• Help Support TNDeer:

LBL Deer Hunting 2024

What's to clarify? That seems about as clear as it gets to me.
I believe it was an error of omission, failure to clarify previously.
It will get clarified, may go either way.

For decades, hunters could kill multiple bucks at LBL, then essentially double that number if they were buying licenses in both states, limiting out their bucks in both TN & KY. And during those decades, all LBL bucks were "bonus" bucks.

So being able to kill multiple bucks, even twice than number if an LBL hunter hunted/killed on both sides of the TN/KY line, was the way it was for decades.

It was changed a few years ago to 1 buck period for all of LBL (regardless which state taken), and all bucks went from being "bonus" to "same as statewide". This was done for a variety of reasons, and was also done on many TN WMAs as well. LBL is just a more unique situation because roughly half of the land is in either of two different states.

For decades, hunters could kill multiple bucks at LBL, then essentially double that number if they were buying licenses in both states, limiting out their bucks in both TN & KY. And during those decades, all LBL bucks were "bonus" bucks.

So being able to kill multiple bucks, even twice than number if an LBL hunter hunted/killed on both sides of the TN/KY line, was the way it was for decades.

It was changed a few years ago to 1 buck period for all of LBL (regardless which state taken), and all bucks went from being "bonus" to "same as statewide". This was done for a variety of reasons, and was also done on many TN WMAs as well. LBL is just a more unique situation because roughly half of the land is in either of two different states.
Where does the buck stop? Who or what group makes the decision? Or, did somebody just screw up the flyer? Why can't I put in for a quota hunt in each state?

Seems like if they flyer says one per state and a bio is saying one per state it is clearly going to be one per state

Why can't I put in for a quota hunt in each state?
You can, and have always been able to do that. The big changes a few years ago were

1. One buck annually for LBL;
2. LBL bucks no longer "bonus";
3. More either-sex instead of buck-only deer hunting.

These steps all worked together towards more biologically sound deer management, and at a time hunters were demanding more quality instead of more quantity.

You can, and have always been able to do that. The big changes a few years ago were

These steps all worked together towards more biologically sound deer management, and at a time hunters were demanding more quality instead of more quantity.
Had no idea I could enter more than one drawing! This year, I chose any TN area for the 1st weekend and then two specific areas in KY for our group. Most in our group have TN resident licenses. The date is most important to me.

Do you I just add two seperate drawings to the checkout?

I don't expect to draw anyway since burned all our points last year.

I'm confused. You can still only draw one hunt correct?
Correct.
But if appropriately licensed, you could draw that hunt in either state,
and you can archery hunt in either state.

If you're only licensed in 1 state, your LBL hunting is limited to the 1 state of your license.

Basically, you gain little or nothing at LBL (in terms of being able to kill more bucks) should you buy licenses for both states. You just have more acreage to ponder hunting. At least that's how it's been the past few years, not sure how the dust will settle on this past weekend's controversy about LBL's buck limit when hunting in both KY & TN.

I agree with most all your post for sure.

Most of it means nothing until they get rid of the pigs. The pigs are beyond detrimental.

Lat hunt I went on was the October gun hunt a couple years ago. I saw more pigs than I could count, hunted several different areas. I hunted Friday, Saturday, and half a day Sunday, and on a 2 deer hunt, either sex, 1 buck and 1 doe or 2 does, I never heard ONE shot! Not one. Never in my life would I dream that I could hunt 2 and half days at LBL on a quota gun hunt, 2 deer limit and never hear a shot. I know there are still large bucks there, but from what I saw it is no where near what it used to be.

Most of it means nothing until they get rid of the pigs. The pigs are beyond detrimental.
Yes, the feral pigs remain a huge problem, and those pigs are expanding steadily south into Stewart Co.

The pigs are undoubtedly a significant factor in LBL's lower than historic deer population and degraded habitat. It is now near impossible to eradicate them. They expand & reproduced like coyotes on steroids.

And biggest shame of all, it appears someone brought them in & released them at LBL. They did not migrate there, but were brought in on a truck. "Why" can only be speculated.

Never in my life would I dream that I could hunt 2 and half days at LBL on a quota gun hunt, 2 deer limit and never hear a shot. I know there are still large bucks there, but from what I saw it is no where near what it used to be.
I am surprised you didn't hear at least "a" shot, somewhere in the distance. Deer are always killed on the quota gun hunts. But as you know, some days sound doesn't travel far, other days you may hear a rifle fired many miles away.

However, the deer population is low, at least compared to times past. This habitat cannot healthily support a very high deer density, even more the case now with the pigs uprooting & destroying habitat. Plus, the pigs are eating a lot of what would otherwise be deer food.

I suspect the pigs are causing even more harm to turkey populations than to the deer, as I hear pigs will seek out nesting turkeys, eat the eggs, sometimes even the nesting hen turkey. Plus, the coyotes, raptors, and everything else that eats turkeys are still here, too!

Last edited:
Yes, the feral pigs remain a huge problem, and those pigs are expanding steadily south into Stewart Co.

The pigs are undoubtedly a significant factor in LBL's lower than historic deer population and degraded habitat. It is now near impossible to eradicate them. They expand & reproduced like coyotes on steroids.

And biggest shame of all, it appears someone brought them in & released them at LBL. They did not migrate there, but were brought in on a truck. "Why" can only be speculated.

I am surprised you didn't hear at least "a" shot, somewhere in the distance. Deer are always killed on the quota gun hunts. But as you know, some days sound doesn't travel far, other days you may hear a rifle fired many miles away.

However, the deer population is low, at least compared to times past. This habitat cannot healthily support a very high deer density, even more the case now with the pigs uprooting & destroying habitat. Plus, the pigs are eating a lot of what would otherwise be deer food.

I suspect the pigs are causing even more harm to turkey populations than to the deer, as I hear pigs will seek out nesting turkeys, eat the eggs, sometimes even the nesting hen turkey. Plus, the coyotes, raptors, and everything else that eats turkeys are still here, too!
It was fairly quiet days and I thought sound would have carried a good ways. I hunted many places in Area 15. I wished I would have taken a picture but if I remember correctly not many deer were killed. Like barely any at all.

Latest posts

Back