• Help Support TNDeer:

Rage

Winchester said:
With a good fixed head there is nothing left to chance, that alone ends the debate for me!! Why would I ever introduce a possible problem (mechanical head) into my setup, when its totally unneccessary and not needed at all!
And yes I have been involved with many many deer shot with both fixed heads and mechanicals, even helped track a few shot with the Rage heads. Bottom line is a bad shot is a bad shot regardless of head! Mechanicals are a band aid or cover up for poor bow or arrow tuning however!

Me too Winchester. And the point everyone makes about deer falling in sight does not carry much weight if you ask me because the same shot with a fixed blade will produce the same result.

Nothing wrong with Rage broadheads. I shot Grim Reaper's for 3 or 4 years and loved them. Bought some Rage's to try them out and love them. I prefer mechanical heads and have never had a failure with them. I may later on but they have ethically killed deer for me. Even on a marginal shot or two the cutting diameter proved the difference.

Bottom line is shoot what you feel comfortable with. Everyone will give you a different opinion as to why or why not.

StalkingWolf said:
Winchester said:
With a good fixed head there is nothing left to chance, that alone ends the debate for me!! Why would I ever introduce a possible problem (mechanical head) into my setup, when its totally unneccessary and not needed at all!
And yes I have been involved with many many deer shot with both fixed heads and mechanicals, even helped track a few shot with the Rage heads. Bottom line is a bad shot is a bad shot regardless of head! Mechanicals are a band aid or cover up for poor bow or arrow tuning however!

Me too Winchester. And the point everyone makes about deer falling in sight does not carry much weight if you ask me because the same shot with a fixed blade will produce the same result.

I have had my bow tuned and every arrow tuned. I still cannot get a fixed blade to pattern that great after 25 yards. If you know of anything else to help please let me know. The mechanical blades have exact field point flight and pattern great.

If you decide to go with the Rage I would choose the 2 blade over the 3 blade. I've tried the 3 blade and found it's durability to be somewhat suspect. If you want a rock solid broadhead go with Slick Trick.

whistlinwingman said:
Bottom line is shoot what you feel comfortable with. Everyone will give you a different opinion as to why or why not.
I agree, but would add "what you feel comfortable with AND can readily afford to buy."
Among the "everyone" that will give you opinions are the marketing campaigns of the various broadheads, which can include paying well-known bowhunters to use or "endorse" a particular head.

Fixed heads are more durable and generally less costly than mechanicals. Some fixed heads can be used, over and over, same head, to kill multiple deer, providing a lot more lasting value than a typical less durable mechanical. Compared to mechanicals, it's often easy to simply sharpen or replace blades on a fixed head. While it can be like performing surgery to attempt replacing blades on a mechanical.

The below came from another thread, but maybe it's fitting here, too. For those of you who don't know "Radar", he is very accomplished bowhunter, who for as long as I've known him, has always hunted with a bow 100% even during muzzleloader and rifle seasons when he lived in Tennessee for many years. Needless to say, his opinion is valued, as I know he's not being paid to give it.

Radar said:
Wes Parrish said:
Radar said:
I have Rage , Slick Tricks , and G5 Strikers in my quiver . All fly the same out of my setups . Each has their attributes .
Radar, please share your rationale for carrying this mix, as I'm always open to learn something.

I like using fixed blades when hunting thicker areas , where slight contact with vegetation could open a mechanical and cause a deflection , yet a fixed blade would fly more true with less deflection . It may be more hypothetical than anything , but that is just my reasoning for the choice in broadheads .
Same for ground blinds , I'll use my fixed blades if I plan on shooting through the mesh , and mechanicals in open windows and in more open cover as well .
I like using wide cutting diameter mechanicals when possible because I believe a bigger hole in the viitals leaves a shorter and better blood trail .

I bought a pack of rage last year and I did not see what all ther "rage" was about. The moveable blades would vibrate in my quiver when shooting with the quiver on the bow. The blades would also often come loose from the o-rings requiring me to correct it. The deer I shot with them died no quicker than any others that I shot with fixed blades. My biggest beef with them was that they seemed to require my constant attention not to mention the cost. I have always advocated simplicity in my setups. The less points of failure, the better. And as Wes mentioned, fixed blades can be re-sharpened over and over giving you much more bang for your buck. Thunderheads and Muzzys are still on the top of my list.

Wes Parrish said:
whistlinwingman said:
I agree, but would add "what you feel comfortable with AND can readily afford to buy."
Among the "everyone" that will give you opinions are the marketing campaigns of the various broadheads, which can include paying well-known bowhunters to use or "endorse" a particular head.

Fixed heads are more durable and generally less costly than mechanicals. Some fixed heads can be used, over and over, same head, to kill multiple deer, providing a lot more lasting value than a typical less durable mechanical. Compared to mechanicals, it's often easy to simply sharpen or replace blades on a fixed head. While it can be like performing surgery to attempt replacing blades on a mechanical.

I agree. The fixed are definitely more cost effective. I've noticed replacement blades for fixed heads are more readily available too.

My brother shoots the Rage, and they leave an AWESOME blood trail, but they are so stinking expensive, and are only good for 1 deer. He has only been able to replace the blades on a few of the ones recovered from deer (or the ground on the offside of the deer) beecause the bodies were so badly bent. He has never had problems with premature deployment or rubberbands breaking, and he says that Rage has supposedly fixed that problem.
I shoot Muzzy 3 blades and they shoot just fine for me, but don't give the spectacular "looks like it was shot with a rifle" look. They are far more economical for a family budget, and are as tough as any broadhead on the market.
So I guess you could call the Rage the "sports car" on the market, and the Muzzy would be the "work truck" that is reliable and always seems to get it done.

RackRocker said:
Beardendy88 said:
Have any of you guys used rage broadheads before? I'm thinking oh switching from muzzy mx-3
Don't do it! If want something different shoot slick tricks
If you like a challenge blood trailing yea go ahead and shoot a slick trick! I shot them 2 years in a row, the fly awesome but blood trails are horrible, it about cost me my biggest bow kill in 09 i 12 ringed him at 15 yards arrow was covered in blood but we only found found 2 drops of blood and had to body search for him. Now last year, im still sick to this day, same deal pse evo with a slick trick 12 ringed a 160 class buck at holston defense, found the arrow but never found a drop of blood, searched for over 3 hours for blood and deer never found either, ill never shoot another slick trick! And btw i sharpend all my blades before i use them in the field i just dont know why they were leaving no blood, but never again my friends.

Lots of good points. I'll say this, a gut shot I want a large diameter head like the rage. Shoulder hit I want a good fix blade.

Trying the kill zone this year to see if the tip makes a difference in penetration and no o-ring

solocam_5 said:
RackRocker said:
Beardendy88 said:
Have any of you guys used rage broadheads before? I'm thinking oh switching from muzzy mx-3
If you like a challenge blood trailing yea go ahead and shoot a slick trick! I shot them 2 years in a row, the fly awesome but blood trails are horrible, it about cost me my biggest bow kill in 09 i 12 ringed him at 15 yards arrow was covered in blood but we only found found 2 drops of blood and had to body search for him. Now last year, im still sick to this day, same deal pse evo with a slick trick 12 ringed a 160 class buck at holston defense, found the arrow but never found a drop of blood, searched for over 3 hours for blood and deer never found either, ill never shoot another slick trick! And btw i sharpend all my blades before i use them in the field i just dont know why they were leaving no blood, but never again my friends.
I watched all mine fall in sight.

I've had bad experiences with rage but can only say great things about spitfires and I'm talking about shooting big bodied mature deer...

RackRocker said:
solocam_5 said:
RackRocker said:
Beardendy88 said:

You haven't shot many deer with a bow then.

BowGuy84 said:
RackRocker said:
solocam_5 said:
RackRocker said:
Beardendy88 said:

You haven't shot many deer with a bow then.
Iv shot plenty of deer with a bow! Just a slick trick has failed me twice, and im not some person who only shoots a bow a week before season either, i shoot year round, asa's, locals you name it im there.

Hollar Hunter said:
I've had bad experiences with rage but can only say great things about spitfires and I'm talking about shooting big bodied mature deer...

Spitfires are the only broadhead I'll shoot. Great blood trails and a very durable head.

Latest posts

Back