• Help Support TNDeer:

Ned Rig fishing

Harold Money jr

Those of you who are real good with a Ned rig, my question is….
Do you drag it like a worm, or swim it more maybe hop it like a jig? I have them and have been underwhelmed by the success I've had. I tend to drag and stop. I know there's a technique and am curious. Thanks

So many ways to fish a ned rig but if I'm gonna drag/hop along bottom I'm usually throwing something else... Im mostly targeting smallmouth but I like to throw it out and let it flutter/do it's thing to the bottom and wait a few seconds and give it a good pop and if they don't hit it then I'm reeling it back in and repeating... Most of my bites will be on the fall though... Also I like to pendulum it back to the boat on suspended fish..

I think it varies each trip. I try dragging and hopping each time I go. Also play with fast and slow retrieves. Make sure your main line is highly visible. A lot of my bites happen when there is slack in my line. Having visible line helps me to see the strike. I'm definitely a line watcher. I go with braid on the main line with a 6-7 foot fluorocarbon leader. Hope that helps.

I wouldn't say that I'm real good with a Ned rig being that I crappie fish 99% of the time, but the Ned rig is my go to for pond bass. The Z-man 2.5 inch crawz are my favorite. I drag it like a worm, stop and reel up slack, then drag again. Like I said I'm not a bass fisherman per se, but have been very surprised with my success with this method.

I wouldn't say that I'm real good with a Ned rig being that I crappie fish 99% of the time, but the Ned rig is my go to for pond bass. The Z-man 2.5 inch crawz are my favorite. I drag it like a worm, stop and reel up slack, then drag again. Like I said I'm not a bass fisherman per se, but have been very surprised with my success with this method.

are those made out of elastec too?

We have used them in the past. I've only had luck with places with rocky/gravel bottoms. Bouncing and pulling very slow along the bottom. With fluorocarbon line.

Like many lures there are different ways to fish a Ned rig depending on what the fish trigger on. My favorite is a low hop with the crawfish but a faster jerk retrieve with a grub or minnow. I almost always expect the strike on the fall and have had fish take the craw a foot off the rod tip.
My favorite lure to fish is a long worm but if I'm just going for supper I rig a Ned craw.

When I tried them a few years back, I got snagged too often. I also didn't really know what I was doing. In retrospect, I should have fished them exactly like a tube.

Pouring some heads up this week for specks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729_102309_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20240729_102309_Gallery.webp
    113.6 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back