• Help Support TNDeer:

President's Island Quota Hunt 2024

cg02175

Well, I had 13 preference points going into this year, but I still did not get drawn for President's Island December quota hunt. I now have 14 preference points. I am curious who all got drawn for the late December hunt, and how many preference points you had coming into this year? I am pretty confident I will get drawn for sure next year with 14 preference points.

On another note about President's Island, it appears TWRA increased the hunter quota from 30 total to 50 beginning this year, so now all those of us that have waited years to get drawn now have to contend with more hunters. It will be much more crowded for everyone now on this hunt. The increase helps more people get drawn every year of course, but kind of sucks for the ones that have waited 13-14 years to now have to deal with almost double the amount of hunters.

Pi may still be the best hunt in the state but the odds of success just keep getting lower. It probably takes the deer about 5 minutes to figure out that it's on! I know for Ensley, as soon as they start hearing trucks, mature bucks start running over the levee. They should have reduced the number of hunters and given them a week to hunt instead of 3 days. There's a reason why any big game guided hunt is at least a week. Generally you only get a few good weather days to hunt.

Pi may still be the best hunt in the state but the odds of success just keep getting lower. It probably takes the deer about 5 minutes to figure out that it's on! I know for Ensley, as soon as they start hearing trucks, mature bucks start running over the levee. They should have reduced the number of hunters and given them a week to hunt instead of 3 days. There's a reason why any big game guided hunt is at least a week. Generally you only get a few good weather days to hunt.
You are talking common sense, something the TWRA will never have.

Did they reopen Ensley for the draw? We drew the island 2-3 years ago but the October hunt because I screwed up when applying and blew the 11 or 12 points I had. Anyway Ensley had been shut down due to the gangs / violence based on what the TWRA guy told us and assumed Ensley was done for good. I don't apply this year and don't look.

Did they reopen Ensley for the draw? We drew the island 2-3 years ago but the October hunt because I screwed up when applying and blew the 11 or 12 points I had. Anyway Ensley had been shut down due to the gangs / violence based on what the TWRA guy told us and assumed Ensley was done for good. I don't apply this year and don't look.
The best I can tell, Ensley is no longer offered. The hunting hasn't been good there due to flooding for several years. The gangs and violence is not a good excuse as it's the same everywhere around Memphis including PI.

The best I can tell, Ensley is no longer offered. The hunting hasn't been good there due to flooding for several years. The gangs and violence is not a good excuse as it's the same everywhere around Memphis including PI.
We drew Ensley in 2008 and enjoyed but the island didn't even hunt it on that Sunday. Loaded our stuff up and went home. Officer told us the last straw for Ensley was their guys were there and a cracked out lady came through and was accusing everybody of any and everything. Said they would hear full autos going off and pulled the plug on it. Who knows what really caused it.

That was kinda how I saw it. Other than farmers there's nobody there year round then you unleash 30 (now 50) 4 wheelers and side by sides on the island.
It's common knowledge that deer swim the MS river. Miss state has done gps surveys that showed deer spending a summer in Louisiana and winters in MS.

Has anyone seen any of the deer swim the river as those hunts have started? I'd have to believe the deer know what's going on, but most don't completely leave the island. I would think they'd hole up tight against bedding cover until after dark and greatly diminish their daylight movement.

It's common knowledge that deer swim the MS river. Miss state has done gps surveys that showed deer spending a summer in Louisiana and winters in MS.

Has anyone seen any of the deer swim the river as those hunts have started? I'd have to believe the deer know what's going on, but most don't completely leave the island. I would think they'd hole up tight against bedding cover until after dark and greatly diminish their daylight movement.
Part of the island is private, has been for years, being hunted. The timing of the rut is what hunters have going for them. I'd say not many legal bucks, but still a better chance than anywhere else in the western part of the state, as far as the overall size of the hunting area.

We drew with 14. If it's anything like it was 14 years ago it will be good.
I will be anxious to hear your feedback. Weather and daytime temps will be primary driver for daytime sightings. I personally would not want to cash in 8-12 points for October hunt (can be unseasonably warm and muggy in extreme SW TN). Good luck bud!

We drew Ensley in 2008 and enjoyed but the island didn't even hunt it on that Sunday. Loaded our stuff up and went home. Officer told us the last straw for Ensley was their guys were there and a cracked out lady came through and was accusing everybody of any and everything. Said they would hear full autos going off and pulled the plug on it. Who knows what really caused it.
No exaggeration; hearing full autos is a nightly thing in Memphis. My buddy has a business downtown and he has bullet holes all over his roof. I'd definitely be carrying all the time.

Latest posts

Back