• Help Support TNDeer:

Boltguns?

Are boltguns archery equipment?

• Yes

• No

• Are CBs archery equipment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shanman

After watching the "Baiting" thread, was wondering how many agree that boltguns are archery equipment?
I'm personally for youth and handicap using them by the way.
***Sorry guys, tried to edit it and screwed it up 🙄…... just "yes" or "no" please.
Should have put CB instead of BG, I completely forgot about the air guns that shoot bolts. So yes….crossbows.

Last edited:
Nothing archery about it. It's an air rifle with weird bullet. Doesn't mean I'm against it. I just don't think it qualifies as archery.

That said I don't consider crossbows archery either. Not against them but they're not archery. IMO archery requires drawing the bow and holding until release. If the bow has a stock that rests against your shoulder or bipod, is pre-cocked, safety set until your ready to pull a trigger, then it's not a bow. It's a gun.

I don't get understand the crossbow hate from people who shoot modern compound bows. I was against crossbow usage at first but I have since converted to the dark side after many years and shoot a crossbow. They have their pros and cons, but they are definitely more cumbersome than a compound bow, and I've had to pass shots with a crossbow in my hands that I could have taken if I had had a compound bow in my hands.

I am concerned about people who try to take unethical distance shots with a crossbow, but has anyone watched any YouTube hunters using compound bows lately? There are several guys who brag about taking 100yd+ shots with a compound bow on game, and some who advocate for bow shots up the poop chute.

Last edited:
Oh I get the hate all right, most of them shoot something with a lot of cables and pulleys then want to condemn anything else as not Archery, a arrow or a bolt is archery no matter how it was launched imo. right now I think handicap can shoot 1 during bow season, no hate from me on any weapon but what it does is drive me to pray for open season with any weapon and piss on the {purists} 🤣 , I'm sorry for the long bow hunters I think archery season should only be for you all 😂

Yes on crossbows being archery and they've been around since medieval times.

Same argument against them from the archery snobs as there was when the Bear Whitetail hunter hit the market. I started out with a Pearson recurve in the 70s and never was a great shot with it. Transitioned to a compound when they came out, and heard same crap from traditional guys. Same arguments again when overdraws came out too. Killed lots of deer & 4 bulls with them but that came to an end with two neck surgeries that prohibit me pulling a bow. Actually quit archery hunting for 5-6 years because of stigmatism attached to crossbows. Bought one 4 years ago and now back archery hunting. Still a close up game of 30 yds max for me and glad I have the option.

I don't get the crossbow hate from people who shoot modern compound bows. I was against crossbow usage at first but I have since converted to the dark side after many years and shoot a crossbow. They have their pros and cons, but they are definitely more cumbersome than a compound bow, and I've had to pass shots with a crossbow in my hands that I could have taken if I had had a compound bow in my hands.

I am concerned about people who try to take unethical distance shots with a crossbow, but has anyone watched any YouTube hunters using compound bows lately? There are several guys who brag about taking 100yd+ shots with a compound bow on game, and some who advocate for bow shots up the poop chute.
I too converted to a crossbow from compound bows. I can pull back 90 pounds if I need to but it's holding back that destroys my shoulders even with a 50 pound draw weight and 70% let off I can't hold back for more than about 5 seconds. Now I do have two highspeed Tenpoint Crossbows the Stealth NXT shoots a 455 grain arrow at 390 FPS and my Vengent S440 shoots the same arrow at 420 FPS. But I still keep my shots within 50 yards even though both bows are capable of much more but I still have the compound bow mentality. Kind of like turkey hunting I use TSS and could definitely shoot further than 40 but that is my personal limit. But if I misjudge a little I still have wiggle room. And there are definitely disadvantages to a crossbow like weight, quick follow up shots and manuevering it while in a stand when compared to a compound bow.

Oh I get the hate all right, most of them shoot something with a lot of cables and pulleys then want to condemn anything else as not Archery, a arrow or a bolt is archery no matter how it was launched imo. right now I think handicap can shoot 1 during bow season, no hate from me on any weapon but what it does is drive me to pray for open season with any weapon and piss on the {purists} 🤣 , I'm sorry for the long bow hunters I think archery season should only be for you all 😂
Point taken, I fixed my post to clarify my meaning

I too converted to a crossbow from compound bows. I can pull back 90 pounds if I need to but it's holding back that destroys my shoulders even with a 50 pound draw weight and 70% let off I can't hold back for more than about 5 seconds. Now I do have two highspeed Tenpoint Crossbows the Stealth NXT shoots a 455 grain arrow at 390 FPS and my Vengent S440 shoots the same arrow at 420 FPS. But I still keep my shots within 50 yards even though both bows are capable of much more but I still have the compound bow mentality. Kind of like turkey hunting I use TSS and could definitely shoot further than 40 but that is my personal limit. But if I misjudge a little I still have wiggle room. And there are definitely disadvantages to a crossbow like weight, quick follow up shots and manuevering it while in a stand when compared to a compound bow.
And my crossbows are cheap centerpoints, one of which I caught on clearance, and the other was given to me. They are surprisingly accurate, but loud and a pain to reload in the stand

Neither is true Archery. I'm not bashing here, but what makes a bow more challenging is not the distance but the movement involved in drawing as an animal approaches. I am no longer able to shoot a bow as accurately as I used to so I made the switch to crossbow a couple of years ago. I would still rather have my compound even though I can shoot my crossbow accurately farther than I could my regular bow at my very best. However, I have found that even though it shoots that far accurately, it does not penetrate well past 40 maybe 50 with the perfect shot. So 50 seems the stretch for any arrow combo.

Latest posts

Back