• Help Support TNDeer:

New hunter looking for friends near unit C region 6 JC area interested in all game animals

Zwinegar

I'm a new hunter this is my first year getting into it. I've been researching and learning everything I need to know and purchasing tools of the trade etc. I'm hoping to hunt the North Cherokee wma come season time for squirrels then deer, turkeys, and the works all year but don't know any hunters and wondering how I can make some friends to teach me the ropes. I have been posting at my local gun club looking for hunters but haven't gotten anyone so far. Also wondering how hard it is to find a land owner that is willing to let me use their woods for small game or even deer come season. Im getting a 1022 for small game and will get anything needed for each animals type (I have a field dressing flissa tool kit) I want to hunt frequently for sustenance, and to pass it down the knowledge learned to my kid. My grandpa is the only hunter I knew and he passed to cancer a quite few years back sadly and I'm pretty introverted/antisocial and don't mind hunting alone for squirrels that seems super simple to clean but the other game animals like deer seem to be something I need first hand experience with and some supervision so I don't ruin the meat, mess up the identification, etc. I want to stay legal and do it right and this site seemed like a good place to look for some help without paying a "guide".

I'm 30 conservative and in school for my welding cert with a lot of free time currently until end of spring 2025.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Could use info like the best coordinates / entry into North Cherokee wma for squirrels and suggestions on shotguns for waterfowl. Recommended scope for 10/22 would love to join a hunting party for foul this year and an experienced deer hunter to go with me on my first deer hunt if it's possibly for someone to let me use a rifle for deer. Really close to unicoi and some land out there would be great to hunt on if possible. I've read the regulations done lots of studying thanks everyone.

Well, I'm not really close to Johnson City, but I'm willing to help if you can travel a bit. I'm east of Knoxville, but still probably 2 hrs away. In this day, it's pretty tough to find someone to let you hunt their land. Guess it's possible, just people not very willing anymore.
As for N. Cherokee...get a map from TWRA. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure you're going to want to stay off the bear reserves.

As for the 10/22 scope, you can go as expensive as you want, but a 4x32 Simmons 22mag scope will work just fine...for about 40.00.

As for a deer rifle....again, you can go as expensive as you want, but there are plenty of budget rifles available now that won't break the bank. A thousand dollar rifle won't kill a deer any deader than a budget rifle. My daughter has killed a truckload of deer with an original Axis that I paid 250.00 for. Never a miss or lost deer.

Feel free to contact me if anymore questions...or you can travel down this way. I don't mind helping a new hunter.

Buy you a .308 in a savage axis or ruger american. Those rifles out perform their price point. Top it with a good scope. Budget friendly, I would look a Sig Bucmaster 3x9. Not great clarity but holds up well and stays zeroed. As for waterfowl...your better off using your hard earned money to go elsewhere. But if you insist a Winchester SXP is a solid performer as well as 870 and Mossberg 500. Stick to the pump and it will not let you down. Personally for being able to stretch your season and never really sacrifice reliability check into buying one of the firestick compatible muzzleloaders. Mine is CVA Crossfire is reliable easy to clean and capable to 200 yards if I really want to push it. As for the jc area head to any of the Cherokee forest around the lake, or Rocky Fork in Unicoi. Boot leather is the only real way to hunt there. Get a good topo map or app. Learn how to navigate using them and mark potential areas on it. A great book by Brad Herndon explains using terrain for hunting whitetail. If I recall it is Mapping Trophy Bucks. You may find a copy used at Mr.Ks, I would loan you my copy, but the last 2 times I have loaned it I had to buy a new one as I never got mine back.

Last edited:
Buy you a .308 in a savage axis or ruger american. Those rifles out perform their price point. Top it with a good scope. Budget friendly, I would look an Sig Bucmaster 3x9. Not great clarity but holds up well and stays zeroed. As for waterfowl...your better off using your hard earned money to go elsewhere. But if you insist a Winchester SXP is a solid performer as well as 870 and Mossberg 500. Stick to the pump and it will not let you down. Personally for being able to stretch your season and never really sacrifice reliability check into buying one of the firestick compatible muzzleloaders. Mine is CVA Crossfire is reliable easy to clean and capable to 200 yards if I really want to push it. As for the jc area head to any of the Cherokee forest around the lake, or Rocky Fork in Unicoi. Boot leather is the only real way to hunt there. Get a good topo map or app. Learn how to navigate using them and mark potential areas on it. A great book by Brad Herndon explains using terrain for hunting whitetail. If I recall it is Mapping Trophy Bucks. You may find a copy used at Mr.Ks, I would loan you my copy, but the last 2 times I have loaned it I had to buy a new one as I never got mine back.
I'll definitely check the book out thank you so much for the great information!

You mentioned squirrel hunting. In my opinion that's the best place to start hunting in general and it is good practice for deer hunting. You will learn how to be in the woods, walk in the woods, walk quietly, navigate the terrain and other valuable skills. It's also a good way to scout new areas for deer hunting and you may locate some good deer hunting spots that way.

So for public land looking at the map it shows near buffalo mountain as North Cherokee wma specifically wondering if I legally could walk on the Off-road vehicle trail head and hunt squirrel / small game off of dry creek road. If not park at the lot or off the road safely and walk into the forest there. Much rather use a trail starting so I don't get lost and I wouldn't think it to be to busy being an off-road trail.

Buffalo is almost always busy with atv traffic. I haven't been there in a long time so maybe things have slowed a bit. Rocky Fork has or had nice trails to walk. Lots of bears however. Check more into areas around Jacob's creek or little oak campground.

Buffalo is almost always busy with atv traffic. I haven't been there in a long time so maybe things have slowed a bit. Rocky Fork has or had nice trails to walk. Lots of bears however. Check more into areas around Jacob's creek or little oak campground.
Rocky fork looks like a good place just looking for places as close to JC as I can since my car chugs gas.

Latest posts

Back