• Help Support TNDeer:

TWRA investigating fatal boating accident in East Tennessee

Re: TWRA investigating fatal boating accident in East Tennes

Wow.
Dams are scary dangerous places to be.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

ya im not a fan. risk vs reward.....im out. i mean its just a darn fish...you know? :(

In my dumber younger days, we used to nose a boat just on the other side of the boils and cast flies against the dam to catch stripers on our fly rods. The fishing was outstanding but you could feel the current trying to pull the boat under and looking back it was dang stupid. The amount of under currents, suck holes, and death traps that close to the dam is shocking.

Setterman":1naxi5xc said:
In my dumber younger days, we used to nose a boat just on the other side of the boils and cast flies against the dam to catch stripers on our fly rods. The fishing was outstanding but you could feel the current trying to pull the boat under and looking back it was dang stupid. The amount of under currents, suck holes, and death traps that close to the dam is shocking.

Got that stupid t- shirt too!!! Most scared I have ever been. Foolish!

Rookies should never try to handle big water like that. I have spent countless hours below Wheeler dam in Alabama. There are 11 generators there vs the 4 at loudon dam. Probably 30-40 spill gates at Wheeler. It is truly big water. I never even attempted it alone until I had fished with a friend down there for 3-4 years. It's dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Anyone with real experience would have known not to get in between two open spill gates. They basically got sucked under a massive waterfall that beat them out of the boat and tore off their life jackets.

Very tragic. People that have never been to Wheeler dam ask me about it all the time because they see the fish we catch. I tell them exactly how and where we catch our fish and promptly tell them to not even consider going unless it is with someone with lots of experience.

Latest posts

Back