• Help Support TNDeer:

New challenge

That's not surprising. A cold bore 500 yard shot is quite a feat.

We often see discussions about whether a particular rifle can hold 1 MOA or .5 MOA. I believe that usually that's more of a shooter ability than a rifle ability. However those were competition rifles, I doubt many deer hunters would be using those. And the only shooter that could make the shot didn't even want to say what he had in his rifle, cost wise.

I think an interesting video would be a single expert marksman shooting various rifles from $1,000 to $10,000. I believe the result would be some $1,000 rifles right up there at the top. Maybe that video has already been done, I don't know.

We often see discussions about whether a particular rifle can hold 1 MOA or .5 MOA. I believe that usually that's more of a shooter ability than a rifle ability. However those were competition rifles, I doubt many deer hunters would be using those. And the only shooter that could make the shot didn't even want to say what he had in his rifle, cost wise.

I think an interesting video would be a single expert marksman shooting various rifles from $1,000 to $10,000. I believe the result would be some $1,000 rifles right up there at the top. Maybe that video has already been done, I don't know.
Couple things I noticed... 1) the only person to make the shot was using a rifle that he wouldn't admit the cost to. 2) his friend shot before him, so he used data acquired from him. 3) according to the "host" he took a really long time to make the shot. Wasn't shown, but he commented about it.

Love the commentating about "that deer would be *^%^% long gone" lol.
Yeah, glad I had the volume down on my phone. My 13 year old son had been standing right next to me less than a minute before the guy said that.
Looked like the guy that made "kill shot" had a wind meter next to him on his left side. Not something most of us carry with us to hunt whitetails.

A cold bore shot is the ONLY shot that matters on a hunting rifle, hence the reason mine are all cold bore zeroed. And I only saw one shot that completely missed and then a gut shot. The rest of them killed the crap out of that deer. Also, I think his MOA dot was a little small, iot should have been 5 inches at that distance, it looked to be about 3 to me.
Like I said earlier, Id give that a go.

I shoot with Dewayne and Joe some, they're great guys and I was hoping they'd hit them all.

Last edited:
I have taken elk at a little over 400 yds with a 30-06 when I hunted rifle seasons. Practice and practice and more practice. I hunt traditional muzzleloaders now. More of a challenge to me and more fun. Furthest shot was for elk at 147 yds.

I'd like to think I can shoot stuff far away, but I know I'm uncomfortable shooting a deer past 200 yards right now.

Its a perishable skill and I just don't make time to practice that. I usually only rezero before deer season and call it good.

The majority of the places i hunt I don't have a shot past 150 yards. The vast majority of the deer (probably 90 percent) I've killed have been inside 80 yards. The farthest I've ever killed a deer was probably 125 yards with my savage 220 and it was a long way through a tight window in the woods.

I'd like to think I can shoot stuff far away, but I know I'm uncomfortable shooting a deer past 200 yards right now.

Its a perishable skill and I just don't make time to practice that. I usually only rezero before deer season and call it good.

The majority of the places i hunt I don't have a shot past 150 yards. The vast majority of the deer (probably 90 percent) I've killed have been inside 80 yards. The farthest I've ever killed a deer was probably 125 yards with my savage 220 and it was a long way through a tight window in the woods.

It's fun to do and great practice. I enjoy the shooting and learning aspect of it. Get a few guys together, shoot and have a good time.

Not a snowballs chance in the hot place I'm shooting at a deer that far.

The majority of my shots are under 50yds, lol.

Latest posts

Back