• Help Support TNDeer:

Wilson County 12

midTNmoose

This guy has been showing up about once a week. This is only daylight pictures. Any guess on age?
1000004816.webp
1000004807.webp

Attachments

• 1000004810.webp
    1000004810.webp
    885.8 KB · Views: 1
Here's an interesting publication aging deer in Tennessee based on number of antler points. One of the points made it:

The best habitat property I work with in TN has an average of 26% of 2 1/2 year-old bucks with 9 or more points. However, that's extremely abnormal. Another nearby property is only 9%. My own property, over the last 20 years, has been 7.2%. But most woodland habitat properties in TN run 5% or less.

The best habitat property I work with in TN has an average of 26% of 2 1/2 year-old bucks with 9 or more points. However, that's extremely abnormal. Another nearby property is only 9%. My own property, over the last 20 years, has been 7.2%. But most woodland habitat properties in TN run 5% or less.
I wonder, too, when reading this if it may be a bit dated being almost 20 years old. Even though the soils and genetics haven't changed significantly, the impacts of management practices have. If a person does have any significant amount of property to manage, investing in spring/summer nutrition/minerals would likely have a good ROI. I'd imagine even doing proper soil amendments on spring/summer food sources would have an discernable impact. Its also interesting that the author noted a genetic advantage in the areas around Scott, Morgan and Campbell counties.

I wonder, too, when reading this if it may be a bit dated being almost 20 years old. Even though the soils and genetics haven't changed significantly, the impacts of management practices have. If a person does have any significant amount of property to manage, investing in spring/summer nutrition/minerals would likely have a good ROI. I'd imagine even doing proper soil amendments on spring/summer food sources would have an discernable impact. Its also interesting that the author noted a genetic advantage in the areas around Scott, Morgan and Campbell counties.

I suspect much has changed in the amount of land that is now managed just for deer. In TN, it's more than most would imagine. But for the areas that just naturally produce top-end antlers due to soil quality, I used to think one of the best areas of the state was the core of Nashville Basin, centered around Williamson and southern Davidson counties. That is, until I started to work in the sinkhole plain of northcentral TN. That area produces deer that are jaw-dropping, equally anything I've seen from southcentral KY (because it's the same soil).

I believe the buck depicted above is 4 1/2 or older.

As to the comment of only around 5% of TN bucks younger than 3 1/2 having 9 or more points, it's not much more than 5% of TN bucks OLDER than 3 1/2 having 9 or more (mainframe) points!

Talking "mainframe" tines, not sticker & non-typical points that do often erupt when a buck reaches 5 1/2 or older. Many of these sticker/non-typical "points" are commonly less than an inch long, and don't officially count as a "point", but they can certainly add some unique "character" to a buck's rack, making it more of a unique trophy.

I believe the buck depicted above is 4 1/2 or older.

As to the comment of only around 5% of TN bucks younger than 3 1/2 having 9 or more points, it's not much more than 5% of TN bucks OLDER than 3 1/2 having 9 or more (mainframe) points!

Talking "mainframe" tines, not sticker & non-typical points that do often erupt when a buck reaches 5 1/2 or older. Many of these sticker/non-typical "points" are commonly less than an inch long, and don't officially count as a "point", but they can certainly add some unique "character" to a buck's rack, making it more of a unique trophy.
Depends on where you are.

In the forementioned top area of the sinkhole plain, on one property, it's been running 66.2% mature bucks with 9 or more typical points. On the other, 90.1%. On a property (very well managed and no high-grading) I work with along a major river system (read: plenty of bottomland agriculture) in Hickman County, it's 67.7%. On my own property, 54.2%

Back