• Help Support TNDeer:

Acorn Report

I noticed a Chestnut Oak that was loaded with Acorns last week. There's been 4 Does and a Fawn eating them each morning.

I haven't gotten to check any White Oaks yet.

It seemed early for them to be eating those Chestnut Oak acorns.

I noticed a Chestnut Oak that was loaded with Acorns last week. There's been 4 Does and a Fawn eating them each morning.

I haven't gotten to check any White Oaks yet.

It seemed early for them to be eating those Chestnut Oak acorns.

I've never seen chestnut oaks fail to produce. On my place they seem to be the first and last to drop and all in between. Not a favorite for deer but they sure eat them when there's nothing else.

I've never seen chestnut oaks fail to produce. On my place they seem to be the first and last to drop and all in between. Not a favorite for deer but they sure eat them when there's nothing else.
That used to be the case on my place. But recently, we've only had 1 Chestnut Oak crop in the last 5 years.

My place, Humphreys County, almost no White family acorns at all. Only acorns are on trees in the Red family. About 1 in 10 Red Oaks carrying, and probably 1 in 3 Black Oaks. Almost zero on the White, Mountain Chestnut, or Post Oaks. And for all I know, this drought may be killing the acorns currently on the Reds and Blacks.

My place, Humphreys County, almost no White family acorns at all. Only acorns are on trees in the Red family. About 1 in 10 Red Oaks carrying, and probably 1 in 3 Black Oaks. Almost zero on the White, Mountain Chestnut, or Post Oaks. And for all I know, this drought may be killing the acorns currently on the Reds and Blacks.
Looks like food plots may be king this year in our area….if we can only get some rain.

And my food plots are a disaster! This is going to be 2022 all over again. Worst year we've had in the last 20 years.
We planted 2 weeks ago in KY based on a rain chance. NADA! Taking a pump up there this week to water what we can from the creek.

Northern middle seeing scattered whites and reds are loaded. Our persimmons this year are very sparce. Did see paw paws loaded up saturday though.

That's strange. Has there been some kind of major change to the property? Doesn't seem like chestnut oaks to not produce much.
More a change in the climate I would guess. In fact, my white and red oaks have been going through a strange series of boom or bust years. Never seen anything like it. Ever since 2019 (when we were hit by the hurricane remnants that downed many, many trees along KY Lake), it has either been a huge boom year for acorns or a near total bust. No "moderate" years at all.

Seeing this some with white oak, also seeing a few red oak acorns on the ground already, but they look normal.
I think that is because Reds, having set the previous year, grow all summer. Most of mine look fully formed and have since late July. However, Whites do most of their growing in August and September. So the Whites are getting wiped out by this drought while the Reds were already fully formed by the time the drought hit.

Oh I've seen them fail. They are the predominant trees on our property, followed by whites. 2022, we found ZERO acorns on over 600 acres. All else about the species is spot on - drop first, not a favorite but they sure get consumed

Latest posts

Back