Should we even worry about CWD anymore?

fairchaser

CWD is here to stay and it will eventually spread everywhere. Like Covid, there is no stopping it. It's doubtful whether any of the efforts to slow the spread have actually done anything.

Yes, it has and will impact populations in some areas as I'm a witness of that in the area I hunt. But, it won't eliminate a population altogether; just make the population younger.

There is no magic cure on the horizon and thankfully doesn't seem to pass to humans or any other animal that's not in the deer family.
So, here we are. We just have to live with it just like Covid. It's part of society now and forever more.
Is it time to just move on and put it behind us? I say yes.

bowhunterfanatic

I'm in eastern McNairy County, so fairly close to some confirmed positives. I didn't worry about it when it was found and continue to not worry about it now. Fortunately we haven't been noticeably affected yet but when we inevitably are there is nothing I can do about it so I see no reason to worry about it.

DeerCamp

CWD is here to stay and it will eventually spread everywhere. Like Covid, there is no stopping it. It's doubtful whether any of the efforts to slow the spread have actually done anything.

Yes, it has and will impact populations in some areas as I'm a witness of that in the area I hunt. But, it won't eliminate a population altogether; just make the population younger.

There is no magic cure on the horizon and thankfully doesn't seem to pass to humans or any other animal that's not in the deer family.
So, here we are. We just have to live with it just like Covid. It's part of society now and forever more.
Is it time to just move on and put it behind us? I say yes.
Fairchaser, nature IS the magic cure. Research is already showing that some deer are developing resistance. We can identify those deer and transplant them into other areas since this feature is definitely hereditable.

PLEASE READ THIS LAST SENTENCE FROM THE ARTICLE

As a result, some individuals are more durable when presented with the prion proteins that cause CWD, and these are the animals nature will select for as disease prevalence increases. This suggests reacting to CWD by aggressively removing all animals from the landscape, or depopulating farmed herds, could cause more harm than good by indiscriminately killing individuals highly resistant to CWD.

fairchaser

It won't even make your population younger….
Jc, over the past few seasons, we've had younger and younger bucks. The older deer just aren't there in the numbers they were before. Since we age every deer that is checked in, we have the statistics. Sadly, this is a fact.

backyardtndeer

It will be here likely forever since the prions exist in the soil and cannot be destroyed. Really don't see anything we can do at this point that is going to impact cwd spreading. We will continue to have our deer tested, but not really going to worry about it since there is nothing we can do to change it.

Jcalder

Jc, over the past few seasons, we've had younger and younger bucks. The older deer just aren't there in the numbers they were before. Since we age every deer that is checked in, we have the statistics. Sadly, this is a fact.
Or just look at any area that has way more cwd data, simply because they've had it for 20+ years, and see how their herd compares. That's been my argument against yours for quite awhile. I'm glad you're starting to come around tho.

I'm currently in a cwd hotspot. Wisconsin. Talked with a local the other evening. He had more concerns with blue tongue. I don't think he understands what truly happens, but he knows that an infected deer is dead in a week tops. If by chance that the deer makes, and it's very slim, that's great. Deer will live with cwd for years. They'll continue to reproduce and thrive.

Omega

Fairchaser, nature IS the magic cure. Research is already showing that some deer are developing resistance. We can identify those deer and transplant them into other areas since this feature is definitely hereditable.

PLEASE READ THIS LAST SENTENCE FROM THE ARTICLE

As a result, some individuals are more durable when presented with the prion proteins that cause CWD, and these are the animals nature will select for as disease prevalence increases. This suggests reacting to CWD by aggressively removing all animals from the landscape, or depopulating farmed herds, could cause more harm than good by indiscriminately killing individuals highly resistant to CWD.
I disagree, we humans need to stay out of it until nature runs it's course. Nature will select which ones survive and which will not, all we do is interrupt that cycle. Once the prevalence rate declines to an acceptable level, then we can repopulate any areas that may have been decimated by deer with weak constitutions.

DeerCamp

I disagree, we humans need to stay out of it until nature runs it's course. Nature will select which ones survive and which will not, all we do is interrupt that cycle. Once the prevalence rate declines to an acceptable level, then we can repopulate any areas that may have been decimated by deer with weak constitutions.
I suppose I just meant there are things we CAN do. May not be the right thing to do.

It's also possible some treatments will be developed

BSK

I will disagree with part of that last statement. I would 'depopulate" deer farms in a heartbeat. What purpose do they serve for the health of white-tailed deer? None. In fact, they were responsible for spreading this disease all over the country. Outlaw deer farming.

Let Nature handle the rest. And we won't need to "repopulate" anything. CWD has never and will never kill out a deer population. We have decades of experience to show that. Even in the areas that have had it the longest and the highest percentage of the population has the prions in their system, the deer herds have not (and will not) die-off. Nature will leave those deer that are resistant or immune to keep the population going.

Iglow

I will disagree with part of that last statement. I would 'depopulate" deer farms in a heartbeat. What purpose do they serve for the health of white-tailed deer? None. In fact, they were responsible for spreading this disease all over the country. Outlaw deer farming.

Let Nature handle the rest. And we won't need to "repopulate" anything. CWD has never and will never kill out a deer population. We have decades of experience to show that. Even in the areas that have had it the longest and the highest percentage of the population has the prions in their system, the deer herds have not (and will not) die-off. Nature will leave those deer that are resistant or immune to keep the population going.
If the day comes that nature has decided that deer should become extinct from CWD there is nothing on this earth that will change it, they will and something else will replace them.

Latest posts