• Help Support TNDeer:

Shellcrackers

larry ipock

Went out to one of the local watersheds to see if I could catch some post spawn perch. I saw some of the biggest crackers in my life, they were actually spawning. I didn't know this body of water had shellcrackers that big. I do now :)

LOVE catching them suckers!!
Did you try to catch any of them?

It amazes me when they are on the bed, at certain times, they will flat out ignore anything you put in front of them. Dunno if it is when they are laying, fixing to lay or what.

Don't rule out an artificial for them. Found a bed a couple of years ago while basin and didn't have live bait. Dug a Trout magnet kit that had mini craws and maybe even helgrimites(sp) and tied on and wife and I caught several before being run out by storm.

Yeah, caught I of the giants (9 in.) on a little swimbait. Every time you throw live bait, the smaller gills, and warmouths swarm it. I know it sounds unreal, but I would not be afraid to say that these guys are 10 to 12 in long! The best I could count the number of em, looks like a dozen or so, and that's in the 6 ft. of water there in. Its untelling how big or how many there are out in the 10 to 15 ft. area. Oh! If I only had a small boat. Days like this, my 18 ft Crestliner is a hinderance, since the city and county won't allow boats with gas motors. Gonna try for em again the crack of dawn Fri. morning.

larry ipock":gtkc28p3 said:
Yeah, caught I of the giants (9 in.) on a little swimbait. Every time you throw live bait, the smaller gills, and warmouths swarm it. I know it sounds unreal, but I would not be afraid to say that these guys are 10 to 12 in long! The best I could count the number of em, looks like a dozen or so, and that's in the 6 ft. of water there in. Its untelling how big or how many there are out in the 10 to 15 ft. area. Oh! If I only had a small boat. Days like this, my 18 ft Crestliner is a hinderance, since the city and county won't allow boats with gas motors. Gonna try for em again the crack of dawn Fri. morning.

I have one mounted 13" long and they get quite a bit bigger!

GOHUNT":3kt3ylg8 said:
I have one mounted 13" long and they get quite a bit bigger!

The biggest one I ever caught was considerably larger than my previous best, which was 1 3/4#.
It was my first trip after installing the front deck in my boat.
I swung it in and it promply came off the hook, fell and landed right on the instep of my right foot.
Squirted straightaway across the deck and off the side back into the water. :bash:

I swing them behind me over the deep part of my boat now. :D

Latest posts

Back