• Help Support TNDeer:

Would you shoot this on public or let him grow?

TNBrent

Ahh the pitfalls of public land hunting: Young deer with great potential, but I'm worried about his chances on public this season. If someone is going to take him this year I would like it to be me, but I'd like him even more in 2025 or 6... I also have a mature 8 in the area that is my primary target this year. I would love to let this younger deer walk but don't want to hear a shot 5 minutes after I let him pass.... If he came under your stand on public would you let him grow or take him?

Attachments

• 01.webp
    01.webp
    209.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 02.webp
    02.webp
    198.2 KB · Views: 1
A person can pass up on a deer on private land and it get shot 5 minutes later as well. I have passed up a couple of small deer on public land. I would not pass up a shot on one like this. I've never hunted public land where I was allowed to leave a camera out (never asked permission on WMA) so I never had a specific deer to worry about unless I laid eyes on him.

I don't care about big antlers. I've shot a couple of nice deer and did not have them mounted; I'm not interested in having any deer mounted. I prefer something with enough meat to make it worthwhile including a large doe. This deer has enough meat on its bones for me. You may not feel the same since you are asking about this deer.

If you are really interested in getting that 8-point, then pass this one up. Maybe you'll get the eight and maybe not but no big deal if that fits your objective for hunting. Next season, this deer and the eight may still be out there.

I would unload my quiver or my magazine or all my ML speed loaders until that deer was DRT. (Dead right there).

I don't get all wrapped up in the one shot one kill thing. Shooting is fun and I'm not dressed up and spending my time in the woods to be nice to nice bucks.

Latest posts

Back