• Help Support TNDeer:

Targeting Small, Largemouth Bass

CBU93

I have been invited to fish a local pond that needs an extensive amount of overpopulated largemouth removed from the waters. These are fish in the 10" to pound and a half size. I am thinking lighter action rods and small spinners, wee craws, and small top-water Rapala's.

I need to remove about 40 per outing. Recommendations? And don't tell me to take Ruger :bash:

You will wear them out the first trip or two. Then they will get really finicky and harder to catch. I guess it somewhat depends on the size of the pond but thats been my experience in the past when I had the same goal in mind. It will be trial and error on which baits to use. Soft plastics are hard to beat in a pond IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is overpopulated ,most anything will work. I have the same problem and need to remove a bunch from my pond. They will hit nearly anything that moves or not. I went back there about three weeks ago since I couldn't get out on the lake and wore them out for two or three hours.

I fished a pond like that several years ago and wore them out on an 1/8 oz buzzbait, tiny torpedo, and super fluke. I like the ned rig idea as well.

Choose days that are cloudy, and about any of the above mentioned stuff should work well.

bowhunterfanatic":180ux88e said:
Ned Rig, at least that's what I'd use after the first few trips.

x2 Nice thing about the Zman line of plastics and a dab of super glue is that you can catch 30+ fish on one lure.

Also, I'd add a Baby -1 to the list

You may want to check in with the local wildlife officer before starting the eradication. Ponds have the same size and creel limits as all Tn waters.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but, just doing it without touching base with TWRA opens you up to some issues.

TCA 70-1-101: (39) "Waters of the state" means any waters within the territorial limits of the state of Tennessee;

scn":26k5qyje said:
You may want to check in with the local wildlife officer before starting the eradication. Ponds have the same size and creel limits as all Tn waters.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but, just doing it without touching base with TWRA opens you up to some issues.

TCA 70-1-101: (39) "Waters of the state" means any waters within the territorial limits of the state of Tennessee;

ive always wondered about that but could never find anything on it. thanks for posting. i suppose for a private pond the statewide limit for black bass would apply? no length limit, but a 5 fish creel limit?

WTM":27x2rddx said:
scn":27x2rddx said:

ive always wondered about that but could never find anything on it. thanks for posting. i suppose for a private pond the statewide limit for black bass would apply? no length limit, but a 5 fish creel limit?

Correct.

If I just wanted to catch as many bass as possible I would be throwing a weightless zoom super fluke or a wacky rig. Ned rig is a good option as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CBU93":19srgj4x said:
What the heck is a Ned rig?

649b0e5e324d3b36cbf274738cd47266.jpg

WTM":3fdttmav said:
CBU93":3fdttmav said:
What the heck is a Ned rig?

basically a half of a stick bait threaded on a light wire crappie jig.
more specifically a Z-man Finesse TRD which is like a shortened mini Senko on a Z-man Finesse Shroomz jighead. It's deadly on all kinds of bass.

Latest posts

Back