• Help Support TNDeer:

Finally Caught Him/Her

Dbllunger

For the last three to four years while striper fishing I have had a fish tease me every time I pass him. I don't know if it is a him or her but we'll refer to it as a him for this. There is a very small stretch of river maybe just 25 yards long that almost always has a big fish in it. Over the last few years I have seen him no less than two dozen times. It is the same thing every time. Will follow my redfin up to the boat and never hit. He just casually follows and then ducks down into the water when he gets 7-8 feet from the boat. He simply will not hit the lure. I have caught many other fish in this hole over the last few years since I discovered this little spot but never this dude. I even gave it the name the "Look but don't touch hole". I fished there Sunday evening and as I passed by there he was. The same old routine. He ducked away and that was that. I have already seen him three or four times this year. Yesterday afternoon I went back to this same section of river and fished again. I made a few cast into this little spot and saw nothing. Oh well, he can't be there 24/7. On the fourth cast, here he comes. I saw him from about 25 feet out following up. At about 20 feet he ducks away but then comes right back up and follows again. He has done this before. At about 12 feet he goes to duck away a second time and he got a little to close and hooked himself in the top of the head. I about freaked out when all hell broke loose and he started pulling drag and running. A big fish like this one does whatever it wants. Luckily the hook was well embedded and the drag was properly set. After several minutes I managed to get him to the boat and in.

Lesson learned: Good sharp hooks. I had replaced the factory hooks on that lure before I left the house with brand new VMC 4x 3/0 hooks. They were razor sharp and strong. I think they made the difference.

He weighed 36 pounds on my Boga grips and measured 43 inches long. A true beast of a fish. I spent several minutes reviving him in the water and he swam off very well to hopefully return back to his little spot on the river. He still never took the lure but tempted fate one too many times. Maybe someday I'll trick him again.

Here are a few pics: The last picture is a smaller fish that is a 20 pounder for size comparison that I caught on Sunday.

nice fish! My personal best was 36lbs. I've lost several more much bigger due to inadequate tackle. Pics don't do him justice, but glad you got him back into the water safely. Those things can be hard to revive after a tough fight in summer temps. Hope he gets to keep entertaining you for another few more years!

Awesome! Nice job!

EDIT:

The more I thought about this.. the more I realized the pictures really don't do that fish justice! By the measurements, that's really impressive!

TNReb":35bmct5t said:
Awesome! Nice job!

EDIT:

The more I thought about this.. the more I realized the pictures really don't do that fish justice! By the measurements, that's really impressive!
Yes the pic doesn't do it justice at all. I have to try to use the timer to get a pic with me in it. I was so concerned with getting it back in the water quickly that I didn't want to take the time. I'll be prepared next time if my fishing partner isn't with me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Try a 3:16lures rising son. or a bullshad. big rock fish love them! the bull shads are not cheap but man do they work!

Dbllunger":1y3x106n said:
TNReb":1y3x106n said:
I have to try to use the timer to get a pic with me in it. I was so concerned with getting it back in the water quickly that I didn't want to take the time. I'll be prepared next time if my fishing partner isn't with me.

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/UBeesize-Tripod- ... dpSrc=srch

It comes with a bluetooth remote. Just connect your phone when you start fishing. Want to take a picture? Just open the camera on the phone and push the button on the remote. Pretty handy. I use it for recording golf swings mostly, but have used it for taking pictures with deer/turkey.

TNReb":1ro0vdry said:
Dbllunger":1ro0vdry said:
TNReb":1ro0vdry said:
I have to try to use the timer to get a pic with me in it. I was so concerned with getting it back in the water quickly that I didn't want to take the time. I'll be prepared next time if my fishing partner isn't with me.

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/UBeesize-Tripod- ... dpSrc=srch

It comes with a bluetooth remote. Just connect your phone when you start fishing. Want to take a picture? Just open the camera on the phone and push the button on the remote. Pretty handy. I use it for recording golf swings mostly, but have used it for taking pictures with deer/turkey.

I like the looks of that. I went ahead and ordered it. I have Amazon prime so it will be here by Friday. Thanks.

nice fish. question, are stripers not as common as they used to be? when i was a kid back in '79 or '80 we used to catch a boatload of them in Saltilo on the river ledge off a creek, Coffee landing and Pickwick dam. always in the last of march. big ones too. always caught them with carolina rigged crawfish pulled across the ledge, except for pickwick we used big rattle traps.

also, my step dad(dead now), always kept all of them but when i started back fishing when i ets out of the Army in '94 there was a limit on them, 2 i think. was there a limit on them back in the late 70's and early 80's?

WTM":13z4r9ew said:
nice fish. question, are stripers not as common as they used to be? when i was a kid back in '79 or '80 we used to catch a boatload of them in Saltilo on the river ledge off a creek, Coffee landing and Pickwick dam. always in the last of march. big ones too. always caught them with carolina rigged crawfish pulled across the ledge, except for pickwick we used big rattle traps.

also, my step dad(dead now), always kept all of them but when i started back fishing when i ets out of the Army in '94 there was a limit on them, 2 i think. was there a limit on them back in the late 70's and early 80's?
Unfortunately I'm not much help. I only started fishing for them about 10 years ago. The limit now is 2 fish and they must be 15 inches minimum I believe. I never keep them anyway as I enjoy eating bluegill and crappie much more. As far as numbers go, I don't know. TWRA stocks them and I'm not sure how many they stock each year. Based on length and weight, the 36 pounder I caught the other day is 14-15 years old.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back