• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain chance

It was 4 weeks Monday that I tilled and planted 50 lbs of crimson clover and 50 lbs of buck forage oats. Before then we'd had no rain for atleast 3 weeks or more and we had maybe .3 tenths of rain one day within the 4 weeks I planted. There's no way anything germinated. I reseeded 50 lbs of oats again and a bag of 7 card draw Tues anticipating the rain that was starting today. Luckily it started about 1pm today and has been a steady drizzle since then. This reseeding should make it take off. I'm hoping some of the clover I originally planted will take off as well as my plan is to extend my existing clover plot out to this for next year. Either way I'll broadcast 100 more lbs or so with a snow or heavy frost this winter.

Rain chances all through the weekend so I'll probably be planting my others plots next weekend. Latest I've ever gotten them in but better late than never I guess.

Me looking for that 2"+ that Putnam county was supposed to get:

Confused High Quality GIF

E. TN forecast has gone to crap - nothing so far and now it's under 30% chance thru Sunday and nothing for the amount. Wednesday it was 80% chance of 1.5" total so I went ahead and planted. This sucks

Had more good showers here that just ended. I walked back earlier this morning and checked the plot that i reseeded. It looked good, no erosion but a lot of oat seed was floated to the top.

I did the exact same thing. I bushhogged after seeding, so hopefully that thatch layer will keep the turkeys from eating all of it!
I planted two places on Wed afternoon. Disced best I could, planted, and disced light pulling a drag in anticipation of today's rain. We've got nothing so far. We'll probably get it tomorrow afternoon when I have weekend plans. :(

I'm not worried about turkeys in one spot but pretty sure they're having a field day in another. At least I had a good hatch there this spring , but I have a love, hate relationship for turkeys this time of year.

Latest posts

Back