• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling motor battery

scn":2vcnxkf2 said:
Spurhunter":2vcnxkf2 said:
scn":2vcnxkf2 said:
Thanks for all of the info. Due to boat configurations and storage limitations, I don't really have the option for an onboard charger. I do try to recharge after a day's fishing before it is put up.

With only VERY occasional use, is it worth the extra money to buy a deep cycle battery over just an automotive starter battery?

If it were me I would buy a Minn Kota single bank onboard charger and keep it in your shop or garage. After a days fishing hook your battery up and forget it until next time. The MK single banks are pretty cheap. I have one on my pond boat and it has worked flawlessly. A deep cycle battery is absolutely worth the money. It is designed to slowly charge and slowly discharge where a car battery is designed to put out a large burst of power for a short amount of time. For $150 plus tax you can get a Minn Kota MK106D and an Everstart deep cycle battery and be set for at least 3 years.

I'm sure that is one of my problems. I don't have a shop or garage to store my boats. They sit on the back of my lot under boat covers when not in use. I'd love to have the place to store where I could use one of those charging systems.

i imagine that may be the reason they are leaking. lead acid batteries will freeze and leak. i had that problem at my old house on my waverunners. they were under a drive under carport but it got cold enough one year i had to replace them.

you might want to look at an AGM battery. they wont freeze that i know of. i put 2 on the waverunners 3 years ago and they are still running strong. oreillys store brand.

A battery with a full charge will not freeze. During our 30+ years in Alaska we just topped off the charge in Sept, disconnected one terminal, and batteries were at least 95% charge the following April. Both our boats and RV were stored outside with no battery issues.

Snowwolfe":2es3k6uv said:
A battery with a full charge will not freeze. During our 30+ years in Alaska we just topped off the charge in Sept, disconnected one terminal, and batteries were at least 95% charge the following April. Both our boats and RV were stored outside with no battery issues.

yeah we didnt have a way to put a charger on them, no outlets, and didnt disconnect the leads. yamaha tech said they probably discharged and froze. i took them off in spring to charge them and the sides were bulged and leaking from a split in the casing.

Latest posts

Back