Should we even worry about CWD anymore?

BSK

If the day comes that nature has decided that deer should become extinct from CWD there is nothing on this earth that will change it, they will and something else will replace them.
I don't think that day will come. The White-tailed Deer is one of the most genetically diverse mammal species known. Massive genetic diversity leads to "Nature finding a way." Eventually (in fact, I think it's already true), some deer will be immune to CWD. These deer will continue to pass on their resistance to their offspring. Now because CWD doesn't kill quickly, the spread of genetic resistance will be slow. Probably 50-100 years before resistance is widespread. But it will happen.

bloodtrailing

Jc, over the past few seasons, we've had younger and younger bucks. The older deer just aren't there in the numbers they were before. Since we age every deer that is checked in, we have the statistics. Sadly, this is a fact.
Did they not reduce the size restrictions that would lead to this. CWD was here well before it was identified.

trkhunter

And by the way, I'm NOT saying "Don't follow the CWD rules." I'm saying I'm not worried about it spreading to my area. It will. It's already close. But I AM saying I will change nothing about my hunting or management styles because of CWD.
what if twra says otherwise??

BigAl

I no longer worry about it because I can't really control it or do anything about it that I haven't already done. I do think once it hits areas in TN that have lower deer densities it will slow the spread or affects on the herd. Those areas will think CWD is much ado about nothing because it will have less affect there, but here its had a huge impact.

DeerCamp

I don't think that day will come. The White-tailed Deer is one of the most genetically diverse mammal species known. Massive genetic diversity leads to "Nature finding a way." Eventually (in fact, I think it's already true), some deer will be immune to CWD. These deer will continue to pass on their resistance to their offspring. Now because CWD doesn't kill quickly, the spread of genetic resistance will be slow. Probably 50-100 years before resistance is widespread. But it will happen.
Hey BSK, I think your point here is interesting. The theory put forth by the researchers is that these heartbeat areas are important because they will become the areas with the highest % of resistant deer the fastest.

I do not know this to be true, and I think your idea has plenty of merit.

What IS clear is that the idea of having liberal regulations in regions with very little CWD doesn't seem to be the right call.

DeerCamp

The only change I made is that I have mine tested, and won't eat a positive one. I just don't want to be the test case if it does jump from cervid to human.
It would be exceptionally unwise to eat positive deer because the risks are non-zero. If it is possible, even if extremely rare, would be more likely in deer with higher concentrations of prions.

That said, I have an untested tenderloin thawing in the fridge right now. Should be tasty :)

BSK

Hey BSK, I think your point here is interesting. The theory put forth by the researchers is that these heartbeat areas are important because they will become the areas with the highest % of resistant deer the fastest.
This is correct. The areas that have CWD the longest and at the highest concentrations are the "test beds" for finding resistant or immune deer.

TheLBLman

And by the way, I'm NOT saying "Don't follow the CWD rules." I'm saying I'm not worried about it spreading to my area. It will. It's already close. But I AM saying I will change nothing about my hunting or management styles because of CWD.
We may not change anything about our management styles,
but our results may be greatly & adversely effected by the hunting regulation changes implemented as CWD edicts.

Iglow

I read that there was a rush to cut the chestnuts as the blight got going, cutting healthy trees before the blight got them. In doing that the one tree that held the key to resistance may have been cut, I hope the rush to lower deer density does get that one deer killed.

TNTreeman

I read that there was a rush to cut the chestnuts as the blight got going, cutting healthy trees before the blight got them. In doing that the one tree that held the key to resistance may have been cut, I hope the rush to lower deer density does get that one deer killed.
My dad called me today telling me the tree contractors for the electric company were cutting ash trees at a farm we have around here . They told him they're cutting them before the eab gets them which I don't agree with for the same reason you mentioned above . Seems crazy to me but I have bigger fish to fry today . 🙄

Ski

Unfortunately the same thing is now happening with ash and just recently with beech. Ash are already almost gone. I've lost nearly all of mine, minus a few resistant trees. It's sad because I remember when the forest was full of them. They were straight, tall, and huge. Superb lumber logs but now they're gone.

Iglow

Unfortunately the same thing is now happening with ash and just recently with beech. Ash are already almost gone. I've lost nearly all of mine, minus a few resistant trees. It's sad because I remember when the forest was full of them. They were straight, tall, and huge. Superb lumber logs but now they're gone.
Yep, practically every ash at Cedar forest I saw when me and Sib were squirrel hunting last winter was dead or dying. But at the house I've got 5 big ones I'm having treated that are fine and the others I'm not show no signs at all of EAB? Distance by air is probably 20 miles.

Ski

Yep, practically every ash at Cedar forest I saw when me and Sib were squirrel hunting last winter was dead or dying. But at the house I've got 5 big ones I'm having treated that are fine and the others I'm not show no signs at all of EAB? Distance by air is probably 20 miles.

Yeah I've got a few that seem resistant. One in particular is enormous and it never skipped a beat, still full canopy and strong. I've also got a few small groves/thickets of ash saplings that I'm hoping will be resistant. Probably won't know in my lifetime. Otherwise most of mine have all rotted away into soil again or are rotting on the stump. I've been dragging out the ones solid enough to mill and using them for barn siding, but it's a race against time because they rot so fast.

MickThompson

the only way I see us ever getting past EAB is the bug wipes out all the mature trees they have to feed on and die

fairchaser

Or just look at any area that has way more cwd data, simply because they've had it for 20+ years, and see how their herd compares. That's been my argument against yours for quite awhile. I'm glad you're starting to come around tho.

I'm currently in a cwd hotspot. Wisconsin. Talked with a local the other evening. He had more concerns with blue tongue. I don't think he understands what truly happens, but he knows that an infected deer is dead in a week tops. If by chance that the deer makes, and it's very slim, that's great. Deer will live with cwd for years. They'll continue to reproduce and thrive.
We are seeing different stats and listening to different experts I guess.

Latest posts