• Help Support TNDeer:

Broadheads.

I'll be shooting magnus buzzcuts and maybe some old Swhackers that I stocked up on during a close out sale.

Muzzy 100s for my compound.
Muzzy Trocar 100s for my xbow.

When I first started bow hunting in 2001, I tried mechanicals. After a couple of failures, I switched to fixed.

I know lots of people have good success with mechanicals, but I don't have any problems making up ways to blow an opportunity🤣🤣, so I like to eliminate as many things I can control!

What do you use to sharpen a blade with?

The first thing I do with a two blade like a Zwickey or ACE is to take a file and put a longer bevel on the edge. If done right, they'll shave hair right after, but the edge will be rough. Most factory bevels are too steep for my liking.

Then I move to an Arkansas stone and leather strop if needed. When they shave hair with minimal effort, I'm done.

Magnus Stinger 4 Blade 100Grain. I am 2 for 2 on good bucks the last 2 years. Both didn't run over 40 yards. I just bought and going to try the Magnus Single Bevels 150Grain this year. I just don't want to have to retune my bow for them this close to season. I am currently shooting 3inch groups at 40yrds and don't want to mess it up.

Guess I'm just old school but I've been using Muzzy 100 three blade broadheads with replaceable Trocar tips and blades for probably 25 years. On both my compound bow and crossbows. I started archery with 85 grain Rocket Aeroheads (?) mechanicals back in the late 90's and they shot flat but had a couple of failures to open properly, ricochets off shoulder blades, and rubber blade retention bands that would come off during the hunt. And a bad thing I saw in all mechanicals I tried was you got one shot with them. Blades twisted badly when you hit bone, and certainly if you hit the edge of a tree, tree limb, or the ground. (None of us ever do that, right?) In contrast, Muzzy 100/125s penetrate really well, are cheap (often available at Walmart for almost nothing after the season), and I now have a lot of used (but still sharpenable and useful) blades as backup in case for some reason I ran low on inventory. I almost never release an arrow at anything more than 25 yards away (because its so easy for deer to jump/drop upon shooting), so wind isn't a factor on long shots I typically don't take. You can shoot a Muzzy 100 into the ground, brush off the dirt, straighten or replace a blade if you need to while in the fields, and just keep on hunting. And I've been reading bowhunting magazine evaluations of broadheads for many years and they are always rated highly.

The Muzzy system:

1722953970552.webp

The actual broadhead:

1722954033494.webp

Extra inventory:

1722954108151.webp

In case your arrow flies a little bit higher than just behind the front leg, the Muzzy will just crash on through:

1722954290672.webp

Stick bows Ace fix, Bear Razorheads without bleeders, Zwickey or other similar heads.
Compound bow just abought any good quality 2 blade – 5 blade fixed head that I don't need a lone for.

Latest posts

Back