FT. CAMPBELL 2014

LIL JOKER

Just wondering if there are elmer turkey hunters also..I hope theg don't use a buggy or 4 wheeler to haul out there lil ole turkeys..

Super8

LIL JOKER said:
Just wondering if there are elmer turkey hunters also..I hope theg don't use a buggy or 4 wheeler to haul out there lil ole turkeys..

Elmers glue. Pour bottle on a tree stump and sit your butt down.

Turkey Elmers call each other in.

medwc

Super8 said:
LIL JOKER said:

Elmers glue. Pour bottle on a tree stump and sit your butt down.

Turkey Elmers call each other in.
I haven't seen many turkey Elmers but they are out there. I watched one sneak down through the tree line of a big field in area 32. lol, He snuck about 200 yards to my decoy setup until finally I had enough and walked out to my setup. He walked up while I was packing my stuff up and said "Sorry, I thought those were real turkeys." lol

Elmer

Serious question for guys that use a climber. How do you pack your stuff in to the camp? I ask because some of my spots are wAy back in and it's a pain in the rear. I am thinking of downsizing to a fanny pack but not sure it will be enough... Y'all have any tricks up your sleeve?

@fulldraw

I attach my backpack to my stand. If it's cold I'll strap my bibs and coat on as well. All together it weighs 45 lbs. You may think that is too much weight but with the right straps on your climber the weight doesn't matter. I put a molle waist and shoulder straps on mine to keep the stand from bouncing around on my back. I'll walk in any distance.

Mr.Bro

Same as @fulldraw.Backpack strapped to my 22lb Cougar Claw stand.Backpack with 2bottles of water, sandwiches binos,camera,rangefinder extra headlamp, backup release,gloves saw and often with outer wear strapped to it.Between 15 to 17 lbs. No problem, no sweat as long as i take it slow and easy..

Really though most of my best hunting areas are not to far from the road or easy access from nearby firebreak.

And im 61 years old.

tree_ghost

Do you have to apply for a permit just to go scout during the off season? Im pretty new to Tennessee and I hear a lot of guys talking about the Fort. I would love to go have a look around and try to get some ideas for stand placement come bow season. Wouldnt be opposed to someone showing me the ropes if theres someone out there who is willing to help an old GA boy.

@fulldraw

tree_ghost said:
Do you have to apply for a permit just to go scout during the off season? Im pretty new to Tennessee and I hear a lot of guys talking about the Fort. I would love to go have a look around and try to get some ideas for stand placement come bow season. Wouldnt be opposed to someone showing me the ropes if theres someone out there who is willing to help an old GA boy.

It's my understanding you need a permit to do anything in the training areas. Just give them a call at the rec office. They'll answer all your questions.

LIL JOKER

Well they not very big just a littke bigger then the summit bags u buy...I don't carry much knife-rope-and 6 mt dews lol