LBL Deer Hunting 2024

Andy S.

LBL Hunting Facebook account just posted this, so sharing with the group here:

"The new regulations for the 2024-2025 deer season on LBL are up. There are some big changes including harvest limits, trail camera setup time frames, and check in requirements. All good stuff to read before hunting. I noticed last year ALOT of people just walking around with rifles during the state gun season but out of the quota hunt dates. Be sure to read all rules and regulations and educate those in the field who are unfamiliar. Best of luck to all this hunting season and stay safe."

LBL Hunting Link

Buzzard Breath

Thanks for the link, I've been waiting on it. I just glanced at the general regs, but it looks like they've done away with their check stations requirements and it's just telecheck through TWRA.

Andy S.

^^^ Saw that as well. The exact verbiage for those who do not click the link: "All harvested deer must be checked on state deer harvest reporting systems according to state regulations."

USDA/USFS needs to update their website that still states "
  • During business hours hunters must check in their harvested deer and turkeys at the Central Hunter Check Station (KY), North Welcome Station (KY), or South Welcome Station (TN).
  • • After hours or when the check station is not staffed, hunters must self-check their harvested deer and turkeys at a Welcome Station or at the Central Hunter Check Station by completing a Harvest Self Check Out Card. They can be found in the brochure rack located at the check stations."

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Thank You, Andy, for posting this!

Something that needs emphasizing:

The LBL annual buck limit is one (1) period, and there are no "bonus" bucks at LBL.

This "one (1) period" can almost be an understatement!

Let's say you are drawn for a quota gun hunt at LBL this November,
but you get lucky and kill a buck at LBL while bowhunting LBL in October.
You may still hunt your November quota gun days, but you become "antlerLESS only".

Last but not least, let's say you were drawn for a November quota gun hunt on the TN side of LBL, but you get lucky and kill 2 bucks in some TN county prior to your LBL hunt. You may still hunt your November quota gun days at LBL, but you become "antlerLESS only".

TN "statewide" (generally meaning private property) has a 2-buck limit;
KY "statewide" (generally meaning private property) has a 1-buck limit.

Any buck taken at LBL counts towards its respective state's "statewide" buck limit.
And if you've already limited out in your state, you can't kill a buck that year at LBL.

I know many TN deer hunters don't "like" how this works, and it's certainly a "mixed blessing", but KY hunters are "one & done" if they kill "a" buck most anywhere in KY.

Andy S.

The LBL annual buck limit is one (1) period, and there are no "bonus" bucks at LBL.
True for adults per State (1 in TN & 1 in KY), but youth quota hunt buck is a bonus buck.

1718399264418.png

TheLBLman

Good catch, Andy!
I wasn't considering the youth in my previous post.

Just mainly wanting hunters to be aware that LBL non-youth quota gun hunt bucks are no longer "bonus", and are actually just a part of the "statewide" buck limit for either KY or TN.

Many WMAs, not just LBL, have been getting away from "bonus" bucks, and instead having WMA bucks, even for quota hunts, count towards the statewide bag limit. This is a significant change for the long-standing tradition of nearly all quota hunt bucks being a "bonus" (or in addition to a statewide bag limit).

Last edited:

Antler Daddy

KY added another adult hunt.

Thanksgiving is very late this year and first weekend in Nov is early hunting...I have to wait to see the dates for my #1 and #2 hunts and not sure when they will get posted.

We burned our points last year though so probably doesn't matter anyway.

Antler Daddy

The system is not cooperating. It does not recognize my email address even though they sent me an email. I think I used any preference points last year, but sure don't want to lose them by creating a new account.

Anyone else having any issues with the new system?

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Have TN LBL hunt point from last year. Applied this year for the TN LBL quota if I should get drawn besides the quota draw what license will I need? I have a TN Non Resident big game license.

TX300mag

My comment IS NOT DIRECTED directed towards you but rather the agency that sets the rules. Allowing a bonus buck based upon the hunters age or sex is clear cut discrimination.

Are you talking about letting the kids shoot a bonus buck on the youth hunt? That's not the easiest hunt for kids. Let them have their bonus buck if they come across one.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Are you talking about letting the kids shoot a bonus buck on the youth hunt? That's not the easiest hunt for kids. Let them have their bonus buck if they come across one.
You make a point but If one group gets one all should get one. 30-35 years ago TWRA had women only quota hunt zones at AEDC. This was done away with….perhaps because it was seen as discrimination based upon sex.

Flintlocksforme

You make a point but If one group gets one all should get one. 30-35 years ago TWRA had women only quota hunt zones at AEDC. This was done away with….perhaps because it was seen as discrimination based upon sex.
I remember that Natchez Trace had a women's only hunt back in the 80s. It was done away too. I remember hearing about a couple of men complaining about not being able to participate.

Latest posts