• Help Support TNDeer:

Would you rather?

If the bullet types are not made for the game you're hunting, I would still rather have a heavier grain and more energy.
You're missing the point tho. Energy means nothing. Take a nosler partition and a nosler ballistic tip. Same weights, same caliber, same cartridge. SD is the same, energy the same, velocity the same, but they'll react totally different.

I won't say heavier bullets don't have advantages, but not in the way it's being argued.

You're missing the point tho. Energy means nothing. Take a nosler partition and a nosler ballistic tip. Same weights, same caliber, same cartridge. SD is the same, energy the same, velocity the same, but they'll react totally different.

I won't say heavier bullets don't have advantages, but not in the way it's being argued.
I'm not pissing the point. I'm answering the question that was originally asked.

"You have two choices.

-A 55 grain bullet traveling 3700fps
-A 100 grain bullet traveling 2800fps

Which do you choose and why?

Bullet construction in both rounds is suitable for deer-sized game."

Like I said in my previous post. I would rather have a heavier grain and more energy for this scenario.

You are comparing apples to oranges with NP and NBT bullets. I will take the NP all day long, for this scenario. Yes, they will perform totally different but that is what they're designed to do.

I'm not pissing the point. I'm answering the question that was originally asked.

"You have two choices.

-A 55 grain bullet traveling 3700fps
-A 100 grain bullet traveling 2800fps

Which do you choose and why?

Bullet construction in both rounds is suitable for deer-sized game."

Like I said in my previous post. I would rather have a heavier grain and more energy for this scenario.

You are comparing apples to oranges with NP and NBT bullets. I will take the NP all day long, for this scenario. Yes, they will perform totally different but that is what they're designed to do.
Which one has more energy at the muzzle, the 55 or the 100. And how does that actually translate to anything useful. I can tell you, it's not the 100gr bullet at 2800fps.

I'm surprised nobody flat-out chose the 55gr.

This question was something I was thinking about while confirming zeros on a couple rifles. One for my son this season and one for me.

The 55gr projectile at 3,800fps is the 22-250 that my son will hunt with this. The bullet is a Sierra that my grandfather hand loaded. It's the recipe he worked up for this rifle 30yrs ago.

The 100gr is a 250 Savage that I will be using. The bullet is Hornady Interlock. I'll hunt with this rifle until I kill a deer with it. Which may be a while since I don't get to hunt much outside of muzzleloader season.
You just made it real easy!

There weren't many 55g .22 cal bullets at 3800fps made 30y ago that will penetrate thru vitals on a deer.

If you are going with a 22cal at those velocities, I'd recommend a monumetal bullet like Barnes, or at least a crazy tough bonded bullet like swift or Nosler Partition.

You just made it real easy!

There weren't many 55g .22 cal bullets at 3800fps made 30y ago that will penetrate thru vitals on a deer.

If you are going with a 22cal at those velocities, I'd recommend a monumetal bullet like Barnes, or at least a crazy tough bonded bullet like swift or Nosler Partition.
I don't know the velocity, but I'm pretty sure this one was shot using a vmax, in a 22-250. I was told an sst but Hornady doesn't make an sst in 22cal. Could have been an nbt, but I didn't load nor shoot the animal, just ate it
IMG_8693.webp

Latest posts

Back