• Help Support TNDeer:

mobile tree stand

Man you can go broke quick trying all the different mobile methods. I've not tried many because of that reason, so I stick with old tried & true. I'm 6'2 x 240lbs and use an old Lone Wolf Alpha with four sticks, and an aluminum Summit Viper climber. Between the two I can hunt pretty much anywhere on a whim. I wouldn't dare argue there aren't better options because I'm sure there probably are, but I'm not going to remortgage my house to find it. My stuff is old from a time when there weren't many options yet and it's still pretty darn good so surely at this point there ought to be lots of great options on the market. I don't know if you could go wrong.

I moved my stand every day for almost a week, sometimes twice per day as I closed in on this buck feeding on white oak acorns. When I finally got on him I was hanging about 12ft up in a tree that was barely big enough for the straps to tighten, but it was a really bushy hickory so it gave my 6'2 x 240lb self some cover. I saw countless deer very close to me and never got busted once.

View attachment 243408
I second this response. You really need both. A mobile lock on and sticks like listed above and a reliable climber. I'm smaller and lighter at 5'6 and 155 so I feel comfortable in a smaller platform. I have a LW assault 2 and just now found a lightly used beast stand and beast sticks. They are very light and sturdy.

Both stands have their place. For thick nasty unhuntable trees I can climb anything with my beast setup. For hardwoods after leaf drop when i'm gun hunting I'm faster and can get higher with my summit. I use a hazmore mesh seat and a waist strap on my summit for farther hikes.

I'm on public and I'm bringing a stand in and out with me every trip and I won't hesitate to move even as little as 50-60 yards to get into a spot where I can kill. I am constantly telling myself to "get into the game."

If you are seeing glimpses of deer and just hoping one comes closer, you are putting too much into luck instead of making your own luck imo. I have always done better making adjustments every few hours. I'd find another tree that I need to be in wait till wind picks up and sneak into the new spot.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.webp
    IMG_2645.webp
    145.1 KB · Views: 1
If you have the time and a few spare parts lying around, the Millennium Microlite can be made into a not only light but comfortable option. I used Lone Wolf Versa buttons and a v bracket from an old set of sticks to do mine. Pair it with a set of XOP sticks and it's quick and quiet. Plus it all packs well. Grant it, I rarely use a stand unless i am on a hunt such as a draw, because i just cant.View attachment 243404
This!

Get a Millennium M7 and pair it with XOP X2 sticks. Make the mods as stated and you'll have a combo that's awesome for around $100 less than the price of a LWCG or Beast stand by itself.

Here is a video I made of my M7 mods (shows Hawk sticks but I've since switched to XOP X2):

Last edited:
A saddle set up is the single best piece of hunting gear ive purchased. Carrying my Summit climber all over public land sucked.
Man I'm the complete opposite, I'm not a saddle guy at all, I've tried 3 different ones but it's just not for me. I've carried my 14lb summit open shot climber all over this state, Public and private lands and have killed a ton of deer out of it with a bow. I can set it up in the dark very quietly and be completely set up at hunting height(20-25ft) in less than 10 minutes.

I will say there are areas where a climber is not the best option but very rarely do I run into those situations, mostly in Midwest states that I have that issue but occasionly I do around here. When I do I have a set of tethrd one sticks and a lone wolf .5 hang on. It's a sweet light weight set up and I can get in just about about any tree with it but it's still not as simple and user friendly as my open shot in my opinion.

i've got the API bowhunter climbing stand, and bought the upgrade chain set when they came out. it weighs in at almost 18 lb. closer to 25 lb. after i attach water bottle, pouch with rope, knife, snacks.

My Viper SD aluminum weighs 17 pounds. I replaced the big padded seat with a mesh seat to shave weight.

I'm 66. Been at it for over 40 years in many states almost all public and all Southern. There has literally been a climbing tree behind every climbing tree,

BUT...on the occasion when I am not hunting near a thicket, instead IN A THICKET where there are little trees, I use a few sticks and a Millinium stand the is very light, maybe 9 pounds.

Also the Millinium stand uses buckles so leaving these little buckles on various trees scattered about on your favorite spots makes things much quicker!

I do not like saddles and sticks because they are generally too slow. I have never met any one who can pack into a tree and get up to 18 or so feet, shot ready and settled, (commonly higher than that in winter), faster/ quieter/safer than me and my climber.

If I were still young, I'd probably be all over the saddle thing, but when I was young, I wasn't a saddle hunter and the saddle thing was around then too. It's been around for decades, Social media has made it "En Vogue" !

I have found my LWCG .5 to be my favorite go to stand system of all time. I carry 4 17" compact sticks with 17" aiders but often find myself only 2 sticks high. I'm a smaller guy @ 5'7" and 185lb so the frame of the stand and seat height fit me well. I always use my saddle for my safety harness even in my lock on. While I have a managed to acquire virtually every Hunting system known to man lol, saddles , platforms, ROS, lock ons, climbers, sticks and climbing spurs they all pretty much collect dust now since going to my .5. There is no set up I can't get into and I could go up or down the tree completely blindfolded in the pitch black and never miss a beat.

I'm 53 and weight 260 lbs. Not in the greatest shape. With that said, I saddle hunt. Currently I either one-stick climb or 2 tether climb. My entire saddle setup, including everything I need to get up the tree and hunt from that tree, weighs about 12 lbs on the high side depending on the method I choose.

I use the Custom Gear Modifications Cobra saddle. Great guy, vet, who lives and works out of Knoxville. Great thing is you can talk to him directly and even go by the shop if you're in the area. For me as a bigger guy, the Cobra is awesome and very comfortable.

I started out with a Summit Viper and honestly you couldn't pay me enough to lug that aluminum beast through the woods anymore. In addition I despised the fiddle factor to get it unpacked and on the tree. Way too easy to make noise. It was comfortable, if I wanted to take a nap but I'm there to hunt and the saddle setup works great for me. If you're interested in saddle hunting, ask around, you'll like find someone in your area that can show you how it works and then you can decide for yourself. There is a learning curve to it, and that's where I find most people who say "it wasn't for me" have missed it, they didn't take the time to truly get it dialed in.

I've got a cruzer XC saddle, tehtrd skeletor sticks and a platform of which I forget which one. Bought them about 3 years ago and still haven't used them except a couple times in the yard. Plan to do so this year if all goes as planned.
This is close to my setup except I modified one of the skeletor sticks and put a harken cam cleat and a 1/4in Amsteel rope mod which makes one sticking so Much easier than with the 1/8inch thin amsteel figure 8 cleat that comes with them. I also added a 3 step 1" webbing aider and to me is a lot easier than the diy amsteel 3 step aider which I tried for a season. The webbing just feels sturdier and is a little easier to get your foot in place in it. I have a tethrd XL platform. I have used this set up about 40% of the time and still find myself gravitating to my old summit viper climber for when I don't have to walk very far but need to get in super quiet. I think if I keep practicing with the one sticking I will get more quiet when climbing. The best part about one sticking is the rapel back down which only takes a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back