• Help Support TNDeer:

Punishment for the best deer hunter

With allthe hype about chnging buck limits, I rarely hear much on this topic. But let's hear a post or three.

Several "psuedo qdm types" (armchair biolgists) have made mention of changing Tn. to a one buck limit to produce greater numbers of older aged bucks. O-K.

But doesn't that change of limits PUNISH those who are having no problem hunting and killing older aged classbucks NOW. With the way things are?

So what about the guys and gals who are able to take 2 or three old bucks per season right now? Do they just quit buck hunting after punching their first or second tag?

Or are the one buckers convinced that these successful mature buck tag punchers are either non-exietent or so few in number that it really doesn't matter?

Some, I am not sure what percent, of the people that want a one buck limit believe that the hunters that are capable of killing, and do kill 2 or 3 older bucks a year are somehow depriving them the opportunity to kill older deer because the ones that are killing are killing them all and they should be sharing the wealth. They do not consider that a lot of hunters hunt areas that they would not be able to hunt for one reason or another.

A one buck limit wouldn't have any effect on the overall health of the deer herd but some folks believe it would increase there chance at an older buck.

I think that the biggest misconception of a 1 buck limit is that there'd almost be an old buck behind every other tree and they'd be easier to kill. Not so.

Mike Belt said:
I think that the biggest misconception of a 1 buck limit is that there'd almost be an old buck behind every other tree and they'd be easier to kill. Not so.
x2. You, I and about 50 others at Ames KNOW this is not the case. We have about 8 years of a VERY STRICT QDM experience and data to support our position.

On our lease we are only allowed two bucks per season. But just like if the state sets a one or two buck limit. There will be few that still take 4 and 5 bucks per season. Theres a fella that hunts on some public land that I hunt sometimes, its somewhat remote, and he kills 5 to 6 bucks per season. He shoots every small 8 pt he sees. He makes jokes about the local wardens not being able to catch him. Myself I think two bucks per season is plenty.
Its just logic by not killing as many bucks more will make it to be a older class buck. Then you have to factor in the carring capacity of your property. To many things to factor in.

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
Most of the ones that want a lower limit are your best hunters.

That is a ridiculus statement right there!

If that were true, they would be satisfied with their THREE, MATURE buck limit.

1+3=4

4/2=2

I favor a 2 buck limit.

I would much rather see this debate be 2-buck vs. 3 buck instead of 1-buck vs. 3 buck. Some knowledgable folks here have expressed their preference for a 2-buck limit.

at $136 a year I sure hope I will always be able to kill more than 1 buck. Since we changed the limit to 3 I have seen a increase in my average "shooter" buck going from around 100" to 120" on public land. We are right where we need to stay for a while.

Football Hunter said:
stik said:
muddyboots said:
anything with testicles counts as a buck.

if that's the case, then buttons should be legal during "buck only" hunting.
Or not legal at all,IMO,if a mistake is made,it counts as a buck.Yeah I know..............

nope. if it's gonna count against my buck limit then it should be legal at all times.

Latest posts

Back