Why do you hunt? Be honest…

Harold Money jr

I saw two yellow leaves blow off a tree today and my heart kinda fluttered a bit. That was my first, "oh boy, it'll be here soon thought." I'm neck deep in hay, my job and my sons sports and all I really think about is the pinch point that I'm gonna set a stand on for bow season, the woods pond that was magic last year, wondering if it'll be good this year. I'm thinking of the new old bow I bought and which draw hunts I'm gonna put in for. How to have the best training squirrel hunt for the neighbor kid since he missed a turkey with me last juvenile season. I think most of you are probably as in love with it as me. But, the preparation and thinking of it helps me get through the year. I'm still relishing the 2 lesser bucks I killed last year that I had a ball killing. My Dad thought hunting was a waste of good working time. I'm kinda the opposite.

Ski

My Dad thought hunting was a waste of good working time. I'm kinda the opposite.

Work is a means of trading part of yourself for things you need, want, and/or enjoy. It's a tightrope walk that requires balance. Work too little and can't afford the those things. But work too much and you won't have time for them. Too many people work their lives away only to realize too late that they missed the living part of life. Enjoy as much as you can while you can!

Buzzard Breath

I saw two yellow leaves blow off a tree today and my heart kinda fluttered a bit. That was my first, "oh boy, it'll be here soon thought." I'm neck deep in hay, my job and my sons sports and all I really think about is the pinch point that I'm gonna set a stand on for bow season, the woods pond that was magic last year, wondering if it'll be good this year. I'm thinking of the new old bow I bought and which draw hunts I'm gonna put in for. How to have the best training squirrel hunt for the neighbor kid since he missed a turkey with me last juvenile season. I think most of you are probably as in love with it as me. But, the preparation and thinking of it helps me get through the year. I'm still relishing the 2 lesser bucks I killed last year that I had a ball killing. My Dad thought hunting was a waste of good working time. I'm kinda the opposite.
Great description.

But you left out the part where you tell your wife you didn't get a good night's sleep and when she asks why, you tell her, "because I've been up since 3 thinking about which stand I'm going to hunt on the first cold morning in October". Real conversation.

Harold Money jr

Buzzard,
You are so right!! I forgot that in my 40 something years of hunting and fishing I still don't sleep well at all and extremely rarely the alarm wakes me up because I'm up checking the wind app to see if anything has changed. My wife knows I'm restless all night before.

knightrider

Buzzard,
You are so right!! I forgot that in my 40 something years of hunting and fishing I still don't sleep well at all and extremely rarely the alarm wakes me up because I'm up checking the wind app to see if anything has changed. My wife knows I'm restless all night before.
Im that way the whole season

Bloodwolf1984

Mostly because I love deer more than beef...it tastes better and is better for you...the fact that it keeps me connected to nature and is fun to do is a bonus

Iglow

We been at it from the getgo. Natural as can be.
Somebody asked me about hunting being a sport and I replied it was more closely related to finding an apple tree in the woods and getting a few or picking wild blackberries or something like that . Nature produced something edible and you went and got it then ate it.
IMG_4112.jpeg

Last edited:

Iglow

My nephew, who had never hunted anything or done anything outdoors wanted to go duck hunting for some reason at age 32. So I said ok but you may never be the same after. We went, worked some ducks, shot a few and all. He call me a week later and said" when those ducks worked down and got close my heart was beating so hard, what was that? " I told him it was the reason you go hunting. And as predicted, hunting and fishing have become a major portion of his life, he's 42 now.

WTNBowHunter

Lots of reasons for me, and a lot will be on repeat from others but, I just felt the need to start with my why. I love being outside enjoying what God, the God of the Bible that is, has created. His intelligent design is everywhere in creation and it's awesome to have the opportunity to enjoy what He has made. Praise the Lord! Next, my dad got me and my brother into hunting as kids and I love being able to take my kids doing the same as my dad. Excitement keeps me going back, but my goal has shifted from "me harvesting excitement" to "watching my kids get one excitement" which trumps mine every day of the week. Just a ton to unpack here but I flat out love it!

Latest posts