issues.

I would try to email Vortex customer support. Tell them exactly what scope you have and exactly what rifle you have and ask them to recommend rings and a base for you.
Are the bases mounted correctly? I just can't imagine that common scope like a Vortex wouldn't fit that set-up. But its certainly possible.

You can call, email, or do a chat....

Here are the specs for your scope....

No it doesn't need to be level. All a 20 moa base does is helps give you more adjustment in the scope. Having a bigger diameter objective will most likely cause him to need taller rings.

You can get extended bases like you have, but a rail like the egw or seekins as I suggested will give you a lot more options to get the scope set like you need it. Buy quality products and you shouldn't have any issues.
I'm not well versed in this, obviously. So, what exactly is the 20 MOA base? Is it tapered, so the front of the scope is raised? Wouldn't that actually work to clear the objective? Or would I then need more adjustment to sight in?

I would try to email Vortex customer support. Tell them exactly what scope you have and exactly what rifle you have and ask them to recommend rings and a base for you.
Are the bases mounted correctly? I just can't imagine that common scope like a Vortex wouldn't fit that set-up. But its certainly possible.

You can call, email, or do a chat....

Here are the specs for your scope....
You should be able to see in the pics, if I turn either of them the other way, it only makes the problem worse. Each base only has one slot.

You should be able to see in the pics, if I turn either of them the other way, it only makes the problem worse. Each base only has one slot.
You need to start out with the scope pretty much level to the barrel. You can't use a 20MOA base because your objective is hitting the barrel…. It won't work and you are wasting your time and money.

Contact either Vortex or Savage. I use mostly Leupold scopes. They have options on their website where you pick the scope, and rifle. It gives you options for bases and rings. It doesn't look like Vortex has that online, but I bet if you call, email, or chat they do.

I'm not well versed in this, obviously. So, what exactly is the 20 MOA base? Is it tapered, so the front of the scope is raised? Wouldn't that actually work to clear the objective? Or would I then need more adjustment to sight in?
It's tapered, but thicker at the rear. It's more for scopes that don't have enough adjustment if you wanna go long range. You don't need a 20 moa, but I doubt it hurts you.

Back