• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling motor battery

scn

I don't have much luck with trolling motor batteries. My last couple from Academy Sports have leaked and had to be replaced. To the credit of AS, they covered them under the year warranty, but one was a hassle.

I don't use them very often, so there is more sitting around than actual use. I am pretty good about recharging after any use.

Any suggestions on the next one I buy? The Omegas are out of my price range.

Thanks!

Honestly I just get mine from Walmart.
Normally get about 3 years out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. Walmart batteries. Three or four years of service and charging with a battery tender then I just get another one at the first sign of trouble. I spent a lot of time looking for a good and affordable trolling motor battery and determined it was less stress to just replace the dang things when they act up.

I've been very pleased with my Duracell AGM's from Sam's. They are made by Deka which are primo. Not as expensive as the Dekas thank goodness.

By far without a doubt the best investment you can make is an on board charger. Just plug the boat up after fishing and leave it plugged up until you use it again. Will more than make your money back from having to buy new batteries. I just replaced an interstate cranking battey that was 8 years old and still no problems. Just replaced it to be on the safe side. I even have an onboard charger mounted on the wall for my pond prowler battery. 3-4 years out of Walmart batteries is very common with an on board charger. Have had several different brands on several boats and the Min Kota chargers are just as good as any.

tnanh":14mdh9hs said:
By far without a doubt the best investment you can make is an on board charger. Just plug the boat up after fishing and leave it plugged up until you use it again. Will more than make your money back from having to buy new batteries. I just replaced an interstate cranking battey that was 8 years old and still no problems. Just replaced it to be on the safe side. I even have an onboard charger mounted on the wall for my pond prowler battery. 3-4 years out of Walmart batteries is very common with an on board charger. Have had several different brands on several boats and the Min Kota chargers are just as good as any.

100% SPOT ON! The Minn Kota on board chargers have a better warranty than any of the others I've seen. I've been totally satisfied with the Wal Mart Everstart batteries as well.

tnanh":vv2604hf said:

makes me feel good about my interstate batteries. mine are 5 years old and still going strong.

WTM":16fevw8g said:
tnanh":16fevw8g said:

makes me feel good about my interstate batteries. mine are 5 years old and still going strong.

In my original reply I was going to tell him the best battery I have ever seen is the interstate cranking battery that he has on his boat, or had anyway. :D
I have just never used one for the trolling motor though.

If you can get to Dresden, TN go to Mathis Battery and get their Bass Buster battery. Best wet cell battery I've ever used and their customer service is second to none.

chunkandwind":fkc4jg7i said:
If you can get to Dresden, TN go to Mathis Battery and get their Bass Buster battery. Best wet cell battery I've ever used and their customer service is second to none.

there used to be a Mathis in Camden, good to know they still have a store, and will keep that in mind. they sold good batteries and used to have great prices on interstates.

ADR":1tbw352m said:
I've been very pleased with my Duracell AGM's from Sam's. They are made by Deka which are primo. Not as expensive as the Dekas thank goodness.

Same for me. I use three 31's for my Ulterra. We use the motor about 3-5 hours each trip and after 2 trips the batteries are still at 90-95%. I am now on the 4th year with the same 3 batteries

Thanks for all of the info. Due to boat configurations and storage limitations, I don't really have the option for an onboard charger. I do try to recharge after a day's fishing before it is put up.

With only VERY occasional use, is it worth the extra money to buy a deep cycle battery over just an automotive starter battery?

scn":1piodglg said:
With only VERY occasional use, is it worth the extra money to buy a deep cycle battery over just an automotive starter battery?

Yes Steve, it is worth a few extra dollars for a deep cell battery. There is quite a difference between the two in structure

ADR":pjvx5voh said:
scn":pjvx5voh said:

Yes Steve, it is worth a few extra dollars for a deep cell battery. There is quite a difference between the two in structure

Thanks! That is what I have always bought, but, haven't been getting a lot of years out of them. I'll try some of the suggestions I've been given!

scn":h3p763ox said:
Thanks for all of the info. Due to boat configurations and storage limitations, I don't really have the option for an onboard charger. I do try to recharge after a day's fishing before it is put up.

If it were me I would buy a Minn Kota single bank onboard charger and keep it in your shop or garage. After a days fishing hook your battery up and forget it until next time. The MK single banks are pretty cheap. I have one on my pond boat and it has worked flawlessly. A deep cycle battery is absolutely worth the money. It is designed to slowly charge and slowly discharge where a car battery is designed to put out a large burst of power for a short amount of time. For $150 plus tax you can get a Minn Kota MK106D and an Everstart deep cycle battery and be set for at least 3 years.

Spurhunter":2zq885pv said:
scn":2zq885pv said:

If it were me I would buy a Minn Kota single bank onboard charger and keep it in your shop or garage. After a days fishing hook your battery up and forget it until next time. The MK single banks are pretty cheap. I have one on my pond boat and it has worked flawlessly. A deep cycle battery is absolutely worth the money. It is designed to slowly charge and slowly discharge where a car battery is designed to put out a large burst of power for a short amount of time. For $150 plus tax you can get a Minn Kota MK106D and an Everstart deep cycle battery and be set for at least 3 years.

I'm sure that is one of my problems. I don't have a shop or garage to store my boats. They sit on the back of my lot under boat covers when not in use. I'd love to have the place to store where I could use one of those charging systems.

scn":uckpu03m said:
I'm sure that is one of my problems. I don't have a shop or garage to store my boats. They sit on the back of my lot under boat covers when not in use. I'd love to have the place to store where I could use one of those charging systems.

Even more reason to buy the Minn Kota. Weatherproof. Waterproof. Mine sits in my johnboat on the back bench 24/7. Rain, sunshine, it don't care.

Interstate or Deka for your batteries. I just replaced a 9 year old interstate cranking battery that has been trouble free. I replaced it, well cause its 9 yrs old. Also I agree on the charger. Minn kota will maximize the life of your batteries.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The onboard smart charger is the #1 thing you can do to make your battery last and get peak performance. Over or under charging a battery will cut the life of your battery.
I did a lot of research before buying mine. Got the minnkota. Its small enough to mount under the console or in a hatch.
When I get home from fishing, I run the extension cord to the boat and plug it in. Boom done. Boat and battery is always ready to go with no worries about over charging.
Mine is parked outside with no cover, with the charger mounted under the console, no worries about rain and having to run out and unplug a standard charger.
Huge peace of mind knowing that my batteries are always charged and ready Plus, my trolling motor battery is needing replacement now after 6 + years. Ill get another Duracell deep cycle at Sams for around $120 and be set for another 6 years.

Latest posts

Back