• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain chance

Over seeded around 10 acres of different plots today with arrowleaf and crimson clover. In the really thin parts that the bearded buzzards got to, I broadcast a wheat /rye mix. Hopefully you guys in the West will send a little our way. The chances look decent

Last edited:
I got all 6 acres of our clover plots drilled in wheat and oats today, then went back over all of them and broadcasted 10 lbs of clover on top. Worked from 8:30am till 4:30 this afternoon, but got all of them done. I'm exhausted - it is such a dry heat. My mouth was so dry today and I can't tell you how many waters I drank - atleast a gallon. The other 20 acres will probably be drilled next week sometime

I got all 6 acres of our clover plots drilled in wheat and oats today, then went back over all of them and broadcasted 10 lbs of clover on top. Worked from 8:30am till 4:30 this afternoon, but got all of them done. I'm exhausted - it is such a dry heat. My mouth was so dry today and I can't tell you how many waters I drank - atleast a gallon. The other 20 acres will probably be drilled next week sometime
Man! I wondered what made my mouth so dry this afternoon! I was close to drinking dirty, stagnant pond water because I ran out!

8ac this afternoon (dry dry dry). Rollin out at the buttcrack of dawn to get after it again before the rain starts in earnest.
Dry dry dry is right! Just drilling I was caked in dirt dust. Took a shower and it lined the shower floor / dark snot / dirty cue tips from the ears. I'm in shape but this heat just drains you. Next few days will be nice

Man! I wondered what made my mouth so dry this afternoon! I was close to drinking dirty, stagnant pond water because I ran out!
It was bad! But I was motivated because you could feel something in the weather was shifting. I expect some pics coming in tonight and tomorrow morning because they know there's a shift approaching

I saw deer all over the place as I was leaving. Even saw some in places I haven't been seeing them most of the summer.
We had a new buck show up last night we haven't seen all summer. Not a shooter, but good up and comer. They're starting to move around, because of weather pattens, but also, we've seen they're starting to shed and fall shifting is starting

Well it's all in. About 13ish acres drilled in wheat and oats mix on main farm. Went 1 pure oats and one pure wheat to do a little testing. We drilled in our other farms to make sure drill was good a few days ago. Top sowed clover back into our pitiful clover fields. Had limed spread on 30 acres of hay ground today and drilled in 15 acres of rye grass for spring pasture. Will spread fertilizer in a couple weeks. And will drill some of the farmers crops acres when out. Long days now are always worth it. Looking forward to cold fronts and big deer.

Well it's all in. About 13ish acres drilled in wheat and oats mix on main farm. Went 1 pure oats and one pure wheat to do a little testing. We drilled in our other farms to make sure drill was good a few days ago. Top sowed clover back into our pitiful clover fields. Had limed spread on 30 acres of hay ground today and drilled in 15 acres of rye grass for spring pasture. Will spread fertilizer in a couple weeks. And will drill some of the farmers crops acres when out. Long days now are always worth it. Looking forward to cold fronts and big deer.
Our clover plots, as well, are pitiful. Eaten down and shriveled up to nothing. Thats why I didn't want to calibrate the drill for clover. I wanted clover everywhere. We will see what happens

Our clover plots, as well, are pitiful. Eaten down and shriveled up to nothing. Thats why I didn't want to calibrate the drill for clover. I wanted clover everywhere. We will see what happens
This rain & cooler weather will make your existing clover pop. Ours was looking rough until we got 4"+ rain over Labor Day weekend and now coming back strong.
When I bought seed this year I got 150# of perennial clover mix to frost seed with. Had an extra guy yesterday helping, so he overseeded a bunch that we won't have to fool with in February. Perfect timing.

CONGRATS to all the food plots farmers (FPF) that planted the past few days, believe we hit a home run !!
I like that term - FPF. If it takes off, it's all yours. I do believe we will be good with this one. Forecast shows my area will get around 5" 😁. Just hope it's not a gully washer

Latest posts

Back