• Help Support TNDeer:

Let's Talk Catoosa

I would pay $100 for a permit to hunt it all season. It is tough to connect on the early bow hunt with a good buck bc they just aren't moving much at all during daylight and other than that we currently have 3 really crowded gun/muzz hunts and as a bow hunter, there is not a really well timed, good hunt. Having all season to hunt, I think guys would be more selective as well and hold out for better bucks. When you only have a couple weekends a season there most people are going to shoot the first legal buck they see. If they won't do this, at least add a bow quota hunt the first couple weeks of November for guys that only bow hunt and want a better chance during the rut.
I agree with all of this. Also - I think it would add a ton of excitement surrounding Catoosa. It's reputation has been sinking for years. I'd gladly pay $100.

If we're gonna talk season... the bow hunt should be first week of November. The velvet hunt too. Then one week of Muzzleloader. No gun hunt period. All hunts should allow bears, boars, and coyotes to be taken.
yep agree
I agree with all of this. Also - I think it would add a ton of excitement surrounding Catoosa. It's reputation has been sinking for years. I'd gladly pay $100.
That should make enough money to fix the bridge and then have some left over to do actual food plots, corn fields, and bean fields! Look we just solved all the problems LOL

If we're gonna talk season... the bow hunt should be first week of November. The velvet hunt too. Then one week of Muzzleloader. No gun hunt period. All hunts should allow bears, boars, and coyotes to be taken.
The coyotes and boars are legal during any big game hunt. I agree- they should be legal during small game well.

I think there must be quite a lot of poaching going on out there on Catoosa. Something's definitely not right, the place had a ton of potential.

I heard stories about one guy and his Dad poaching out there. By the time I was able to gain more information, he took a job out of town, and I heard they'd stopped.

Last edited:
I mean $100 x 1,000 permits/yr = $100,000/yr. Over a couple of years surely that would do some good for the place!
Yes sir...you'd think so. It would be a win-win situation. Good for the wildlife, Catoosa, and hunters. I think. That's what I always liked about LBL. If I got drawn on a quota rifle hunt, I could drive over and spend a week, bowhunt and scout. I would love to be able to bow hunt Catoosa throughout the season.

Problem is it wouldnt go to just to catoosa, and lets have more bow only opportunities and hell no, no guns, screw them guys🙄
Not saying to "screw" gun hunters. But the obvious way to improve upon game numbers as well as quality is to reduce weapons range. No it isn't a fix. But, it would have a positive impact until the land held more deer. Then have an antlerless draw for gun to keep herd in check. The juvenile hunt is having very few killed. That tells me the population needs a boost. I may be wrong, but I have seen the results from limited firearms seasons. Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, says you can't argue the fact. Those are fairly heavily hunted states that produce quality opportunities year after year. Don't say it's crops. Deers diets are still mostly browse. That's just facts.

Not saying to "screw" gun hunters. But the obvious way to improve upon game numbers as well as quality is to reduce weapons range. No it isn't a fix. But, it would have a positive impact until the land held more deer. Then have an antlerless draw for gun to keep herd in check. The juvenile hunt is having very few killed. That tells me the population needs a boost. I may be wrong, but I have seen the results from limited firearms seasons. Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, says you can't argue the fact. Those are fairly heavily hunted states that produce quality opportunities year after year. Don't say it's crops. Deers diets are still mostly browse. That's just facts.
Thats exactly what your doing, cut the draw by a thousand if you want to help, but to exclude gun hunters is definitely screwing guys that dont bow hunt. Population needs a boost? Hell the population they have needs something to eat, but you want more deer to compete with existing deer,hogs,bears, turkeys, and squirrels for what little they have to eat now. Just like every where else twra has control of they need better management with less tags and more food. Gun or bow doesnt matter , dead deer are dead whether its from a gun, bow, predators, or starvation. Cut number of tags and give em something to eat

Thats exactly what your doing, cut the draw by a thousand if you want to help, but to exclude gun hunters is definitely screwing guys that dont bow hunt. Population needs a boost? Hell the population they have needs something to eat, but you want more deer to compete with existing deer,hogs,bears, turkeys, and squirrels for what little they have to eat now. Just like every where else twra has control of they need better management with less tags and more food. Gun or bow doesnt matter , dead deer are dead whether its from a gun, bow, predators, or starvation. Cut number of tags and give em something to eat
I don't see how this screws gun hunters??? Same amount of days gun hunting as ever. And, I guarantee more deer will be killed on those days than all the deer killed by bow hunters. Cutting the gun tags by a 1000 screws gun hunters more than adding more days for bow hunters. Plus bow hunters killing some does, lowering the doe population will help with the food situation and will even the buck to doe ratio which will improve the gun hunting imo. Somehow you are equating more days bow hunting with being unfair to gun hunters, when in reality, imo, it improves the entire area, which is better for gun hunters and bow hunters. But, it doesn't matter, because it's never going to happen anyway. And, I gun hunt/Muzzleload hunt way more than I bow hunt anymore. I've only bow hunted at Catoosa a few times, but have gun/muzzleloader hunted many times.

Latest posts

Back