• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing the thermocline

WTM

this may help some folks having a hard time finding fish as summer progresses and stratification becomes more predominate. its fairly easy to find, just turn up your sensitivity until you see the band form. keep in mind that lakes with current wont have a thermocline but the creeks and bays that feed them may. smaller, fertile public lakes will most definately have a pronounced thermocline. find some good structure or cover just above the thermocline and you will usually find fish.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/tips ... ng-success

https://www.catfishedge.com/thermocline-fishfinder/

Good reminder. I was just thinking about this the other day. I have always heard there is no thermocline on Kentucky Lake. And you mention lakes with current would not have one which makes sense. What about as you head into July on the Tennessee River. They don't pull near as much water in July and August because of the lack of rain. Could a thermocline setup during these times in the main channel?

NumberOne":3rrifuai said:
Good reminder. I was just thinking about this the other day. I have always heard there is no thermocline on Kentucky Lake. And you mention lakes with current would not have one which makes sense. What about as you head into July on the Tennessee River. They don't pull near as much water in July and August because of the lack of rain. Could a thermocline setup during these times in the main channel?

TVA will still move water through the generators, a lot more, during the hot months because of high demand peaks, and in august is when they normally start the draw down for winter pool.

there has been times when a cline has set up, but it is so slight that it doesnt make a difference as there is still oxygen below it for fish to survive. sometimes it will set up in some of the bays with more fertility/organic material.

Latest posts

Back