• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain chance

Yup, enough consensus now exists in all of the models - including the tropical models - that this system is going to move up the MS River and park over far western TN that I'm pulling the trigger and replanting today.

In the below rainfall forecast graphic, the dark green over western TN is 2-4".

Attachments

• Rain2.webp
    Rain2.webp
    92.5 KB · Views: 1
Personally, I would prefer to wait another day or two to confirm the forecast, but I will be away Wed-Sun, hence I need to make the decision today. I have just Monday and Tuesday to replant.

Against my better judgement and mainly because we have a lot of hay ground to seed and reseed this year. We are going to roll the dice Wednesday morning and drill all of ours in. I have a bad feeling about it. But I guess worst case we will reseed.

Do you normally get some pretty good use out of fall planted buckwheat?
I get by far the most use of Buckwheat in fall. I've planted it in spring and the deer use it very little. But planted in August/September, the deer go crazy over it. It's like a candy plant them, even though the first frost will kill it. I use it as a cover crop to protect my fall annuals until they get well established.

Against my better judgement and mainly because we have a lot of hay ground to seed and reseed this year. We are going to roll the dice Wednesday morning and drill all of ours in. I have a bad feeling about it. But I guess worst case we will reseed.
I hate when a forecast looks so good. It can't be true!

But I have very tight time constraints, so I went ahead and rebroadcast seed yesterday.

I just hate we sprayed our big plots with 2-4D on 9/7. Will just have to wait 10-14 days. Hoping this weather being pushed up will do a total changeup on our weather pattern and bring more consistent rain. It typically does

I just hate we sprayed our big plots with 2-4D on 9/7. Will just have to wait 10-14 days. Hoping this weather being pushed up will do a total changeup on our weather pattern and bring more consistent rain. It typically does
🤞I'm in the same boat as you are on our last plots to get in. I'm ready to just be worrying about the hunting part at this point.

The long, long-range models suggest we'll go back to warm weather for a week or so, but then a pretty big change around the end of September. In fact, looking at those models, I'm worried about an early freeze killing the Buckwheat I just planted!

The long, long-range models suggest we'll go back to warm weather for a week or so, but then a pretty big change around the end of September. In fact, looking at those models, I'm worried about an early freeze killing the Buckwheat I just planted!
That's interesting

It will be tomorrow for sure. I am concerned about erosion if we get a gully washer.
This is a real possibility for west TN.

The worst food plot year I ever had was a few years ago when I got 13 inches of rain the week after planting. Most of my plots are low and they went completely underwater. Total failure that year, and too wet to replant.

Latest posts

Back