• Help Support TNDeer:

Would you rather?

The 100 grn but 800 lbs elk are killed regularly with 30-06s, for scale of size if an 06 is ok for elk a 223 type round for 150 lbs deer shouldn't be outta bounds?
Their killing elk regularly with 223 without a problem, two of the biggest bull poaching cases ive seen were with 22 mags, animals aren't hard to kill with accuracy

I'm surprised nobody flat-out chose the 55gr.

This question was something I was thinking about while confirming zeros on a couple rifles. One for my son this season and one for me.

The 55gr projectile at 3,800fps is the 22-250 that my son will hunt with this. The bullet is a Sierra that my grandfather hand loaded. It's the recipe he worked up for this rifle 30yrs ago.

The 100gr is a 250 Savage that I will be using. The bullet is Hornady Interlock. I'll hunt with this rifle until I kill a deer with it. Which may be a while since I don't get to hunt much outside of muzzleloader season.

Come hunt the mountains with a 55 grain bullet and see how fast you change your mind. A doe and a muscular mature buck are 2 different animals when choosing a bullet. Any bullet will kill a deer but what holler and what ridge a mile away did he die on. But the question was about choice and 100gr would be my choice. Smallest bullet I ever used was 130 gr 270. And with factory loads that's pushing 3,000 FPS. Why use anything else if you want no recoil.

I'm surprised nobody flat-out chose the 55gr.

This question was something I was thinking about while confirming zeros on a couple rifles. One for my son this season and one for me.

The 55gr projectile at 3,800fps is the 22-250 that my son will hunt with this. The bullet is a Sierra that my grandfather hand loaded. It's the recipe he worked up for this rifle 30yrs ago.

The 100gr is a 250 Savage that I will be using. The bullet is Hornady Interlock. I'll hunt with this rifle until I kill a deer with it. Which may be a while since I don't get to hunt much outside of muzzleloader season.

I figured it was a Barnes at that speed.

Too bad you can't spin the 77 tmk, from all reports I've read it's a giant killer.

1725759472849.webp

Come hunt the mountains with a 55 grain bullet and see how fast you change your mind. A doe and a muscular mature buck are 2 different animals when choosing a bullet. Any bullet will kill a deer but what holler and what ridge a mile away did he die on. But the question was about choice and 100gr would be my choice. Smallest bullet I ever used was 130 gr 270. And with factory loads that's pushing 3,000 FPS. Why use anything else if you want no recoil.
I hunt the mountains as well, and. 55 grain bonded bullet out of a 22-250 or 223 will kill every buck where he stands with shot placement! Deer are not hard to kill, even the 300lbers drop like flies with shot placement

I didn't start the thread to argue. I was really wanting to learn what others would pick.

But I don't believe a deer hit with a 55gr bullet takes any longer to die than with a 130 gr bullet.

You could argue about shot placement but I think a poorly hit deer will run a long ways, regardless of caliber.

My son will eventually graduate to a larger cartridge but for now the 22-250 will be just fine.

Sectional Density

A bullet's sectional density also affects the amount of damage it can cause. Sectional density (a bullet's weight in pounds divided by its diameter squared) describes a bullet's length for its diameter: The higher the number, the longer the bullet. Generally speaking, the larger a bullet's sectional density, the deeper it will penetrate.

Speed is only 1 factor here is another that folks want to overlook, I love my 243 but my 300wm carries more energy with 50g more bullet a lot farther. I have had the most bang flops from muzzle loader, then the 243 with 300wm bringing up the rear, I'm sure you can kill any animal with a 22 or a 22 mag but without a perfect shot you might never find it. Have shot several deer with the 300wm that ran 100y, never had runners anywhere near that with the others, that said I don't shoot bone, lung/heart shots with lungs being a bigger target in a quick situation has always worked well for me except for 1 doe that refused to die with 2 250g through the lungs. shot with a smokeless savage 50y first shot 75y the 2nd time, both in the lungs within 2" of each other 1 from either side. Lungs had 2 holes where both passed through. too hard of a bullet and didn't transfer enough energy to jelly the lungs. I normally pour the lungs out but not that old gal lol

Sectional Density

A bullet's sectional density also affects the amount of damage it can cause. Sectional density (a bullet's weight in pounds divided by its diameter squared) describes a bullet's length for its diameter: The higher the number, the longer the bullet. Generally speaking, the larger a bullet's sectional density, the deeper it will penetrate.

Speed is only 1 factor here is another that folks want to overlook, I love my 243 but my 300wm carries more energy with 50g more bullet a lot farther. I have had the most bang flops from muzzle loader, then the 243 with 300wm bringing up the rear, I'm sure you can kill any animal with a 22 or a 22 mag but without a perfect shot you might never find it. Have shot several deer with the 300wm that ran 100y, never had runners anywhere near that with the others, that said I don't shoot bone, lung/heart shots with lungs being a bigger target in a quick situation has always worked well for me except for 1 doe that refused to die with 2 250g through the lungs. shot with a smokeless savage 50y first shot 75y the 2nd time, both in the lungs within 2" of each other 1 from either side. Lungs had 2 holes where both passed through. too hard of a bullet and didn't transfer enough energy to jelly the lungs. I normally pour the lungs out but not that old gal lol
Please explain how energy directly translates to faster or better kills, more hemorrhaging, or anything else that might matter here. Please show the difference of a projectile with 2000 ft lbs of energy and one with 3500 ft lbs. According you, your smokeless load didn't produce enough energy, but it started out well over 2000ft lbs, and probably closer to 3000, at the range you stated it retained roughly 80% of the muzzle energy, but it didn't have enough. You are correct on one thing, the bullet was too hard, but the energy never mattered.

Let's look at cartridge A. Shooting a 150 gr projectile with an SD at .226. Velocity is at 2750. Energy is at 2519

Cartridge B. Shooting a 100gr projectile with an SD at .216. Velocity at 3200. Energy is 2274.

Which is better and why.

Shoot em in the ear hole or between the eyes drt doesn't matter if ifs a 22 or or a .460.
😆 But I shoot a 30-06 with a 165/168 grain bullet.

I'll buck the grain and go with the lighter bullet. I want the smallest, least devastating round while still being able to effectively and efficiently kill the deer. I also prefer broadside double lung whenever possible to avoid unnecessary damage to meat. Slow cooked whole shoulder with onions, taters, celery, and carrots is one of my favorite meals. If at all possible I want no damage to shoulders, backstraps, hams, or neck. I eat my deer so I want every morsel of meat I can get.

That said I understand situations where it's not possible and situations where dropping the deer on spot or very near is important. A bigger round has its place there. I'm pragmatic. The situational circumstances ultimately dictate what I use and how I aim. But my ideal choice would be small hole through ribs and lungs.

Shoot em in the ear hole or between the eyes drt doesn't matter if ifs a 22 or or a .460.
😆 But I shoot a 30-06 with a 165/168 grain bullet.
When I used to go rifle season that's what I used. 30-06 165gr BT Elk, Dear, Bear, Antelope, etc. Son used .270

I didn't start the thread to argue. I was really wanting to learn what others would pick.

But I don't believe a deer hit with a 55gr bullet takes any longer to die than with a 130 gr bullet.

You could argue about shot placement but I think a poorly hit deer will run a long ways, regardless of caliber.

My son will eventually graduate to a larger cartridge but for now the 22-250 will be just fine.
Now you know that any thread you start is going to start an argument 🤣 .
What it basically boils down to is ethics, and skill.

Please explain how energy directly translates to faster or better kills, more hemorrhaging, or anything else that might matter here. Please show the difference of a projectile with 2000 ft lbs of energy and one with 3500 ft lbs. According you, your smokeless load didn't produce enough energy, but it started out well over 2000ft lbs, and probably closer to 3000, at the range you stated it retained roughly 80% of the muzzle energy, but it didn't have enough. You are correct on one thing, the bullet was too hard, but the energy never mattered.

Let's look at cartridge A. Shooting a 150 gr projectile with an SD at .226. Velocity is at 2750. Energy is at 2519

Cartridge B. Shooting a 100gr projectile with an SD at .216. Velocity at 3200. Energy is 2274.

Which is better and why.
depends on distance. Both have enough energy and velocity to kill a deer. But, distance will determine which bullet will still have enough energy/ velocity to kill effectively down range
My choice would be 150gr because I prefer energy over velocity. Simply because, I don't have many opportunities to shoot past 2-300yds. Within this distance most rounds will have plenty of velocity.

depends on distance. Both have enough energy and velocity to kill a deer. But, distance will determine which bullet will still have enough energy/ velocity to kill effectively down range
My choice would be 150gr because I prefer energy over velocity. Simply because, I don't have many opportunities to shoot past 2-300yds. Within this distance most rounds will have plenty of velocity.
Neither choice was a good choice if one is a fmj and the other is frangible. You pick a bullet based on how it works, and use it within the velocity range it was intended to be used. The one exception would be heavy for caliber, tipped match bullets. I don't know why, but from the evidence out there they just plain work. Which is why I had no issue loading you what did. They'll flat work and work efficiently.

SD is a just an arbitrary number of a ratio. It just doesn't tell you much. Same with energy. You can have bullets with the same energy numbers that react vastly different simply because of the way they're constructed.

Neither choice was a good choice if one is a fmj and the other is frangible. You pick a bullet based on how it works, and use it within the velocity range it was intended to be used. The one exception would be heavy for caliber, tipped match bullets. I don't know why, but from the evidence out there they just plain work. Which is why I had no issue loading you what did. They'll flat work and work efficiently.

SD is a just an arbitrary number of a ratio. It just doesn't tell you much. Same with energy. You can have bullets with the same energy numbers that react vastly different simply because of the way they're constructed.
If the bullet types are not made for the game you're hunting, I would still rather have a heavier grain and more energy.

You're about to take a shot at a mature whitetail deer at 150yds.

You have two choices.

-A 55 grain bullet traveling 3700fps
-A 100 grain bullet traveling 2800fps

Which do you choose and why?

Bullet construction in both rounds is suitable for deer-sized game.
I'd venture to say 99% of the people would shoot the 55 grain bullet much more accurate than the other.

I like the heaviest, largest caliber rifles that I can get my hands on, because I can shoot 'em anywhere near the vitals and still kill em. Shot placement isn't nearly as important with larger calibers, plus they blow them off their feet.

Tongue in cheek setting on. Which means I'm joking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back