Possible turkey units?

Buzzard Breath

deerfever

Sounds like it could cause problems for certain areas, wouldn't people just flood the counties that open earlier or have higher bag limits? Maybe I am reading it wrong or something. I will wait for further details to form an opinion but skeptical at this point that it would help manage regions. Maybe private opens at one point and public at another?

Southern Sportsman

Total joke as long as they continue to use the online checkin.

Having turkey units WILL NOT work.
I can think of several issues that will have to be addressed (if possible), but I'm curious why you think it can't work.

I ask because I genuinely respect your opinion on the subject. And to be clear, I'm not arguing that it will work, but I don't think the current regs are particularly effective either. Several states manage turkeys by regional unit (e.g., AL, AR, FL, SC). Why do you think it won't work in TN?

scn

IMO, the reason it WILL NOT WORK is because of the current check in procedures. If I can check a bird in by phone or computer from my vehicle or home, it won't matter if my county is open or if I have already taken my county limit. I can pick any county in the state during my check in. It is nice in theory, and gives biologists "work" and job security to determine those regs, but, it is totally nonenforceable.

It will be abused.

I will be lobbying against such a change.

bowhunterfanatic

IMO, the reason it WILL NOT WORK is because of the current check in procedures. If I can check a bird in by phone or computer from my vehicle or home, it won't matter if my county is open or if I have already taken my county limit. I can pick any county in the state during my check in. It is nice in theory, and gives biologists "work" and job security to determine those regs, but, it is totally nonenforceable.

It will be abused.

I will be lobbying against such a change.
I can definitely see this. Not that it will really affect me any being in west TN, but I guarantee you if we get to open a week or two earlier that people in middle and east TN will be hunting at the same time as me and just checking the birds in online in a west TN county. As much as I was against the pushing back of the season I have to admit it probably helped to make me more successful last year and I'm perfectly fine with it going forward.

scn

Lawbreakers will break the law regardless of what laws are applied or enforced. In my mind, management by zone is in the interest of the resource and any attempt to better manage the wildlife resource is a positive.

Whether managed by zones or not, lawbreakers won't change their behavior.
100% correct on the violations.

But, there is no reason to make it very easy for them to do so. This proposal has a high potential to cause serious law enforcement issues without much gain on the other side. When you know something is going to be a problem, it doesn't make a lot of sense to move forward with it.

It sounds like a job security deal for TWRA biologists.

TheLBLman

IMO, the reason it WILL NOT WORK is because of the current check in procedures. If I can check a bird in by phone or computer from my vehicle or home, it won't matter if my county is open or if I have already taken my county limit. I can pick any county in the state during my check in. It is nice in theory, and gives biologists "work" and job security to determine those regs, but, it is toootally non-enforceable.
Yes, micro-managing by county, even portions of counties, it's absolutely a terrific idea in theory.

It's just that in reality, many humans are dishonest & will cheat, and that's much of the problem already, in that as more do so with impunity, a growing number then feel entitled to do the same.

Any rules or laws that are not being enforced, get abused & ignored.
Look at how shop-lifting has sky-rocketed nationwide in such a short period of time.

TheLBLman

It's a shame we can't "manage" with better localized precision, since we do have great capabilities to micro-manage for superior results at the county level & below, but it's too complicated and too non-enforceable.

A better plan is simple, no confusion, highly enforced.
Sadly, this means more conservative statewide bag limits and shorter statewide seasons.
But it does not mean more "rules" or "laws". Keep it simple.

Maybe if TWRA had opted for less liberal bag limits & season lengths (especially opening so early as to draw in large numbers of non-resident turkey killers), we wouldn't have had to now have a 2-bird limit, shorter season, and no "bonus" birds on quota WMA hunts.

Never mind that, yes, some areas could withstand very high bag limits and long seasons. But we did try that statewide for years, as the turkey population plummeted in long-established turkey hunting counties, mainly only thriving where there had not been and still is not much turkey hunting.

Andy S.

From polling my groups of hunting friends and acquaintances, I suspect this will have a cult like following (support). Many of them have requested this for years in the season setting comment period. Time will tell how this pans out.

TheLBLman

One more thing:

With greatly increased "complication" & "confusion" of regs & laws, the net outcome is often opposite what the "leaders" project.

Think about how democrat politicians are always making everything about gun ownership & use more complicated & confusing, under the guise of reducing crime. Does just the opposite, mainly just punishing the honest law-abiding citizens, while helping the dishonest commit more crimes.

Complicated turkey regs, especially if different via counties, would be akin to traveling from TN to Illinois, in terms of the gun law confusion & complication whereby Illinois could impose on you fines & imprisonment for accidently violating some bureaucrat's edicts, when all you wanted to do was safely travel.

TheLBLman

At present, one of the biggest things going against the future of "sport" hunting (which is what most turkey & deer hunting have been the past few decades), i.e. hunting as one of many "sports", is overly complicated & confusing game laws.

Younger people, who might otherwise be interested in trying, too often quickly lose that idea as they become confused by unnecessarily complicated regs, as many initially interested are in fact honest, but can be so afraid of accidentally becoming a law-breaker, they give up before they start. I've also seen many older hunters quit hunting, in large part over the same fears of accidently breaking a game law.

It's easy to just feel, well that's great for those of us still hunting, as fewer hunters means more game for me. But what happens when the non-hunting public simply outlaws most "sport" hunting? THAT is already happening in many areas, as government sharp-shooters are replacing hunters to control deer over-populations.

Boll Weevil

County, start date, end date, public/private, daily limit, season limit. I'm not the sharpest fellow on the planet but how complicated could the potential new regs be to understand?

Now whether folks choose to abide them is another concern altogether but the term "complicated" just doesn't come to mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts