• Help Support TNDeer:

Electric pole-saws

When we're moving stands, we're already carrying a ton of equipment, so extra weight/equipment is a concern. In fact, just the equipment and stand take four people. One is carrying the stand seat/basket (darn hard with a two-person ladder), one is carrying the ladder sections and crossbar, one is carrying a hand saw and pole saw, and the last is carry a full-sized chainsaw (for when we have to cut down entire trees). in my fanny pack will be the crisscross straps for going behind the tree, the ratchet strap(s) for the ladder, clippers, and a folding saw for pruning up in the stand.

When we're moving stands, we're already carrying a ton of equipment, so extra weight/equipment is a concern. In fact, just the equipment and stand take four people. One is carrying the stand seat/basket (darn hard with a two-person ladder), one is carrying the ladder sections and crossbar, one is carrying a hand saw and pole saw, and the last is carry a full-sized chainsaw (for when we have to cut down entire trees). in my fanny pack will be the crisscross straps for going behind the tree, the ratchet strap(s) for the ladder, clippers, and a folding saw for pruning up in the stand.
The deer keep us in shape don't they? 😂

I've found that gas-powered tools that get used once a year (we do all of our stand moving on one weekend) end up causing troubles in the long run. Gas-powered tools need to be run regularly to keep them in good working order. I ALWAYS struggle with me gas-powered yard tools when I go to use them for the first time each spring. They take a couple of uses before they run smoothly for the season.
Try running regular gas, ethanol free, and it should solve that issue.

That's all I use. Still problems when gas-power equipment has sat for months without being run.

I've found the same to be true. Even adding stabil....

The only thing I have gas powered now is my leaf blower. When it goes I'll get the 80 volt kobalt since I already have a few of those batteries.

Still problems when gas-power equipment has sat for months without being run.
IMO, owners/operators should crank 2 stroke and small engines (2 or 4 stroke) every month or two, and let them run for a few minutes for best results. This routine coupled with ethanol free gas has served me well for several decades.

IMO, owners/operators should crank 2 stroke and small engines (2 or 4 stroke) every month or two, and let them run for a few minutes for best results. This routine coupled with ethanol free gas has served me well for several decades.
I do the same. Usually use them last around September-October each year. Sometime around Christmas, I'll crank up and let all my machines run for a few minutes, including the mower. And usually habitat work begins in January-February with this equipment again.

If you know you aren't going to be using a small engine for an extended period, always good to try to remember to cut off the gas or drain it and run the engine until it runs out, may have to choke it to get it all out. That said, I have left gas in my garden tiller over the winter before, and gone out in the spring and cranked it on the third pull.

Not going to catch me in the basement cranking up my chainsaws and weed-eaters during the winter! Great idea, and I agree with you that it would help, but I can't even remember to put my lawnmower's battery on trickle charge for the winter, even though I have one. Getting old sucks.

As far as gas stuff. Keep it out of the sun, start it once a month. Letting it sit any longer will give you problems IMHO it don't matter what gas you use if you let it sit.

Way off topic, I'll be that guy. Bought a small Echo gas chainsaw the other year. I'll have to look and see what model.
Joker has been put through absolutely hell, hell and back is an understatement. Great little saw. Run non-ethanol in it, scared every time I crank it that it'll beat my ass. It's that serious of a machine!

That's why I went with the Stihl Kombi system. One power head that runs every attachment - weedeater, hedge trimmer, pole saw, etc. It gets used every month of the year in some cap
That's what I have but only use the pole saw and hedge trimmer. It's a beast!
I've found that gas-powered tools that get used once a year (we do all of our stand moving on one weekend) end up causing troubles in the long run. Gas-powered tools need to be run regularly to keep them in good working order. I ALWAYS struggle with me gas-powered yard tools when I go to use them for the first time each spring. They take a couple of uses before they run smoothly for the season.
I only use ethanol free gas and when I'm done with it and know I'm not going to use it for a while I'll pour the gas out and then run it until it stops so that there's no gas left in it. Knock on wood I haven't had issues from year to year doing that and they'll fire right up. Same thing with my chainsaws.

Anyone using an electric pole chainsaw for cutting shooting lanes around stands? I've been looking at them for this purpose, but there a ton of them and don't know if they are a worthwhile purchase.
I have the Dewalt. You will want to use at least the 5AH battery. But that thing is so quick and easy I can cut more than I want to clean up real fast

Latest posts

Back