• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Plant or Wait

And now the models have rain back in for Sunday-Tuesday.

I hate computer models. If I don't plant, it will rain. If I do plant, it won't rain.

I'm so glad I'm not a farmer.

So annoying. Im in west tn . Got 7 plots tilled up waitin! Hardeman county. Was planning on seeding friday or Saturday, relying on the forecast as of yesterday. Its dwindling away though
I'm west of you also and in the same boat (Pun?). I'm going to have to seed anyway as that will be my only chance for a few weeks.

Unless you want to break a very expensive piece of equipment, I wouldn't get a drill anywhere near my place! I destroyed a brand-new disk in 24 hours on my plots.

I'll be using a construction-grade tiller to turn about 2" of soil.

My "soil:"

You don't need a tiller. You need a pulverizer.

Saturday we plan on top sowing clover and some wheat into our clover plots. Possibly spraying Clethodim on them depending on how they look. Also mixing seems and calibrating the drill for if/when it rains, we'll be ready to go.

The models keep bouncing back and forth with rain/no-rain. One run, they say good rain. Next run, no rain. Run after that, rain is back.
Even when it has rain on the forecast, the chances are like 30-40 percent. Looks like now that has been increased a little.
Does having a 40 percent chance several days in a row increase the chance it'll actually happen? I'm doing a dance for good measure.
Might even wash my truck.

Last edited:
With so little rain in the forecast short-term and long-term (climate models suggest a very dry rest of September and October for us), I've changed my mind about how I'm going to plant. Soil moisture will be at a premium this year, and turned ground loses soil moisture very rapidly. To preserve what little soil moisture we have, and as late in the year as it is, I'm just going to go with simply throw-and-mow planting. Normally, I don't prefer this method because germination rates are very low and this type of planting prevents the use of large-seeded plant. But this year, with the huge acorn crop in my area, and the ever-shortening growing season, I'll just forgo the large-seeded plants and use a basic cereal grain and annual clover mix. Those two do fairly well in throw-and-mow.

With so little rain in the forecast short-term and long-term (climate models suggest a very dry rest of September and October for us), I've changed my mind about how I'm going to plant. Soil moisture will be at a premium this year, and turned ground loses soil moisture very rapidly. To preserve what little soil moisture we have, and as late in the year as it is, I'm just going to go with simply throw-and-mow planting. Normally, I don't prefer this method because germination rates are very low and this type of planting prevents the use of large-seeded plant. But this year, with the huge acorn crop in my area, and the ever-shortening growing season, I'll just forgo the large-seeded plants and use a basic cereal grain and annual clover mix. Those two do fairly well in throw-and-mow.

That's exactly my thoughts and how I'm approaching my plots. Began in late August throwing seed out and will continue probably through mid October. It'll germinate in layers. Won't make a big lush plot but it'll be a layered mix of plants and tenderness. I'm using oats, wheat, triticale, rye, and crimson clover. Also a few scattered peas and brassica although I don't expect much from it. I've seen peas that didn't germinate with the rest of the crop sprout in January & February after laying all fall on the ground. So that's what I'm hoping for. Tough year for plots.

Latest posts

Back