• Help Support TNDeer:

Lead sled

The black vinyl tape keeps the scope crosshair adjustment turrets from getting bumped and twisted. They really need to be completely covered with scope caps from the manufacturer for a scope used in the field. They're probably 1/4 inch moa adjustments at 100 yards so they are sensitive to adjustment and twist awfully easily so I tape them in place and mark them so I know if they get bumped. Not ideal but it works and the scope does not loose its adjustments.

Other tapes are as follows:

The barrel has leafy camo tape on it because it's a glossy glaring barrel that game can see easily. The hand stitched leather covering on the end of the barrel near the front sight is there to prevent my wedding band from makin a clicking noise each time I grab the barrel with my hand and to prevent barrel scratches.

1721586355270.webp

Here's a bigger view:

1721586543478.webp

The pellet holder on the left side of the gun can be accessed with a thumb and forefinger without taking eyes off the target and is held in place with Velcro straps:

1721586739250.webp

The self-made leather extra pellet bags are also easily accessible and just hang down from the stock on the right side of the gun:

1721586822464.webp

There is some vinyl tape holding a self-made gun sling in place that allows cocking the gun because it wraps around the forefend because you can't really attach normal sling studs to the center of the forfend because of the way you would a normal action:

1721587163243.webp

I usually make paracord slings for many of my guns but this air rifle was a little heavy for the minimal clothing I often have on when backyard hunting so I spliced a larger strap into it and it hangs from my shoulder like this:

1721587426353.webp

The gun is so effective that Del (short for Delilah) my frequent hunting companion would often bed down by it to make sure if I took it outside with me I could not leave the house without her!

1721587616001.webp

Probably MORE than you wanted to know! Ugly but effective. It's what I call WFM - "works for me".

Have a good day!

Last edited:
Not really. Take 10 minutes and do a google search on what's needed to kill an elk. Half or more of the recommendations will be a magnum of some sort. But a magnum isn't really needed. Your 30-06 isn't really needed. People could switch to a more recoil friendly caliber, that they can shoot for days on end without developing a flinch, sore shoulder, or bad habits in general. Ask around how many times a year those people shoot those magnums. Ask them their ability to stay on target thru the shot, if they can spot their impacts. Ask those same people why they don't shoot their magnums more often. Bet it's recoil or cost, or both. Which brings us back to this thread, the whole need for a sled. People are shooting calibers they shouldn't, so they're using a sled to justify it. And just read thru the thread. For whatever reason the majority of people on this site have a huge hate for anything with 6.5 or creedmoor in the name. It's like they're magically inferior to anything else on the market lol. But for the recoil, cost, and ballistics they're just hard to beat.
I've killed elk with my 30,06 & my .280. I didn't mention the .280 in the first post because frankly the recoil is very similar.

The black vinyl tape keeps the scope crosshair adjustment turrets from getting bumped and twisted. They really need to be completely covered with scope caps from the manufacturer for a scope used in the field. They're probably 1/4 inch moa adjustments at 100 yards so they are sensitive to adjustment and twist awfully easily so I tape them in place and mark them so I know if they get bumped. Not ideal but it works and the scope does not loose its adjustments.

Other tapes are as follows:

The barrel has leafy camo tape on it because it's a glossy glaring barrel that game can see easily. The hand stitched leather covering on the end of the barrel near the front sight is there to prevent my wedding band from makin a clicking noise each time I grab the barrel with my hand and to prevent barrel scratches.

View attachment 235850

Here's a bigger view:

View attachment 235852

The pellet holder on the left side of the gun can be accessed with a thumb and forefinger without taking eyes off the target and is held in place with Velcro straps:

View attachment 235854

The self-made leather extra pellet bags are also easily accessible and just hang down from the stock on the right side of the gun:

View attachment 235855

There is some vinyl tape holding a self-made gun sling in place that allows cocking the gun because it wraps around the forefend because you can't really attach normal sling studs to the center of the forfend because of the way you would a normal action:

View attachment 235856

I usually make paracord slings for many of my guns but this air rifle was a little heavy for the minimal clothing I often have on when backyard hunting so I spliced a larger strap into it and it hangs from my shoulder like this:

View attachment 235857

The gun is so effective that Del (short for Delilah) my frequent hunting companion would often bed down by it to make sure if I took it outside with me I could not leave the house without her!

View attachment 235860

Probably MORE than you wanted to know! Ugly but effective. It's what I call WFM - "works for me".

Have a good day!
I've always said, if it works, it works.

A lead sled absolutely has a use. It can help greatly to make sure whether the shooter is the problem, perhaps with a flinch, or if maybe something has gone wrong with a gun, whether it be scope mount, ring/base issue, or something else. It helps to take the human element out of the equation to figure out what is wrong. It helps with practice sometimes, especially with guns that have a good thump when you shoot. If you have a critter in front of you, you'll have some adrenaline running that you don't have punching holes in paper. You won't notice the recoil as much with the critter there. And you're more apt to be more familiar with a rifle if you've shot it a few times, even if that's shooting it off a sled.

Save your money, buy more ammo, and learn to shoot
You have no idea who I am or how I can shoot. Who are you to even say this? Are you the best brightest person with a firearm in the world? I don't even buy ammo I reload. If you don't reload learn how and become a real shooter

You have no idea who I am or how I can shoot. Who are you to even say this? Are you the best brightest person with a firearm in the world? I don't even buy ammo I reload. If you don't reload learn how and become a real shooter
buddy, you let my statement get to you lol. It's obvious you fall in one of the categories. Which one is it?

Latest posts

Back